Thai culture that are different from western culture

EricTh

“The greater the social and cultural distances between people, the more magical the light can spring from their contact.”

Milan Kundera, in "Les Testaments Trahis" (published in English as "The Testaments Betrayed," translated by Linda Asher)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Rubbish - just mad islamic ones and tin pot African and Asian ones. other countries its called humour.

Imagine if Python had done Life of Mohammed

Laszlo Toth didn't do too well in Vatican City. He was hospitalised in a psychiatric institution for two years.

You seem to be confusing actions outside religious places with expected behavior within them.

I am not religious; however, inside any place of religion I think it's reasonable to observe whatever rules pertain.

• Like 1

"No touching people on the head' seems to be an enduring myth. I'm not sure that western culture requires frequent head handling of strangers. There is no real cultural prohibition on this (except with monks of course).

Maybe holding hands is safer for most people. Thais, even those you have just met, seem to have no aversion to this. In fact, most kinds of mild flirting, including gentle touching, seem to be socially acceptable.

• Like 1

Recommended reading for all considering visiting, working, living in Thailand: “Thailand Fever”. Typically arranged. One page in English, the facing page the equivalent in Thai language. There were many other sociologically, historically oriented books I read before coming but the aforementioned is a general easily read book.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Don't raise your voice with them like you do in western countries." I have raised my voice on two occasions to immigration officers, and won both times because I knew I was right,.

You are lucky that you haven't met any nasty government officials yet. Someday you will find that what I've said here is true and you'll regret raising your voice.

Edited by EricTh

6 hours ago, ballpoint said:
7 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Do you have to go to Immigration in your own country?  i don't!

I stand in front of immigration in my own country every time I return to it and leave again.  How do you do it?

In the UK you don't see immigration on the way out and go through automatic doors on the way in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

You are lucky that you haven't met any nasty government officials yet. Someday you will find that what I've said here is true and you'll regret raising your voice.

I have met two nasty IOs. I can count the Immigration offices I have been in on the fingers of one hand, apart from the years I worked as a schooI teacher. I have lived here in Thailand for nearly 14 years.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, EricTh said:

Well, you won’t do that again. Why did you do it at all?

>I thought it is better to warn all westerners who are newbies in Thailand. 

I thought it is better to warn you that you have a huge grammar mistake in your title.

Everybody makes spelling mistakes, but at least in the title you could do a little effort to get that right, especially if you are writing a post where you pretend to be "Mr I know everything better". Thai culture are?

>1. Do not cross Zebra crossing when there is a car coming, they won't stop for you. Wait for cars to pass first before crossing.

Also a bit BS, there are definitely cars that stop, the ones that will not stop you can detect in advance, use common sense. Similar to in Europe (although in different numbers), some cars do not stop, I would not advise Thai tourists visiting western countries to "jump in front of a car at the crossing, they all stop".

>2. Do not disrespect the Buddha statues or the temples by wearing indecent clothing such as shorts or revealing dresses.

You mean: bow down to the ultra conservatives that totally exaggerate? There is nothing wrong with shorts in a temple, it is absolutely no disrespect and many of the Thai people think likewise. Obviously you dont have to go in bathing suit, again, use common sense. It's hot, shorts and flip flops are just fine. In 20 years never got any complaints. Just because there is a vocal group of medieval religious extremists does not mean we have to comply.  If you look at the facts, ironically the dress code these ultra conservative zealots try to push on you, is very unbuddhistic. In the old days women didn't even wear tops. The whole cover-up dress code thing is nothing more than a Victorian import, pure farang influence. It was introduced by the British, exported globally in colonial times, and adopted by wanna-be-developped nations all over.

>3. Don't write graffiti on public property. It will land you in trouble with the police.

Great tip... you can add a few like "do not put public property on fire"... do not pillage ...  do not steal... do not kill...

>4. Thailand is not the land of 'smiles' as painted in western media. The immigration and government can be quite strict and rude. Don't raise your voice with them like you do in western countries.

Until now I am really surprised with every point. Here again ... you pretend its normal to raise your voice to immigration and government in people's home country?  Its something you should not do anywhere.

>5. Don't point your feet at someone or touch someone's head.

Who on earth points feet to show things? Who does that? Do you feel the urge to go around pointing at things with your feet? Not only is it weird, it is also very unpractical.

We can add countless similar scenario's "do not point with your elbow". Do not point with your head. Do not touch people's ears, mouth. etc...

Sorry I just had to react as I found it the worst and most paternalistic stereotypical "good advice" posted in recent times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, marc651 said:

>I thought it is better to warn all westerners who are newbies in Thailand. 

I thought it is better to warn you that you have a huge grammar mistake in your title.

Everybody makes spelling mistakes, but at least in the title you could do a little effort to get that right, especially if you are writing a post where you pretend to be "Mr I know everything better". Thai culture are?

>1. Do not cross Zebra crossing when there is a car coming, they won't stop for you. Wait for cars to pass first before crossing.

Also a bit BS, there are definitely cars that stop, the ones that will not stop you can detect in advance, use common sense. Similar to in Europe (although in different numbers), some cars do not stop, I would not advise Thai tourists visiting western countries to "jump in front of a car at the crossing, they all stop".

>2. Do not disrespect the Buddha statues or the temples by wearing indecent clothing such as shorts or revealing dresses.

You mean: bow down to the ultra conservatives that totally exaggerate? There is nothing wrong with shorts in a temple, it is absolutely no disrespect and many of the Thai people think likewise. Obviously you dont have to go in bathing suit, again, use common sense. It's hot, shorts and flip flops are just fine. In 20 years never got any complaints. Just because there is a vocal group of medieval religious extremists does not mean we have to comply.  If you look at the facts, ironically the dress code these ultra conservative zealots try to push on you, is very unbuddhistic. In the old days women didn't even wear tops. The whole cover-up dress code thing is nothing more than a Victorian import, pure farang influence. It was introduced by the British, exported globally in colonial times, and adopted by wanna-be-developped nations all over.

>3. Don't write graffiti on public property. It will land you in trouble with the police.

Great tip... you can add a few like "do not put public property on fire"... do not pillage ...  do not steal... do not kill...

>4. Thailand is not the land of 'smiles' as painted in western media. The immigration and government can be quite strict and rude. Don't raise your voice with them like you do in western countries.

Until now I am really surprised with every point. Here again ... you pretend its normal to raise your voice to immigration and government in people's home country?  Its something you should not do anywhere.

>5. Don't point your feet at someone or touch someone's head.

Who on earth points feet to show things? Who does that? Do you feel the urge to go around pointing at things with your feet? Not only is it weird, it is also very unpractical.

We can add countless similar scenario's "do not point with your elbow". Do not point with your head. Do not touch people's ears, mouth. etc...

Sorry I just had to react as I found it the worst and most paternalistic stereotypical "good advice" posted in recent times.

Good post marc.

You pricked an over-inflated balloon.

A couple more? Thai friends have drilled the following into me:

1. Don't speak negatively of the royal family.

2. Remove shoes when visiting prayer areas of temples, and never let your feet point at a Buddha. When sitting on the floor of a temple, be sure your feet face to the side or rear --- away from the Buddha.

3. Accept the over-generosity of Thai friends with grace and patience. Yes, they will insist on driving you through Bangkok in bumper to bumper traffic at rush hour even though taking the skytrain or subway would be much faster. Grin and bear it, and realize this is their way of taking care of you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, marc651 said:

Don't believe I've ever spoken to immigration in my home country.

No, I did once many years back, came back from holiday with a pal (who happened to be coloured), they let us both through as normal, then one of them followed us and tried to take my pal aside for a conversation, I shouted at the racist SOAB and told him to $#@k off ..... which he promptly did (I was a bit more 'shouty' in those days).

Edited by BritManToo