Pompeo defends U.S. killing of Iranian as Democrats ask 'Why now?'

webfact

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

By also killing an Iraqi, who was a former candidate for PM, they have committed a huge blunder. The US will likely be forced out of Iraq. The US agreed to give the bases to Iraq if and when they left so Trump's whining about the cost means nothing. And imposing sanctions on an nation you have been fighting for, for the past 17 years is beyond inane. It is churlish and juvenile. Develop some foreign policy please and stop the floundering. Grow thicker skin. Your paper thin skin is so unmanly. 

He is incapable of both I’m afaraid 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, gargamon said:

Trump needs a war to ensure his reelection. Its as simple as that.

Good lord, you see the democrat line up and you think he is worried about re-election?  He’s beating everyone in the polls with a large lead before this lastest Iranian thing.  He actually would do even better without a little war to call his own. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Guitarzan said:

Good lord, you see the democrat line up and you think he is worried about re-election?  He’s beating everyone in the polls with a large lead before this lastest Iranian thing.  He actually would do even better without a little war to call his own. 

Wow, you've obviously been following the Fox News/Brietbart propaganda for much too long. As I have always said, you watch that nonsense for too long and you will begin to believe it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

By also killing an Iraqi, who was a former candidate for PM, they have committed a huge blunder. The US will likely be forced out of Iraq. The US agreed to give the bases to Iraq if and when they left so Trump's whining about the cost means nothing. And imposing sanctions on an nation you have been fighting for, for the past 17 years is beyond inane. It is churlish and juvenile. Develop some foreign policy please and stop the floundering. Grow thicker skin. Your paper thin skin is so unmanly. 

"on a nation you have been fighting for, for the past 17 years"..... think about those words and get back to me with any questions. They blew it and can now fight their own wars as they should have all along. I forecast a LOT of suffering in that country and the entire Middle East now. Good job!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

"on a nation you have been fighting for, for the past 17 years"..... think about those words and get back to me with any questions. They blew it and can now fight their own wars as they should have all along. I forecast a LOT of suffering in that country and the entire Middle East now. Good job!! 

You do realise that since the west started to interfere directly in Iraq, it has slowly slowly been taken over by Iran? You know, that big friend of the US?

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

Wow, you've obviously been following the Fox News/Brietbart propaganda for much too long. As I have always said, you watch that nonsense for too long and you will begin to believe it.

Which part, not starting a war?  

I watched the greatest hits of the democrat debates, don’t need the news. That said, I’ll take Fox News over The democrat ministry of propaganda CNN etc any day !

• Confused 1

Does anyone actually believe that Trump is not seeking a regime change in Iran ?! This assassination came quite a short time after many anti-regime demonstrators were killed in Iran. I think that Trump (wrongly, it seems for now) guessed that, by this killing, even more Iranians would rise up against the regime and that in the end, millions in the streets in Iran would overthrow the molla regime.

Well, the assassination seems to have had the opposite effect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gargamon said:
5 hours ago, Guitarzan said:

based on your objectivity whis is the best propaganda news media to watch? fox(no) cnn?, nbc? cbs?

25 minutes ago, JemJem said:

Does anyone actually believe that Trump is not seeking a regime change in Iran ?! This assassination came quite a short time after many anti-regime demonstrators were killed in Iran. I think that Trump (wrongly, it seems for now) guessed that, by this killing, even more Iranians would rise up against the regime and that in the end, millions in the streets in Iran would overthrow the molla regime.

So you are living inside Trumps head, you throw out a straw man argument and then prove yourself right. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JemJem said:

Regime change. Two of the silliest words ever uttered by an American leader. Inane. As if they want our brand of democracy. How well did this interference work out in Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Afghanistan, Vietnam or Iraq?

• Thanks 2

On 1/6/2020 at 5:30 AM, gargamon said:

Trump needs a war to ensure his reelection. Its as simple as that.

Trump could lie on a couch in Times Square in a dressing gown and he'd still get elected, simply because the Dems know they can't beat him at the polls.

8 hours ago, atyclb said:

based on your objectivity whis is the best propaganda news media to watch? fox(no) cnn?, nbc? cbs?

I watch them all. The strange thing is that you hear so much conflicting information. Fox spins everything so Trump looks good and most of the rest(the other 90% of broadcasters) are much more critical. So if you are an always Trumper then the 90% criticizing Trump are fake news. if you're objective about it as I  am, you go with the numbers and see the critical news sources as likely much closer to reality.

• Like 2

My theory is that Soleimani sacrificed himself. He knew the US would know his whereabouts. 

Think of what it has accomplished already. US is out of Iraq. US could be held liable for an illegal assassination if it was an official diplomatic mission. Iranian people are now coming together to fight one common enemy. 

It is the perfect tactical move if you are an Iranian. That is how stupid it was. 

Whatever happened, this could be a turning point for downplaying the US involvement on the world stage. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 11:30 PM, Jingthing said:

Funny.

I thought his platform was to retreat from the endless Middle east conflicts.

It was, until they made the mistake of firing a few missiles and killing an American. He'll get us out of the ME in time but in the meantime he won't tolerate the killing of any American. He's unlike any previous Administration and won't just do the "politically correct thing" to keep everyone happy.

Let me ask you, had it been your father or brother that was killed like the innocent contractor who was to be home in a couple of weeks would you take issue with Trump taking out one of the nastiest brutal killers in the ME? I don't think so. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

If Iran attacks any US interest or person they will be hit with so much military might it'll take them decades to recover and those sights where they are suspected of working on nukes..... gone. I'll have Fox News on all day.

Well, now that Iran has attacked that US base in western Iraq, we'll see how your prediction plays out. Or should it be called "wishful thinking."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Well, now that Iran has attacked that US base in western Iraq, we'll see how your prediction plays out. Or should it be called "wishful thinking."

No, no one is "wishing" for an escalation but when a third world country challenges the supreme superpower there is a gauntlet that can be laid down or else let other countries know they can do the same. Trump already said there would be a price to pay for what they did tonight. It won't be pretty for Iran.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

No, no one is "wishing" for an escalation but when a third world country challenges the supreme superpower there is a gauntlet that can be laid down or else let other countries know they can do the same. Trump already said there would be a price to pay for what they did tonight. It won't be pretty for Iran.  

Trump already had escalated the conflict. Just the kind of thing he claimed to be opposed to when he was campaigning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

It was, until they made the mistake of firing a few missiles and killing an American. He'll get us out of the ME in time but in the meantime he won't tolerate the killing of any American. He's unlike any previous Administration and won't just do the "politically correct thing" to keep everyone happy.

Let me ask you, had it been your father or brother that was killed like the innocent contractor who was to be home in a couple of weeks would you take issue with Trump taking out one of the nastiest brutal killers in the ME? I don't think so. 

7 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

"It was, until they made the mistake of firing a few missiles and killing an American. He'll get us out of the ME in time but in the meantime he won't tolerate the killing of any American. He's unlike any previous Administration and won't just do the "politically correct thing" to keep everyone happy."

If everyone is happy then it's clearly the correct thing to do.

"Let me ask you, had it been your father or brother that was killed like the innocent contractor who was to be home in a couple of weeks would you take issue with Trump taking out one of the nastiest brutal killers in the ME? I don't think so."

If that attack could lead to a war that potentially would lead to the deaths of thousands of Americans. Indeed I think so.

Just a little correction for those protesting that Trump tore up Obama's 

peace deal with Iran: read this and weep you sticklers.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/trump-administration-reaps-what-obama-administration-sowed-iran-deal

"The particular manner in which President Obama crafted the Iran deal paved the way for President Trump to withdraw from it.  Obama made the deal on his own presidential authority, in the face of significant domestic opposition, without seeking or receiving approval from the Senate or the Congress.  He was able to do this, and to skirt constitutional requirements for senatorial or congressional consent, because he made the deal as a political commitment rather than a binding legal obligation."

Also:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/05/09/if-the-iran-deal-had-been-a-senate-confirmed-treaty-would-trump-have-been-forced-to-stay-in-nope/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obama-took-lying-to-new-heights-with-the-iran-deal/2018/06/07/b75f72d2-6a7c-11e8-9e38-24e693b38637_story.html

On 1/6/2020 at 8:32 PM, Guitarzan said:

You would prefer Islam save the world, or China?

Nobody needs to "save" the world.  If the world needs to be "saved" it is from the ruthless, exploitative country known as the USA.  Read your history.  Compare the number of wars started by Islam and China, even combined, to that of the USA and it amounts to only a mere fraction.  Trump has finally let it out that the war in Iraq was one of exploitation not democracy or anything else.  You are a fine example of the brainwashed I mentioned in my initial post.  Wake up!

• Like 2