Retirement visa renewal at Jomtien

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The point is why would showing bankbook be required at Jomtien 3 month post granting of extension and at MOST other imm office it is not required. 

Or why are all these other immigration offices not checking the required post extension regulations. Probably because they haven't been told to! Suggests Jomtien went out on a limb here. 

Since I am obliged to keep the 800k untouched for 3 months, having that checked doesn't surprise me, doing it a year later actually would!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Sketch maps are nothing new, I was asked to do one at CW three or four years ago.  I think that if a foreigner is murdered or disappears, Immigration are not embarrassed when asked what they know of the foreigner. I think that the 90 day report is for the same reason, it is the max length of stay for a visitor to be left unmonitored.  If this is the case then every visit to Immigration should be entered on one’s file as a report thus saving a lot of work for Immigration and creating a relaxed office environment which civil servants everywhere enjoy.   CW do not go home until the queue is cleared, bad for them and bad for us when we find that there is no transport to the main road! 

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or why are all these other immigration offices not checking the required post extension regulations. Probably because they haven't been told to! Suggests Jomtien went out on a limb here. 

Since I am obliged to keep the 800k untouched for 3 months, having that checked doesn't surprise me, doing it a year later actually would!

Using that logic you should be going back at later stages (6 month?) to check that the 400k has been maintained.

Also Jomtien has been "told to" (check) and the other offices have not! 

Surely that is meant as a joke.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Using that logic you should be going back at later stages (6 month?) to check that the 400k has been maintained.

Also Jomtien has been "told to" (check) and the other offices have not! 

Surely that is meant as a joke.

Yes, possibly. 

I never said Jomtiem had been told to, nobody has by a Police Order that I am aware of. I simply stated Jomtien took it upon themselves to do so. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, possibly. 

I never said Jomtiem had been told to, nobody has by a Police Order that I am aware of. I simply stated Jomtien took it upon themselves to do so. 

Yes, I read your post too quickly. You did not say Jomtien had been told to....

The fact they have come up with this requirement means they truly live up to being described as a Rogue imm office.

• Like 2

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Yes, I read your post too quickly. You did not say Jomtien had been told to....

The fact they have come up with this requirement means they truly live up to being described as a Rogue imm office.

I am inclined to say many of them are.

Chiangmai used to make a living making people wait from sunrise! Some IOs are requiring hand drawn maps from those applying for retirement extensions. Some insist on TM30, some do not. Some process on-line 90 day reports, some do not. Rather than say a particular IO is a 'rogue Immigration Office,' I say they are offices filled with rogues! 

On 1/7/2020 at 6:46 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, they have never asked for maps other than your report of a new requirement,  How can they no longer accept google maps when they never asked for maps prior. Are you saying in previous years you (only you) have been asked for google maps to your condo ?

I have never been asked for "any kind" of map to my condo in Jomtien. 

On 1/7/2020 at 8:22 AM, jacko45k said:

I also just heard of Jomtien asking for TM30 compliance during a 90 day report for someone on a long stay Permit. They had previously been loose on this....  strangely they never spoke of any fine for not submitting. It is as if they have been told to 'tighten up'. I wonder if the piggy tailed thief or some other miscreant is behind this.  

The 90 days report is a verification of you staying at the last reported address. That's what the 90 days report is about. There are no changes regarding that at Jomtien Immigration. If you don't have a last reported permanent address and have the receipt in your passport, then you'll have do the TM30 report again. It doesn't matter if you're travelling in Thailand and coming back as long as it is your last reported address. 

On 1/7/2020 at 8:49 AM, Martyp said:

I don’t understand why drawing a map is such an inconvenience. Insurance requirements? Yes. Financial requirements? Yes. But drawing a map and a couple of selfies? 

Maybe because the map and the photos isn't an official requirement according to the list of requirements you get from Jomtien Immigration? You go there for your annual extension based on retirement with the same documents you had last time, and they suddenly ask for photos?? One photo with the condo buildings house number? I know loads of condos without house number on the front wall incl mine. 

On 1/7/2020 at 9:05 AM, tgeezer said:

I can not understand why Immigration needs proof of residence. Can anybody see any advantage in making a false report of residence? 

The proof of residence is your rental contract or copy of a blue house book incl copy of a thai ID-card etc etc. You don't think you need an official address in western countries reported to the authorities as an immigrant or long stayer? 

There are most likely people here that doesn't stay in the reported address for several reasons. I'm thinking (this is just a guess), if they ask for a map/photos at Jomtien Immigration when applying for an extension based on retirement, then the officer isn't satisfied with the documents he/she was given. Or, they have been ordered to check out applicants just by random. 

On 1/7/2020 at 9:36 AM, Martyp said:

The OP was applying for a 1 year extension. If you are going to update your address then a once a year application for an extension is a reasonable time to do it. People move around, in Thailand and everywhere else. It sucks that it is difficult to impossible to get permanent residence. However, if you are here year by year then updating your residence is hardly unreasonable. Not to mention how easy it is.

Being asked for a handdrawn map and photos when applying for an extension based on retirement at an immigration office where they normally never requires that, has nothing to do with moving or updating an address. 

21 hours ago, twix38 said:

Imv being asked to return and show bank book after 3 months from annual retirement extension is unnecessary.

The only action if all financial rules not followed would not occur until next annual extension when they check bank book transaction page. Then if 800/400k rules not observed they don't renew or whatever. The annual extension is valid for a year until renewal - unless at this 3 month interval they would cancel the remaining 9 months? So unless the rules result in early cancellation for breach being checked 3 months after, then the 3 month bank book check is simply another hurdle without a logical requirement or need and in any event it could simply be checked annually via updated transaction page.

The annual extension is valid as long  as you still have the 800k in the bank 90 days after the application and stay above 400k until 2 months before next extension. If you go below 800k in the first 90 days,your extension is cancelled. And, you never know if they for some reason wants to see your bank book or copies from it before next annual extension to be sure you still have the 400k. They  probably want to see a 1 year bank statement or copies from the bank book when applying for next annual extension. What do you think will happen if they see that you've been below 400k during the 7 months before you topped it up to 800k again? 

20 hours ago, Emdog said:

I did my 90 day report last Thursday at Jomtien. Put 100 baht in bank to get book updated that same day. Had to wait 10 min or so, then to desk. Had bank book out, didn't need it or ask for it. Wham bam and out of there.

Friend went this morning, no wait, no bank book check for same 90 day report.

Maybe those with problems need to dress a little neater? Long pants?

The 90 days report has nothing to do with your money in the bank. The 90 days money check happens just once = 90 days after your extension. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, twix38 said:

There is just no need to ask for financial verification 90 days after renewing an extension.

At next annual extension simply look at bank book transaction page to verify everything and stop with all the hassles

You assume there could be no immediate consequences for failing to keep all the money in the bank for three months.

i agree Immigrations officers appear to be uninterested in this particular rule and it's unlikely anyone who withdrew money early would rush to immigrations to show them that he had failed to comply, but it's certainly possible that you could have your extension cancelled. Extensions are cancelled regularly if the reason for them ends ... e.g. The end of a marriage or the end of employment. It's quite possible,  if you're found to have failed to keep all the money in the bank for three months at any point, that they would be justified in cancelling your extension on the spot and giving you the boot.

just because you were given an extension for one year it doesn't mean there's nothing they can do until the full year is over. 

Edited by Suradit69

18 hours ago, HHTel said:

Out of around 45 immigration offices, I think Jomtien is one of the very few, if not the only one, to ask for financial verification 90 days after renewing an extension.  Under normal circumstances it is a requirement for your next extension, when, if you've not abided by the rules, your extension will be refused.

I'm curious as to which offices are asking ongoing proof through the year!

The requirement for 800k in the bank 90 days after the extension came with the official police order. If going below 800k, your extension will be void. And it's only ONE 90 days check. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The requirement for 800k in the bank 90 days after the extension came with the official police order. If going below 800k, your extension will be void. And it's only ONE 90 days check. 

I don’t remember reading that in the Police Order. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Martyp said:

I Googled this and western expats are on the order of .25% of the population. Disproportionally wealthy but I'm sure it doesn't amount to much. About 180,000 western expats. You could compare that to the 35,000,000 visitors per year of all nationalities whose money would dwarf the expat contribution to the economy.

An average tourist stays in Thailand ~14 days. If you think that every single tourist spends a lot of money,then you don't know what you're talking about. Some do of course. Normally, expats have a budget from 40-45k/month and up (some way up) depending on lifestyle. A year has 12 months. Do the math, please. Every expat spends way more than every tourist. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:08 PM, Emdog said:

I did my 90 day report last Thursday at Jomtien. Put 100 baht in bank to get book updated that same day. Had to wait 10 min or so, then to desk. Had bank book out, didn't need it or ask for it. Wham bam and out of there.

Friend went this morning, no wait, no bank book check for same 90 day report.

Maybe those with problems need to dress a little neater? Long pants?

The bank book update is done at the same desk as you got your extension not the 90 day desk, when you got your extension you will have also been given a sheet of paper with instructions and a date on it of when to return with bank book

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

An average tourist stays in Thailand ~14 days. If you think that every single tourist spends a lot of money,then you don't know what you're talking about. Some do of course. Normally, expats have a budget from 40-45k/month and up (some way up) depending on lifestyle. A year has 12 months. Do the math, please. Every expat spends way more than every tourist. 

Yep done the maths.  According to Thai figures, tourism reached $58 billion dollars in 2018.

For the income of expats to equal that, they would have to spend more than 800,000 baht per person per month.

Over to you!

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Having checked my thoughts with my neighbour (immigration officer) the financial requirement of 800K/400K/800K over the previous year is the qualification needed to extend your stay for the next 12 months.

That qualification will be checked again when applying for your next extension and if it doesn't pass the criteria then your extension is refused.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Having checked my thoughts with my neighbour (immigration officer) the financial requirement of 800K/400K/800K over the previous year is the qualification needed to extend your stay for the next 12 months.

That qualification will be checked again when applying for your next extension and if it doesn't pass the criteria then your extension is refused.

Which makes it consistent with the income method and past procedure, the next year’s extension is given on the previous year’s performance. 

When I did my extension of stay (retirement, 800k) in march 2019, they gave me this paper to come back and have my bankbook checked after three months.

I left Thailand before that date and did not show up but the bankbook was updatet permanently by my GF.

So let's see what will happen when I do my next extension in a couple of weeks. I'll report, if none of you had the same situation yet.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Jingthing said:

Wow. 

I've never needed to give them any kind of map. 

Do you own or rent? 

I owned

On 1/6/2020 at 6:14 PM, Jingthing said:

Wow. 

I've never needed to give them any kind of map. 

Do you own or rent? 

On 1/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, WorriedNoodle said:

What about a Google Map with hand drawn annotations on it? Works for me.

Only asked for a very simple sketch map. The officer lady was so nice to teach me how to draw.

9 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Maybe the Thai officials are more concerned with how and where the monies are spent.  Spending on a long term discount rental, or school fees, or bulk grocery shopping as a frugal expat may spend, is not quite the same as how a tourist may spend his money on touristy things, propped up drink prices, more expensive eating establishments, entertainment venues (discos, gogos, shows, etc).  Different Thai factions care about different things

Edited by gk10002000

47 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Maybe the Thai officials are more concerned with how and where the monies are spent.  Spending on a long term discount rental, or school fees, or bulk grocery shopping as a frugal expat may spend, is not quite the same as how a tourist may spend his money on touristy things, propped up drink prices, more expensive eating establishments, entertainment venues (discos, gogos, shows, etc).  Different Thai factions care about different things

Yes. Even if a tourist is only here 2 weeks there are still 10 tourists per expat on any given day undoubtedly spending more per day than an expat.

30 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Yes. Even if a tourist is only here 2 weeks there are still 10 tourists per expat on any given day undoubtedly spending more per day than an expat.

Many expats imho overestimate their impact to the thai economy but this is a naive fallacy aswell.

How many of these 35 mio are chinese one-dollar-tourists and indians, sharing a bottle of chang by five of them? How much do all these tour bus hordes spend daily to the local business?

A russian or western tourist may spend a lot more than the average expat, the majority of chinese and indians don't.

One day, even the Thais will understand, that quantity never beats quality. Ok, maybe they will ????

• Like 1

Why with thaivisa do members need scroll to top of posts to make sure they are remotely reading and trying to reply to OP.

The above rubbish good example.

The thread is about retirement extension Jomtien. 

Which is sort of funny as could have another title. ." Which is most crazy imm office in Thailand" 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why with thaivisa do members need scroll to top of posts to make sure they are remotely reading and trying to reply to OP.

It's just been made a whole lot easier. A scroll up arrow has just appeared at the bottom right corner of the screen.