Road rage attempt by Somthai

RasiMike

18 hours ago, RasiMike said:

This particular guy was trying to be a bully...if he was intent on causing harm it would've escalated and I would responded as appropriate.

How exactly was he "trying to be a bully" to you?  How does his driving when he is behind you affect you? 

It didn't escalate until you started driving dangerously slowly and you were the one that escalated it, unless you've missed out something.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Luck for RasiMike that the guy didn´t find someone so quick.

Lucky for RasiMike that he didn't cause the following car (that was having no detrimental effect on him) to crash into the back of him and his family as a result of the OP's deliberate hard braking and driving at a crawl.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chivas said:

........and people actually want to live in this country

Why shouldn't they?  How does the OP's dreadful driving and response to another road user affect anyone wanting to live here unless they're unfortunate enough to drive behind him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RasiMike said:

Wasn't an option, roadworks caused a bottle neck and I found myself stuck with an a_sehole who was unhappy to be driving behind me for a while.

But didn't you slam on your brakes and drive at a crawl to antagonise him and disrupt the travel of everyone else who was behind you also just for the hell of it? 

His driving, no matter your opinion of it, wasn't causing you to slow down unnecessarily, neither did it create the risk of his car hitting the back of yours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RasiMike said:

I'm not sure if you have a family but I hope if you do, you'd be willing to defend them should you find yourself in that position.

It seems as though he was the one in the position to need to defend his family when you slammed on the anchors right in front of him.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

How exactly was he "trying to be a bully" to you?  How does his driving when he is behind you affect you? 

It didn't escalate until you started driving dangerously slowly and you were the one that escalated it, unless you've missed out something.

When you are in queuing but flowing traffic the driver of the car behind sometimes drives in a manner which is tantamount to ‘bullying’ (no need to get into the semantics of the word bullying)... but these drivers tailgate, sometimes flash their flights and drive in an aggressive manner as if they are trying to get you to move out of their way... 

It affects you because it draws your attention to what’s going on behind you... its a concern because if the car in front as to suddenly brake there is a risk the idiot behind will rear-end you. 

Of course, there is no need to escalate this situation, but its an uncomfortable situation to be in. 

Quite commonly I find myself in the uncomfortable situation of having the car behind too close to me, either because the drive behind is aggressive, or just ignorant to the dangers. 

I usually ’touch’ my brakes, not to slow down but to illuminate the brake lights and hope that the driver behind backs off a little. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For ‘who's’ ego’s sake ????

This is where you went wrong - Your ego took control over your intelligence and you responded, in doing so unnecessarily placing yourself and your family in danger.

Its easier just not to get involved. 

He was already involved by the dangerous driving of that guy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Why Me said:

Wow, the OP's not only incredibly stupid, endangering wife and kids, but then, having luckily got away with it, comes on TV to brag about how he got one over Somchai.

Jeez, sometimes you just gotta shake your head and wonder.

There are some people who don't run away <deleted>scared all their lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Personally I think what you did put your family in more danger.

Why not simply pull over and let the idiot go, end of story.

What you did, in my opinion was dangerous and foolhardy. It could have ended very badly for all of you.

But hey, I wasnt there, and each to his own, but what you did is not something I would to do or recommend to others.

In those situations , I apply just enough pressure to my brake pedal to bring on my brake lights but not slow the car. 90% of the time that's sufficient for the tailgater to back off. If that doesn't work, i wait for a point in the road where it's impossible to overtake and slow down to a crawl. It's far safer to be rear ended by a guy doing 20kph than 80kph.

The OPs experience is also concurrent with mine in that once they know that it's a ferang, they back off.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tifino said:

brake lights - doing brake checks - is itself road rage 

No its not... its just ‘touching the brakes’ no rage involved !!! 

When a car is too close behind me, I sometimes wash my windscreen.... the spray passes over to their car.

Its their fault they are too close, hopefully they get the message which is ‘Please don’t tailgate’ 

It's not road rage, it's part of driving defensively. 

It could be argued that we can pull over and let the car pass, but in some cases such as when there is a queue of HGV’s rolling along on the left lane leaving little space between them it may not be safe to pull in. Thus, slightly touching the brake pedal, not to slow the car, but to illuminate the brake lights and ‘encourage’ the car behind to leave a little more space is not an aggressive manoeuvre its simply trying to get a message across. 

• Like 1

The only  aspect of the OP's post is in the observation that I  can agree with is drivers in Isaan are definitely more erratic and  worse than say west or north Thailand.

But nowhere and at  no time do I ever attempt  to antagonize or retaliate to the often blatant behaviours because I am aware that it is always possible if not probable they are yabba victims and as such are  capable  of  nothing  much that is  reasonable or  rational. I drive to  survive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No its not... its just ‘touching the brakes’ no rage involved !!! 

When a car is too close behind me, I sometimes wash my windscreen.... the spray passes over to their car.

Its their fault they are too close, hopefully they get the message which is ‘Please don’t tailgate’ 

It's not road rage, it's part of driving defensively. 

It could be argued that we can pull over and let the car pass, but in some cases such as when there is a queue of HGV’s rolling along on the left lane leaving little space between them it may not be safe to pull in. Thus, slightly touching the brake pedal, not to slow the car, but to illuminate the brake lights and ‘encourage’ the car behind to leave a little more space is not an aggressive manoeuvre its simply trying to get a message across. 

Love the water spray method! But in OP's case, deliberately brake when there's no need to - and he's angry(a sane person should not get emotional over driving a car - except those pseudo alpha male with huge ego themselves) - definitely a brake check and grave offense. 

The brake check means no traffic to avoid yet intentionally brake, whether stomp or touch. In case there're heavy trucks to avoid should be prepared to brake anyway, but otherwise I think call it "defensively" is just an excuse. 

Personally if there's a red plate tailgating me I would just accelarate and left him to dust. Not to mention if there's ever an accident rear car always take more responsibility and damage. 

On 1/6/2020 at 10:33 PM, RasiMike said:

so, (despite Mrs Rasi squealing re- guns and Thainess), called his bluff by braking hard and slowing to a crawl to engage him.

Very stupid aggressive male behavior......on your part also. You put your own family at risk .....stupid stupid stupid

• Like 1

The level of driving aptitude in Thailand is very low. Trying to teach anybody a lesson by retaliating for their poor road etiquette or driving skill is downright foolish and dangerous. The best way to teach better driving skills and manners to others on the road is by setting a good example. BTW, the OP said that his wife was terrorized in the process of his giving an impromptu driving lesson to the other driver. Shouldn't the safety and comfort of one's passengers be priority number one for all drivers?

Edit: I'll admit I've done the same thing as the OP in the past. Tapping the brakes to send a signal to a tailgater might be a common tactic elsewhere, but in Thailand people aren't expecting you to do that so there's an increased risk of a serious accident here.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:50 PM, RasiMike said:

I know what you are saying, I would have preferred to just do the usual avoidance driving technique usually employed but this person seriously endangered my family and wanted to use his car as a weapon. I avoid starting fights but this particular case had me thinking I was going to need to take the lead. For most of my experience on Thailand it has been obvious that many people here think they're bullies if given the opportunity. Most of the time I couldn't give a <removed>.  Comprising my family's safety is a very different situation.

So how exactly does brake testing another driver become a saftey maneuver?

To borrow an acronym from reddit, YTA.