Changing Non-Imm Type O-A to 90-day Type O ??

5 hours ago, sraisin said:

Hi Peter, I am in a similar situation, would you mind sending me your roadmap, I could use the guidance and would like to check my approach before submitting my documents. I would really appreciate your assistance, thanks in advance.

Hi Peter....doing similar in a few months...think I understand process for a Thai child dependent "O" but would appreciate your road map to confirm...thanks in advance. 

Maybe a dumb question, but how does one determine whether one is on an "AO" or "O" visa?

I've been here for 16 years, have left Thailand for short breaks several times, had "re-entry visas", never a problem.  

Could I please get a copy of that roadmap also.  I am an American on OA extension (for 15 years) with plans to go to Savannakhet with no re-entry permit thereby cancelling my extension which expires in June.  I don't understand requirement for "Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate of applicant's nationality" on their list of required documents.

8 hours ago, martyinsiam said:

I don't understand requirement for "Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate of applicant's nationality" on their list of required documents.

It should be written as proof of retirement. They left that out when they posted the translation.

Google translate of the list in Thai. "5. Certificate of retirement from the embassy of that person with that nationality

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CM4Me said:

Maybe a dumb question, but how does one determine whether one is on an "AO" or "O" visa?

I've been here for 16 years, have left Thailand for short breaks several times, had "re-entry visas", never a problem.  

There should be a transfer stamp in your passport, likely on the first or second visa page. This refers back to your original Visa and will state the type. You presumably have stayed here on the same Permission which you extend each year. 

If you have your old passport, you may even be able to see the original visa. 

Edited by jacko45k

8 hours ago, martyinsiam said:

Could I please get a copy of that roadmap also.  I am an American on OA extension (for 15 years) with plans to go to Savannakhet with no re-entry permit thereby cancelling my extension which expires in June.  I don't understand requirement for "Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate of applicant's nationality" on their list of required documents.

Hi @martyinsiam & @gavlar & @Timofe

I made a note to send you the Roadmap to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, later today.

Wanted to send it now, but not allowed according to a pop-up stating 'You are only allowed to send 10 messages per day. Please try again later.', and have been getting many requests for it yesterday.

When you PM me, I would most probably be able to send it to you immediately by responding to your message.

Note: To send a PM just click the letter icon next to your profile when logged in on the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis

8 hours ago, CM4Me said:

See Jacko45K response in post #35.

In case of doubt > You can ONLY apply for a Non Imm OA (long-stay) Visa at a thai embassy/consulate in your home-country.

If you did not do that but entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa and then applied for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, you would be on an O Visa.

Thanks Jacko & Peter for your advice,

Fortunately, as Jacko suggested, I was able to find my original visa in my old passport, which states clearly

Type of Visa: Non-Immigrant         Category "O" . 

I think I shall copy that and have it on hand when I next apply for an extension to avoid any misunderstanding. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 10:44 AM, DrJack54 said:

Yes. 

Keep in mind, if short holiday is possible, you could consider obtaining the non o outside of Thailand. Skips obtaining your extension to VE and conversion from VE to non O at imm. Check if Saigon does non o retirement. Ripper place.

I have obtain a Non Immi O visa (to be used for retirement visa) at the Thai Embassy in Yangon, they are very efficient and its usually a short/inexpensive flight. If you lodge your application before 12 noon you can collect your visa the next day after 1pm. Queues are usually short in my experience and the staff check your application before accepting it so any issues can be sorted before processing your application. Great service!

I too intend to use Peter Dennis's method (thanks Peter for your comprehensive Road Map) 

My O-A visa (retirement) issued by Canberra Embassy in Oct 2018, and with current permission to stay till 13 July 2020. So will exit just before (without Re-entry Permit) and re-enter VE. 

My question is should I use my Australian Passport that expires July 2023, that I  am currently using, for the VE to O visa, or could I use my UK passport that expires July 2027? (note my biometrics have been collected using my Aussie passport) 

On 1/8/2020 at 7:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

It should be written as proof of retirement. They left that out when they posted the translation.

Google translate of the list in Thai. "5. Certificate of retirement from the embassy of that person with that nationality

I am intrigued and bewildered  by this . I voluntarily stopped  "employment" before any official qualifying age making myself eligible for a pension or any other form of  Govt. support and even after attaining such an age have never claimed any such. Nor have I ever been asked  to "prove"   any status of "retirement".

It is only by browsing this topic I have ever seen mention of it. Under what circumstances is it that a person has to "prove" they are retired?

On 1/7/2020 at 5:59 PM, martyinsiam said:

I just PM-ed you the Roadmap I compiled to convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa (and subsequent extension of that Visa).

You can apply for the first step (the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa) either in your home-country (when they issue such Visas), a thai embassy/consulate in a neighboring country (e.g. Savannakhet, Laos), or at the local IO of the place where you want to stay in Thailand (after having exited and re-entered Thailand).

The requirements for each of these application-places differ, so when you are not able to meet a particular requirement for one of them (e.g. proving that your are retired) you can apply at one of the other application-places.

>> To access your PM-messages click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

15 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It is only by browsing this topic I have ever seen mention of it. Under what circumstances is it that a person has to "prove" they are retired?

> See my response in post #31, highlighting the different options (places) where you can apply for a Non Imm O Visa.  So you are not stuck as there are other options to apply for the Visa, when not being able to meet the requirement to prove your official retirement.