Changing Non-Imm Type O-A to 90-day Type O ??

Confusing information on Thai Immigration website (surprise). I'd like to change my Type O-A retirement visa to a 90-day Type O. I need more time to get health insurance so I figured this would buy me some time. From the information I've found, I would need to submit forms TM86 (Request to change visa) and form TM87 (Application for visa). I have several questions:

Are the income requirements the same as for the Type O-A?
On both forms, can I put "Retirement" as the reason for applying for the visa?
Do I have to leave the country on my O-A visa and re-renter before I submit the application?

Should I just go to immigration with the information I think I need and let them tell me what I'm missing, if anything?

Thanks to all.

You cannot change your you OA visa to non-o visa unless you leave and re-enter the country on a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you are on a tourist visa entry you complete a TM86 change of visa status form. If on a visa exempt entry you do a TM87 non immigrant visa application form.

The financial requirements are the same as needed for a extension of stay application but the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply. Note that is says you need proof the money came from abroad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change your you OA visa to non-o visa unless you leave and re-enter the country on tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you are on a tourist visa entry you complete a TM86 change of visa status form. If on a visa exempt entry you do a TM87 non immigrant visa application form.

The financial requirements are the same as needed for a extension of stay application but the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day you apply. Note that is says you need proof the money came from abroad.

Ubonjoe - if you have been in the country several years on an O-A and have maintained the 800k in a Thai bank for several years do you still have to demonstrate that the money came from abroad? Does that depend on the Immigration office?

2 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Ubonjoe - if you have been in the country several years on an O-A and have maintained the 800k in a Thai bank for several years do you still have to demonstrate that the money came from abroad? Does that depend on the Immigration office?

If you have had the 800k baht in the bank for a long time they may accept it without proof it came from abroad. You would have to ask you local immigration office about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

Can I exit/re-enter the country and get a tourist visa even though I already have a valid O-A visa? Can I apply for a tourist visa in advance rather than get one at the airport (or wherever I enter)? 

If had a valid OA visa issued by a embassy or consulate you would get stamped in for another year.

I assume you mean a valid extension of stay based upon retirement. Your extension will end on the day your leave the country and if you do not have a valid re-entry permit you would be only get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You could also go to a nearby embassy or consulate to apply for a single entry tourist visa and get a 60 day entry from it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

In my experience (Bangkok Chang Wattana office) it can sometimes depend on the immigration officer. Last time (Feb 2019) the officer sent me back to the bank twice to get more detailed records. Very strict.

What method for funds are you using. Money in the bank or income method

I just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to switch from (an extension of) a Non Imm OA - retirement Visa to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Of course all info already provided by UbonJoe in posts above are fully correct (as always).

Note: To access your PM-messages click the letter icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum

ADD-ON > Wanted to PM you, but strangely your profile does not have a Message option.

Can also e-mail it to you when you provide me your e-mail address.

Edited by Peter Denis

OP to answer your question we need to know exactly your visa status:

Valid OA visa

2nd year  permission of stay

extension of stay from an OA based on retirement 

Do you have a re entry permit 

EDIT: i see Peter has sent you his roadmap, from this you should be able to determine what steps are needed, a very comprehensive document.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I just PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to switch from (an extension of) a Non Imm OA - retirement Visa to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Of course all info already provided by UbonJoe in posts above are fully correct (as always).

Note: To access your PM-messages click the letter icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum

Hmmm. I must be and idiot but all I see is that you contacted me and no information.

1 minute ago, Hurricane51 said:

Hmmm. I must be and idiot but all I see is that you contacted me and no information.

There is no MESSAGE option on your TVF profile.

I can also send it by e-mail when you provide me your e-mail address.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

OP to answer your question we need to know exactly your visa status:

Valid OA visa

2nd permission of stay

extension of stay from an OA based on retirement 

Do you have a re entry permit 

Valid O-A based on retirement extended contiguously for 13 years. At this point I don't have a re-entry permit, but last time I re-entered the country on my O-A visa it wasn't a big deal. My O-A visa expires the first of Feb and I still don't have health insurance so this seems to be the only option.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

Valid O-A based on retirement extended contiguously for 13 years. At this point I don't have a re-entry permit, but last time I re-entered the country on my O-A visa it wasn't a big deal. My O-A visa expires the first of Feb and I still don't have health insurance so this seems to be the only option.

I have removed your post with your email address in it. Email addresses are not allowed on the forum.

You have a extension of stay based upon retirement not a visa. Leaving the country makes it invalid.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

Okay, does that mean you return to your home country every year for a new OA visa or you visit immigration every year and they give you an extension of stay .

Returning to thailand without a reentry permit points to you getting a new OA every year .

The OA cannot be extended and only your permission to stay from it which needs a reentry permit to keep it valid or you go back to square one.

Sorry to be pedantic but it is important.

38 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

as Ubon Joe already wrote,  firstly your existing "extension of stay (EOS) based on retirement" from your old O/A visa,  must have become invalid, before you can apply for a tourist visa outside of Thailand, or receive a 30-day exempt entry at a border.  Since you are already on an EOS for 13 years, it would become invalid on the spot if you exited Thailand without a re-entry permit issued for this EOS. So you can play safe card,  exit Thailand anytime before the valid until date of your EOS without a re-entry permit (don't exit after that date as it would technically put you on overstay)  and then the easiest way would be you re-enter Thailand with a 30-day visa exempt which can be extended inside Thailand for further 30 days for 1900 THB.  Note:  When applying for the conversion of the exempt visa to a Non-Imm-O visa  on immigration, your valid until stamp must have a minimum of 15 days validity

17 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

as Ubon Joe already wrote,  firstly your existing "extension of stay (EOS) based on retirement" from your old O/A visa,  must have become invalid, before you can apply for a tourist visa outside of Thailand, or receive a 30-day exempt entry at a border.  Since you are already on an EOS for 13 years, it would become invalid on the spot if you exited Thailand without a re-entry permit issued for this EOS. So you can play safe card,  exit Thailand anytime before the valid until date of your EOS without a re-entry permit (don't exit after that date as it would technically put you on overstay)  and then the easiest way would be you re-enter Thailand with a 30-day visa exempt which can be extended inside Thailand for further 30 days for 1900 THB.  Note:  When applying for the conversion of the exempt visa to a Non-Imm-O visa  on immigration, your valid until stamp must have a minimum of 15 days validity

Good clear advice. Just to add small point. For his conversion from ve to non o he will need show money came from outside of Thailand using money in bank method.

Obtain non o outside of los that is not required.

25 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. So just ext the country a few days before my O-A expires, then maybe spend some time on holiday, return with no re-entry permit and get a Visa exempt stamp for 30-days, renewable (at immigration's discretion) for up to 90 days. Correct?

9 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. So just ext the country a few days before my O-A expires, then maybe spend some time on holiday, return with no re-entry permit and get a Visa exempt stamp for 30-days, renewable (at immigration's discretion) for up to 90 days. Correct?

Yes. 

Keep in mind, if short holiday is possible, you could consider obtaining the non o outside of Thailand. Skips obtaining your extension to VE and conversion from VE to non O at imm. Check if Saigon does non o retirement. Ripper place.

Edited by DrJack54

9 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

After applying for an non immigrant visa you would get a new 90 day entry.

12 minutes ago, Hurricane51 said:

I presume your original OA Visa validity date has already expired, so you need to exit the country before the permission to stay as stamped in your passport expires.  That can be done till last day it allows.  As you do not have a re-entry permit, that permission to stay will be voided when exiting Thailand.  

If convenient/pleasant for you you can combine the exiting of Thailand with a short/long holiday abroad, but you can also IMMEDIATELY return (same day you exited).  As US-citizen will you get a 30 day Visa Exempt stamp, which can be extended for another 30 days at any local IO (costs 1900 THB).  During that period you can apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa at the IO of the place where you intend to stay long-term.  That has to be done 15 (some IOs require 21) days before the permission to stay of your (extended) Visa Exempt entry expires.

In the last month of that that 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa, you can then apply for a 1 year extension of stay at the same local IO where you applied for the 90-day Visa.

Having done that you will have same status as your presently have (and no bogus thai-approved health-insurance requirement).

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

After applying for an non immigrant visa you would get a new 90 day entry.

Got it. I should have insurance before that, but it's good to have an option. Will I need to submit one of those stupid TM30 forms if I have a new visa?

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

ADD-ON > Wanted to PM you, but strangely your profile does not have a Message option.

Can also e-mail it to you when you provide me your e-mail address.

Hi Peter, I am in a similar situation, would you mind sending me your roadmap, I could use the guidance and would like to check my approach before submitting my documents. I would really appreciate your assistance, thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, Hurricane51 said:

Valid O-A based on retirement extended contiguously for 13 year

You have an extension of your permission to stay. Your visa expired more than a decade ago. If you don't have a re-entry permit, if you leave the country and return you'll only get a 30 day visa exempt entry since you would then have neither a visa nor an extension based on retirement.