Americans increasingly critical of Trump's record on Iran, most expect war - Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

He promised to be reducing the number of US troops in the mideast st. Instead he has increased it.

So you think he has had this as a goal since the beginning? He let several Iranian attacks slide without a response. 

I think he will respond then pull back unless they begin to escalate. 

16 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Let's cross our fingers and pray this won't weaken the dollar. Otherwise some American expats living in Thailand are going to feel it.

US is in the fortunate position where it can protect itself from too much increase in the price of oil as it produces the majority (>80%) of oil consumed internally & it's largest imports come from Canada/Mexico where it obviously has a lot of political clout it can use to help keep things stable.

A quick search for stats on Imports Vs Exports shows... 

In the third quarter of 2018, the U.S. imported roughly 10.2 million barrels of petroleum per day,3 with the largest amounts coming from Canada (41%) and Saudi Arabia (10%).4

In the third quarter of 2018, the U.S. exported roughly 7.5 million barrels of petroleum per day.3 The largest markets for U.S. petroleum exports are Mexico and Canada, but the U.S. exports petroleum to 180 countries.5

Edit to add link: https://www.americangeosciences.org/critical-issues/faq/how-much-oil-does-us-export-and-import

P.S. the USA is a single country so only has 1 capital... Wall Street ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Deflect away from your own remarks.

Deflect what? We know the EU wants those billions of dollars in contracts in Iran, that was the reason to push the Iran deal. 

Why so sensitive? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

US is in the fortunate position where it can protect itself from too much increase in the price of oil as it produces the majority (>80%) of oil consumed internally & it's largest imports come from Canada/Mexico where it obviously has a lot of political clout it can use to help keep things stable.

A quick search for stats on Imports Vs Exports shows... 

In the third quarter of 2018, the U.S. imported roughly 10.2 million barrels of petroleum per day,3 with the largest amounts coming from Canada (41%) and Saudi Arabia (10%).4

In the third quarter of 2018, the U.S. exported roughly 7.5 million barrels of petroleum per day.3 The largest markets for U.S. petroleum exports are Mexico and Canada, but the U.S. exports petroleum to 180 countries.5

Edit to add link: https://www.americangeosciences.org/critical-issues/faq/how-much-oil-does-us-export-and-import

P.S. the USA is a single country so only has 1 capital... Wall Street ???? 

All very nice for the US maybe. But  the rest of the world?

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Iran spent  years  fighting their  neighbours and neither side learnt anything.

I am not sure of that. Someone better have learnt Iran can take a million casualties; I don't think America or any western country would do that a second time. 

Will be interesting if no one was killed in the Iranian missile attack. It is Iraq base on Iraq territory; it is up to Iraq to respond not the USA. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

All very nice for the US maybe. But  the rest of the world?

We're screwed ???? 

Actually, UK gets most of its oil from Norway but any slow down in the oil coming out of the Middle East will obviously make this more expensive (basic supply & demand) so price of goods/Inflation will go up (on top of any increases caused by uncertainties around Brexit), which would force the BOE to raise interest rates so GBP may even rise. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Whatever the merits of the deal, what's that got to do with the economic warfare that the US is waging on Iran? Who in their right mind wouldn't expect that Iran would ultimately respond?

Sanctions were in place long before this president took office, with Iranians beginning to protest in the streets, then the Obama administration told them that they would drop the sanctions as soon as they were in office. What was the result of the appeasement? Any reduction in the proxy wars? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Reported on CNN no American casualties.

I believe CNN qualified that statement with words something like "that we know of".

Excuse me please, I must look at my portfolio and see how I can make "a tidy little sum out of this attack".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I remember when I was a young man seeing on the 6 o'clock news video of Iraq heavy howitzers pounding some target in Iran.  A lot of the goings on before then and after could have been left to the middle eastern ratbags to sort out one way or the other.  Hopefully POTUS will hit em with a big wammy then pull back...and wait for a chance to bump off the leaders.  ????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Someone on here makes a remark about Europeans to deflect from his own position. You fall for that with your eyes wide open and run away with it.

I have no need to Deflect anything. If you are going to comment on this situation and try to tell us how virtuous you are, then you have to own your colonial past and the horrible things that happened on a much longer time line. Own it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1