Thai Identification Card

tinkerbelll

I've got a thai frd and she show me her indentification card. I find that their date of birth is not on their identication card instead it was replace by the buddha's date of birth. Is all thais identification card like this? So if I migrate to there, will I be require to do the same too?

The Thai calendar uses a different numbering system to a western calendar. I am sure other posters will give a more detailed reply - but to calculate the Thai year, add 543 years. Thus - it is now year 2007 and 2550 in Thailand.

Thai government departments use the Thai calendar - you are free to use either.

Peter

The Thai calendar uses a different numbering system to a western calendar. I am sure other posters will give a more detailed reply - but to calculate the Thai year, add 543 years. Thus - it is now year 2007 and 2550 in Thailand.

Peter

That's informative but abit confusing here. So how about the date and months? How to calculate it? Take today's date as example: 2/4/07.

Peter

That's informative but abit confusing here. So how about the date and months? How to calculate it? Take today's date as example: 2/4/07.

The Thai date order is dd/mm/yy and not mm/dd/yy as in many other parts of the world. Example Dec. 19 2007 would be 19/12/07 or 19/12/50 (Thai year standard). Nearly all year references in Thailand will be on based on 2550 format.

Tinkerbell,

You say you have a female thai friend in this thread, but you were just asking in a previous thread what a thai person looks like!! I'm confused

Hhhmmm!!

I wonder??

Well, that one was posted January 11th - so 2 1/2 months to meet someone is possible. :o

Tinkerbell,

You say you have a female thai friend in this thread, but you were just asking in a previous thread what a thai person looks like!! I'm confused

Hhhmmm!!

I wonder??

Well, that one was posted January 11th - so 2 1/2 months to meet someone is possible. :o

Sorry........................

I will now go and stand in the corner

Mark

Tinkerbell,

Hhhmmm!!

I wonder??

Mark

Serves you right! Now you know, nobody loves a pedant, especially a non-contributor pedant. You're so hot on chronology, why not just give him a civil answer to his question?

Well, the dates and month all works the same over here, except it is dd/mm/yyyy (like the UK) as opposed to the US standard of mm/dd/yyyy. Today in Thailand would be 03/04/2550.

The Buddhist year is 543 years ahead of the roman year. It has been 2550 years since Buddha was born, and 2007 years since Jesus was crucified.

Basically, to convert a roman-year into a Buddhist year, just add 543 to it.

For example: 2007 + 543 = 2550

Regards

Pavee

Edited by paveet

I have seen the new smart ID cards, with the date using the Christian calendar. Not to be overly pedantic, but it is assumed (incorrectly) that Christ was born on 1 AD, and the prior year was 1 BC. There is no zero. Thus, comparing dates between AD and BC needs to have one less year. On the old Mayan long count calendar, it's something like year 5,121.

I have seen the new smart ID cards, with the date using the Christian calendar. Not to be overly pedantic, but it is assumed (incorrectly) that Christ was born on 1 AD, and the prior year was 1 BC. There is no zero. Thus, comparing dates between AD and BC needs to have one less year. On the old Mayan long count calendar, it's something like year 5,121.

pedantic, nay, donnish PB

If we are really getting pedantic, Herod the Great, who ordered the slaughter of the Innocents,

died in 3 BC. So the exact start of the Christian calender is a little suspect.

However adding 543 to Roman dates will give your the Buddhist date.

I was born in 2490!! :o

The Thai date order is dd/mm/yy and not mm/dd/yy as in many other parts of the world.

There is only one country that uses mm/dd/yy that I know of. Most countries use dd/mm/yy. Even the one country that does it the wrong way round(USA) don't do it on official things like Immigration cards.

Tinkerbell,

Hhhmmm!!

I wonder??

Mark

Serves you right! Now you know, nobody loves a pedant, especially a non-contributor pedant. You're so hot on chronology, why not just give him a civil answer to his question?

Seems you are also a non-contrubutor, why not take my mistake/apology as it, is and keep out of it? Or are you looking to disrupt the thread as much as i did?

Many thanks pal!

Sorry once again tinkerbell

Mark

The Thai date order is dd/mm/yy and not mm/dd/yy as in many other parts of the world.

There is only one country that uses mm/dd/yy that I know of. Most countries use dd/mm/yy. Even the one country that does it the wrong way round(USA) don't do it on official things like Immigration cards.

Thanks, wasn't 100% sure of that - after living here for so long it seems to be the logical way of doing it (dd/mm/yy) as is metric. :o