Prince Harry and wife Meghan to 'step back' from senior royal roles

webfact

7 hours ago, jaiyen said:

She is typical Yank, wants everything her way. He should never have been allowed to marry her. She has dragged down the Royal family and is now taking away a decent bloke to be her lap dog. Let them go and never come back.  I would love to know what Prince Phillip thinks of her !

I know what the Queen Mum would have done with her.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JAG said:

I believe that Diana Princess of Wales met and had an affair with Hewitt after Prince Harry was born - which rather puts the boot into that particular scandal; and yes, there is a regressive "red head" gene in the Spencer family.

Mind you by all accounts there was plenty of scandal around - she had a fairly energetic social life at the end of and after her marriage - coppers, surgeons, rugby internationals and so on...

Of course the press have turned on him, both the tabloids and the broadsheets. He makes no secret that he blames them for his mothers death. Whilst not perhaps entirely true, the reptiles will never let that alone!

It's <deleted> like this kind of speculative post that they are desperate to get away from, that and a poisonous media and intrusive social media. I fail to see what it had got to do with anyone but their immediate  family.  

Good idea to step back. 

Then they have 365 days to spend tax payer's money without any work. 

I got a Labrador at home. I give him water and food just to accompany me. He has to depend on me. Without me he wouldn't survive. 

How comes this to my mind? 

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, jayboy said:

They actually expect the British state and taxpayer to continue providing quite a lot.I'm not much interested one way or the other but they appear to want their cake in addition to eating it.Also inexplicable and shockingly bad mannered not to have consulted Queen in advance before making the announcement.

Pretty shocking they didn't discuss this with the family beforehand. Even forgetting their status, who does something huge like this without discussing it with relatives?

This has got Markle written all over it. Sad to see.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I imagine that given the free choice, they would walk away from all of it, the status, the money, the protection.  Can't blame them, I would hate it and  so would most sane people. He didn't ask to be born into such a dysfunctional family outfit, I also imagine that they didn't tell the 'Firm' because the firm would have done all it can to dissuade them, that includes Her Majesty.  Best to do the right thing for you and apologise afterwards, than to have the hassle of trying to explain it to people who will never understand. Again, I say good on them, 

What's stopping them? The problem is that they apparently want it all (money, status, property) except the obligation to fulfil a proper work schedule.I have every sympathy with their wish to disappear from the limelight.Some are not fitted out for the endless exposure and it's hard not to feel for Harry given his childhood traumas.They have enough money to have a wonderful private life.But you can't half do it any more than you can be a little bit pregnant.

Their announcement was ill thought out and petulant and I imagine deeply hurtful to HM.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Even if they never took another dime, thier connections mean they never have to work a day in thier lives.. Advisor fees, non exec director fees, the patronage networks run deep. 

They are just perfect as hosts on a  TV chat show , stateside of course .. 

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It is if you are British.

Either they are royals and have to do all the boring stuff, or they ain't and the taxpayer can stop supporting them.

9 hours ago, DoctorG said:

As long as they stop getting taxpayers' money I don't care what they do.

They are not supported by the taxpayer, neither do they get any taxpayer money.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So Harry lives a life of luxury for 35 years at taxpayers expense and then when it's time to give something back he "steps back" from his duties. No doubt he'll be flying between the UK and North America to lecture the people that pay for the flights about reducing their carbon emissions.

I have no problem if he wants to "step back" from his duties, as long as he returns the assets that taxpayers have given him and he receives no more public money. Fair's fair.

He's going to have a big shock when he realizes what's involved in being financially independent. I guess he could go on the talk show circuit for a few quid and Markle could go back to starring in B movies.

He does not live at the taxpayers expense, neither have the taxpayers given him any assets.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

yeah that multi million house renovation wasnt state funded at all huh ??? 

It wasn't taxpayer funded, it came from the Sovereign Grant which is a percentage of the income of the Crown Estates and the renovation of the property had been underway a long time before they moved in or were connected with it.

Edited by Just Weird

11 hours ago, car720 said:

Behind every great man is a great woman, but not in this case.

There is , Harrys mother .

Prince Diana was never accepted by the royals,  { much the same as Meghan. }

Her purpose was to provide a heir and spare,  job done, then she was dumped .

Diana,  will never be forgotten,  revenge will be so sweet ,  thx Harry ....

Edited by elliss

46 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It wasn't taxpayer funded, it came from the Sovereign Grant which is a percentage of the income of the Crown Estates and the renovation of the property had been underway a long time before they moved in or were connected with it.

Nonsense on both.. It was done because they wanted it and to many of thier specs and desires.. and the Sovereign grant is primarily funded by the exchequer. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Nonsense on both.. It was done because they wanted it and to many of thier specs and desires.. and the Sovereign grant is primarily funded by the exchequer. 

It wasn't nonsense.  The basic renovation was funded by the Sovereign Grant, specifics such as furniture, curtains, units, yetc, were paid for privately by the couple.

The Sovereign Grant is funded by the income from the Crown Estates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Pretty shocking they didn't discuss this with the family beforehand. Even forgetting their status, who does something huge like this without discussing it with relatives?

This has got Markle written all over it. Sad to see.

She probably posted it to Instagram while Harry was asleep. Handed it to him as a fait accompli when he woke up.

I imagine if comes to it she is no longer royal, the Clooneys won't be sucking up to her anymore - no more corporate jet borrow.

Edited by mokwit
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

This was on the cards awhile back, when Markle clashed repeatedly with Kate leading to a problem between the brothers.

It was said then that Harry would be sent off to either South Africa or Australia as the tension/problem had to be diffused and Markle was getting to much press attention in the UK.

Both princess do and Fergus thought they could join the royal family and reform it.

9 hours ago, JAG said:

I believe that Diana Princess of Wales met and had an affair with Hewitt after Prince Harry was born - which rather puts the boot into that particular scandal; and yes, there is a regressive "red head" gene in the Spencer family.

Mind you by all accounts there was plenty of scandal around - she had a fairly energetic social life at the end of and after her marriage - coppers, surgeons, rugby internationals and so on...

Of course the press have turned on him, both the tabloids and the broadsheets. He makes no secret that he blames them for his mothers death. Whilst not perhaps entirely true, the reptiles will never let that alone!

That is nothing ,  compared to her so called husband ,  and his  Rite Royal form , with the blessing of the church ...

Diana was a victim ,  who eventually, played the royals at their own game ,  and Won....

Edited by elliss

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Up to the time when the likes of Murdoch and Maxwell bought national newspapers,all the comings and goings of the royal family went unreported because the likes of your Lord rothermeres  and Lord beaverbrooks were all members of the same little club.

14 minutes ago, elliss said:

That is nothing ,  compared to her so called husband ,  and his  Rite Royal form , with the blessing of the church ...

Diana was a victim ,  who eventually, played the royals at their own game ,  and Won....

She lost her life,what exactly did she win?

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In other words they want the perks without doing the job properly.

IMO the best thing for the royal family is to see the back of those two, IMO, waste of space royals. Sooner gone for good the better.

I could go on about what a huge mistake he made marrying her, but I doubt anyone hasn't already decided an opinion about her.

She's got him by the short hairs and he appears to like it.  IMHO things are not going to end well.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, car720 said:

Behind every great man is a great woman, but not in this case.

4 hours ago, elliss said:

There is , Harrys mother .

Prince Diana was never accepted by the royals,  { much the same as Meghan. }

Her purpose was to provide a heir and spare,  job done, then she was dumped .

Diana,  will never be forgotten,  revenge will be so sweet ,  thx Harry ....

Prince Harry took his revenge on the Royals by his choice of a marriage partner.

• Like 2