Why do Foreigners marry a Thai Nationals?

SoSoCNX

Why ,because i had a business in BKK met the wife while there , got talking ,became friends ,then started a relationship ,fell in love ,got married a year or so later ,funny i met my first wife who was English like that ,never wondered why i married an English girl ,so why wonder why i married a Thai girl .?

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not sure if the OP is trolling for wind-ups here or what his true angle is.  Hopefully the OP is not racist.  The clear answer is that a person marries their partner for life regardless of race, color, creed or nationality...….all else is ridiculous to assume.  With any relationship there are always inherent risks.

OP is most likely confusing (deliberately, perhaps?) Thai women with Thai prostitutes. They are not the same thing, the problem is the outside world thinks they are (which is Thailand's fault). I came here 20-odd years with a valid job and married a local girl (not a bargirl) three years later. I don't think that's in any way remarkable.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

My Thai wife is fluent in English and educated. Contrary to TV belief not all Thai have low IQ and low English proficiency. When I met her she was already watching western movies and listening to western music so she kind of understand western culture. I know what you mean because the first Thai women I met had much lower education and English skills but I did not marry any of them. By the way if we don't speak nor read Thai then most Thai also see us as low IQ and uneducated. 

you have to be careful about making generalisations, however living here i can say the vast majority of foreign/thai couples, married or not, i overhear communicating with each other are using the most basic of language; the foreigner cannot speak thai and the thai cannot speak english. and yet they seem, for the most part happy together.

different people have different needs and expectations from relationships. personally, whether back home, here, or anywhere, i date educated, middle class, professional women who have jobs, cars and homes and with whom i can communicate effectively and have meaningful interaction.

others prefer women with lower education and lower, or no, employment expectations, this i would argue gives the man some feeling of well being through control and of being the patriarchal provider and of not being alone/lonely, and if that suits them, and the woman, then fine.

live and let live.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SoSoCNX said:

I, for one, do not see any real benefit to a foreigner 

“How can it be that we can
Say so much without words?
Bless you and bless me
Bless the bees
And the birds
I've got to be near you
Every night, every day
I couldn't be happy
Any other way

It must be love, love, love
Nothing more, nothing less
Love is the best”

It must be love

Madness

• Like 1

Worked with the ma-in-law in my home country, met the wife through her, while she was there studying at the university. Was a no brainer for me. In a sea of incompetent baggage carrying low education, no credit having beefalos, choosing a perpetually polite, self respecting and higher than average educated foreign woman who has maintained her petite size and demeanor over the last decade, was an easy choice. 

But make no mistake of it, we certainly have our culture differences and it requires communication and understanding to find a middle ground. But I'm not complicated, just be loyal and don't turn into a heifer, and I'll handle the outside world for us.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

My friend's cousin was visiting in the States. He was busy at work and it was my day off. He asked if I could take her, and her cousin, to Disneyland. 

We hit it off. And, 4 years later, we married.

I believe that's how it's done.

But why?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“How can it be that we can
Say so much without words?
Bless you and bless me
Bless the bees
And the birds
I've got to be near you
Every night, every day
I couldn't be happy
Any other way

Nothing more, nothing less
Love is the best”

It must be love

Madness

Actually it was by Labi Siffre (1971), but Madness did an excellent cover 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

My friend's cousin was visiting in the States. He was busy at work and it was my day off. He asked if I could take her, and her cousin, to Disneyland. 

We hit it off. And, 4 years later, we married.

I believe that's how it's done.

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

But why?

"We hit it off." ?

Whatever the nationality, this is usually the best reason. After 4 years, I figured it was a pretty good bet.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 6:15 AM, canuckamuck said:

15 years in, I am still satisfied. Would marry again. 5 stars

" a happy muck is a happy .......... ooops    "    forgot which forum i was on.

good on ya  mate 

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, samsensam said:

you have to be careful about making generalisations, however living here i can say the vast majority of foreign/thai couples, married or not, i overhear communicating with each other are using the most basic of language; the foreigner cannot speak thai and the thai cannot speak english. and yet they seem, for the most part happy together.

different people have different needs and expectations from relationships. personally, whether back home, here, or anywhere, i date educated, middle class, professional women who have jobs, cars and homes and with whom i can communicate effectively and have meaningful interaction.

others prefer women with lower education and lower, or no, employment expectations, this i would argue gives the man some feeling of well being through control and of being the patriarchal provider and of not being alone/lonely, and if that suits them, and the woman, then fine.

live and let live.

Samsensam Farang ?   by any chance ?

the Title should be why do dudes marry...

I should have just stuck with the cutie at the end of my left arm. Such smooth lovely fingers!

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Beautifully put.

Exotica plus erotica.

Not often seen in the West nowadays.

I could have said restaurants, 7/11, Massage, any store in a shopping mall and the "single" girls would most likely be up for a date or two, with possible marriage. Most girls who leave their families to go to the tourist areas, have an agenda, and they also have a reason for it, as the men who come there seeking for some attention or maybe a wife or two. 

I was different of course! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tagged said:

I could have said restaurants, 7/11, Massage, any store in a shopping mall and the "single" girls would most likely be up for a date or two, with possible marriage. Most girls who leave their families to go to the tourist areas, have an agenda, and they also have a reason for it, as the men who come there seeking for some attention or maybe a wife or two. 

I was different of course! 

Oh of course..indubitably...

I think that the agenda goes both ways....a willing meeting of fantasies so to speak.

And why not?

On 1/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, 473geo said:

Hate condoms, enjoy good natural sex with somebody who appears to care for my happiness as much as I care for hers.

Hope you got a vasectomy.  Children can change attitudes and certainly take time, finances, and freedoms from your life.  Of course if you are young and want offspring, thats how its done.

• Thanks 1

It's beauty but for many that will be the death of them. Most relationships never reach the level of understanding of those in which both partners are from the same language and culture. Farangs will never be Thai and Thais will never truly get what it is to be that person from that other culture. I'm married to a Thai and life is okay but our relationship is nowhere near what it could be were we both speaking the same language and seeing things from the same point of view.  I think Thais are better marrying Thais and the same for people from other nations for the most true understanding and ease. Life with an average Thai is difficult and challenging and it goes the other way too. It eventually drives some over the edge