Ukrainian aircraft was shot down in Iran due to human error - Iran military statement

rooster59

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

When my old-skool dad watched television reports of middle east countries protesting in the streets, he'd always say 'these people would follow a donkey'.

Much like some following the duck...

1 hour ago, AussieBob18 said:

Undoubtedly those blaming Trump for this are in need of a serious self-evaluation.  This issue is above politics. Of course it was accidental - innocent people died because of the incompetent Iran military and using this to make a political statement about Trump is disgusting.

I rest my case (and he’s not even from the land of Retardistan (see John Cadogan on YT))

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, JAG said:

Whilst I rather agree that the assassination was the trigger of a series of events which led to this shooting down of a civilian airliner it cannot be blamed on Trump.

It is what happens, almost inevitably, when a military force is effectively beyond control of a civil government, and is driven by ideology and religious or political fanaticism. 

I will not expect any meaningful action to be taken against the Revolutionary Guards. They answer only to the theocracy which rules Iran. To them, any Muslim victims are martyrs and any unbelievers of no account.

This sounds very familiar.

I agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

The whole bloody country of Iran is one human error as long as those muhllas are dictating life there and keeping magnificent country such as Iran in the dark ages...

Would it be in the USA's interest if they'd be be way more developed?

I a kind of doubt that. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, dexterm said:

Of course the person who fired the missile in error is responsible for the tragic deaths.

But you also have to ask yourself in clear conscience: what is the likelihood of this accident having happened even a week ago, when the atmosphere was not so jittery, and who had recently created that atmosphere by unnecessarily escalating the conflict.
Trump bears part of the responsibility for these deaths.

When leaders do reckless things, sometimes unexpected consequences occur.

RIP for the passengers and crew.

I agree Trump bears part of the responsibility but the main part is still the guy who fired the rocket. I wonder if he gets punished. Its rare for people in the military to get punished harsh. If you look at US mistakes they hardly ever punish them hard. I would not expect Iran to be any different. Though a lot of the victims are their own.

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

Yes, they said it was mechanical failure until it came out that they had shot it down and then they admitted it. 

so yes, after they got caught they decided to do the right thing.

I  think id  mechanically  fail if  a missile  went up my jacksy.......mind you after todays  digging along with the other 4  months  worth I think ive already taken too  much inbound.....  dont mention the   1000 tons  of  stone.....slightly  off  topic

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Gwelloman, so I assume Trump should have just allowed Qassim Solemani to continue his objective of killing Americans.  I suppose however you had no problem with Obama having hundreds of military strikes and of course killing Osama Bin Laden.  Perhaps Trump should have followed Obama's example and let a few more terrorists out of Guantanamo and sent Iran a few hundred billion for good measure.  

The blame game is too obvious, and too futile; sure, we can go back to Mosaddegh, or Thermopylae if you like. But what happened in this latest dust-up is that virtually no military personnel lost their lives, whereas a few hundred civilians died (including at the funeral stampedes in Iran). What I see are two aggressive, hyperactive boys roughhousing in the living room while mom and dad are out, cheered on by other boys, and suddenly an antique lamp gets knocked over and busted. Whoops.

It’s been one of Obama’s better post-presidential ideas that maybe women should be given a shot at running the world (of course, many already have, but there are still notable barriers -- President Klobuchar, anyone?). Women might come up with the idea of using international support and cooperation to build a memorial at the Ukrainian Airlines crash site in Tehran and having everyone come for the opening, and while we’re all there, let’s seriously discuss ways to simmer down, starting with interests that we share, and how do we preserve those. Sure, that’s stupid and naïve (not to mention sexist), but at this point I’m at a freakin’ loss.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

And nothing you have written excuses the Iranians or denies the evil nature of the current regime that imposes its rule on Iranians.

I did not intend to excuse anyone -- I was just pointing out that the Iranians did not set out to kill civilians. As for the “evil nature” of the regime in Tehran, I try to be careful with words like that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am expecting that the next stage in this process; will be a public execution.

Some lowly figure, depicting the Shooter (though not  necessarily have to be him) will be summarily beheaded

- for all to see that they have balanced the books...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Opl said:

Iran’s airspace was a war zone. Iran just fired two dozen ballistic missiles a few hours earlier against US bases in Iraq, retaliation from the US was expected. Iranian anti-aircraft defense was on high alert, anti-aircraft defense systems, which must intercept targets flying at high speed or at low altitude, require rapid décisions, an operator can easily make a mistake , especially when the alert is at it's highest, why was'nt this flight cancelled?

Ever tried telling a company that they cannot make profits today?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Sure they fired the missiles with intention to bring the plane down however they did not know it was a passenger plane but thought it was something else. So it was unintentional in that sense and everyone with half a brain understands that they never wanted to shoot down a passenger airplane on purpose.

How do you know ever heard of double Jeopardy.

1 hour ago, Cory1848 said:

I did not intend to excuse anyone -- I was just pointing out that the Iranians did not set out to kill civilians. As for the “evil nature” of the regime in Tehran, I try to be careful with words like that.

How do you possibly know that? Where you in with the person that  pushed the button?? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Maybe the russians can admit now they shot down Malaysian Air flight 17.

I don't understand why the Iranians let a passenger airplane leaving from Teheran while they waiting for incoming rockets,respectively shooting rockets to Iraq

Perhaps the government is pretty disfunctional? Certainly, the Revolutionary Guards who are the enthusiasts for firing rockets at "The Great Satan" are one gathers not exactly known for liaising and co-ordinating with other parts of the Iranian government, or with anyone for that matter, apart from the junta of mullahs.

• Like 1