Current Nightlife Atmosphere & More

OmniBootstrap

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just to be pedantic, Walking Street didn't exist till mid 90s.

"The Strip" was the predecessor, walking street "opened" in Dec 97, remember thinking what a stupid idea, will never work! ???? 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

This is the fun capital of the world! Number One in My Book for the past 25 years or so.

Certainly was in the 90s. I'd fly over from Saudi, stay in the Dynasty Inn and spend every night in Hollywood Royale ( in Nana Plaza ) till dawn. If I was awake in the afternoon, the city was such an interesting place to explore.

This century I switched to Pattaya as the rental prices rose too much, but it was great while it lasted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CGW said:

"The Strip" was the predecessor, walking street "opened" in Dec 97, remember thinking what a stupid idea, will never work! ???? 

At the start they put out tables and chairs like a beer garden in the street. Eventually the girls started parading and the tables vanished.

It very nearly bankrupted the restaurants at the Bali Hi end ( though Bali Hi didn't yet exist ) because most of the punters stayed at the other end where the gogos were. Wasn't till the Russians arrived that they started to get customers.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At the start they put out tables and chairs like a beer garden in the street.

Remember it, sponsored by Singha, they expected everybody to drink Singha! not that there was a lot of choice back then.

On 1/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, OmniBootstrap said:

Is there still a vibrant nightlife...

Indeed, and I'm regular part of it, and I enjoy it...????

However, it might be slightly different compared to where in Land-of-Smiles you are heading. Some places are with neon lights and pretty girls as you described it; others places are more like ever lasting parties – at least till (very) late – with uncountable gorgeous dating options, both available for a short term date and for longer term companionship...:whistling:

It's up to you, depending of what kind of entertainment you are seeking, and maybe also your age – your opening post sounds like you are a younger person, so perhaps the party-places might be more of your interest, together with lots of other young folks partying on beaches, in trendy pubs, and at disco-clubs all night long – or just visiting both possibilities...????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

You should have been here in 1999, 1989 even better, the whole vibe was ruined by mobile phones!

In a way, you are right; but that's not only the Thai girls addicted to their phones – and their numerous boyfriends – I see unaccountable young foreigners attending a party, only to update their phones; either their own social media status, including selfies, or checking if friends are having a better time somewhere.

Partying was different in the good old hippie era; but partying can still be great, however same-same but different...????

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

See dude, now you are equating the old days Thai nightlife with a scene involving  a screaming and mumbling drunk slobbering on and groping hysterically laughing semi naked farm girls while waitresses hustle  for tips and some yabbaed DJ plays Aerosmith over and over, until he crawls out the door thousands lighter in the purse with some skinny 18 year old from Udon (they were always from Udon or Buriram), who takes him to gobble leftover Maeng Da on a street corner and ends up watching Thai soap operas naked in his bed while he passed out sleeppaneasnoring after a hearty sesssion of power barfing Maekhong Whiskey and bugs, good thing there is a bum gun to wash down the tiles......and ya still pay 1500 in the morning, Huh, I dont remember, Oh Papa you too strong, make me feel good *little dude in the brain starts high fiving, yeah what a stud I am*, hey about round 2, oh no papa, tired me, you strong, I go Mama, she sick, you give cab fare......

I guess someone needs to TOFTT and see if thats still possible. Whos up for it.?

Not sure what you are saying, but doesn't apply to me as I didn't drink alcohol in gogos, or when with a young lady. I certainly remembered what happened night before ( or more acurately in the morning as I'd spend all night in the gogo, not leaving till after dawn.

As for a feed, it was in that place near the corner of 4 and Sukhumvit called Tom's Quick. Had a horrible woman in charge but the food was OK.

29 minutes ago, khunPer said:

In a way, you are right; but that's not only the Thai girls addicted to their phones – and their numerous boyfriends – I see unaccountable young foreigners attending a party, only to update their phones; either their own social media status, including selfies, or checking if friends are having a better time somewhere.

Partying was different in the good old hippie era; but partying can still be great, however same-same but different...????

Coming in from the airport on the train, I was always amazed by western youths of both sexes that were more interested in their phones than looking at the city they spent lots to travel to. IMO stupid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I just knew I'd found paradise on Earth.

Dito. And when I looked at it I realized that there was no way it was gonna last as good as it was back then. So I thought, no point working and saving until I retire.....this place needs enjoying right now !!

Yes...wasn't walking street then but lots of people walked anyway. There was a sacred tree up there by the Marine bar that had a little place selling a very good value foot long hot dog. 

And not long after that they started building second road.

• Like 1

I first came to Bangkok in 1988. But, on a long-term basis, actually in 1991. I spent the majority of the 90's and early 00's in Bangkok. Then since 2005, I have come every year or every two years, usually 2-6 months at a time. I can easily say that the nightlife has been in decline since early 00's. There are 3 main reasons, I say : 1) The introduction of the 2 am curfew thing in 2000 (and which is still in effect). Yes, I know that some venues manage to stay open till 4 or 5 am but there are not many of these.  2) The growth in popularity of the Internet, mainly social media.  3) The increasing popularity of some neighboring countries.

Feel free to disagree :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Now Chiang Mai is dead as a doornail, but a quick hop over to Saigon and it's just like Thailand used to be

(only at 4x the price).

4x the price in the good auld days? Or 4x the current price in Thailand?

I think I remember you writing about staying in Da Nang, is there much of a scene there? And, if so, is it expensive?

9 minutes ago, donnacha said:

4x the price in the good auld days? Or 4x the current price in Thailand?
I think I remember you writing about staying in Da Nang, is there much of a scene there? And, if so, is it expensive

70 beers was too many for me to give up.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

when I looked at it I realized that there was no way it was gonna last as good as it was back then. So I thought, no point working and saving until I retire.....this place needs enjoying right now !!

You were prescient. I should have done the same but somehow made the mistake of thinking it would always be there to return to.

Much as I love Thailand, that special atmosphere is gone, and I find myself wondering if it is still possible to find it elsewhere. I wonder if I am, again, wasting a limited opportunity, somewhere else, by remaining in Thailand.

In some ways, the Philippines nightlife still has that sense of fun, but the actual gogo scene is pretty grim, I suspect a lot of Catholic guilt is stirred in. Online dating, on the other hand, is excellent.

Saigon, on my few trips, felt quite tough - the bar scene feels quite ruthless, while the cultural gap makes online dating somewhat difficult.

I have not tried Phnom Penh yet, but have heard it can be fun.

Edited by donnacha

Just now, donnacha said:

Im heading there in a weekish, and if it works out, that will be a part of next winters adventures (time to start winding down for this year). A couple of knowledgeble guys, like the BritTooster, have good things to say about Cambo and the bad aint no worse thatn anywhere else comparatively.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, donnacha said:

I enjoyed the bar street areas in PP, and playing with the ladies inside the bars.

I also enjoyed the bar street area in Siem Reap, and the freelancers and massage girls.

Cannabis was widely available in Siem Reap and Saigon for some reason.

Not so obvious in HaNoi, Da Nang or PP.

• Thanks 1

Be polite and generous, within reason, and you will easily find a girlfriend. If you want to enjoy nightlife girls, be patient and look around. You can still find a gem. Some clubs are very customer friendly in every way. Ask around.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At the start they put out tables and chairs like a beer garden in the street. Eventually the girls started parading and the tables vanished.

It very nearly bankrupted the restaurants at the Bali Hi end ( though Bali Hi didn't yet exist ) because most of the punters stayed at the other end where the gogos were. Wasn't till the Russians arrived that they started to get customers.

Didn,t they shoot a scene in walking st in the deerhunter?

15 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Ah but your post gave me a chance to be creative. Carry on, your reputation is safe. Leave the projectile vomiting to me.

Fair enough.

Old age is a <deleted> as while I did remember the night before back then, it's all faded away now. If I didn't have the photos, I wouldn't even recall their faces.

Remember that movie Groundhog Day? There was a week I had mostly in Hollywood Royale, but also Playskool and the G Spot that I wish I could have lived over and over. So many girls, so little time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

Didn,t they shoot a scene in walking st in the deerhunter?

I'd have to watch the movie again to know, but it could have been Soi Cowboy, as that featured in at least one I saw, though don't remember name of movie. It was also set in Tilac Agogo, which was the first gogo I took a liking to. Back in the day it was a nice quiet bar, but since the new owners took over it's horrible- all blue glitter and nasty music played too loud.

Just about every farang movie set in LOS features a scene in a gogo, and they are all BS.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not at all. He ( or at least his man Purachai ) stuffed it while in office. I was there at the time- were you?

Yes and the restriction were nothing like that were adopted when the junta took power

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It was a minster in his government who banned sales of alcohol between 2 and 5, supposedly to protect kids from buying it. Thai logic though meant that it was only on sale 11-2, when the kids were out on a lunch break and free to buy (asking for ID to check age has so far never occurred to the Thais). He also tried to close bars and night clubs at midnight, even at 10pm if I remember correctly.

Agree the alcohol thing is rather silly, but I also think there is a huge and continuing influential prohibitionist lobby here.

Don't recall him closing the bars at 10 pm, I recall a much more relaxed attitude than now. Good info though Bangkok Barry.

On 1/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, alant said:

Agree the alcohol thing is rather silly, but I also think there is a huge and continuing influential prohibitionist lobby here.

Don't recall him closing the bars at 10 pm, I recall a much more relaxed attitude than now. Good info though Bangkok Barry.

I'm pretty sure it was later than 10 pm. Maybe 1am.

The after hours pavement bars started after the reduced hours as many girls had not found a "date" for the night, and hung out along Sukhumvit waiting for a pick up. Prior to that, the pavement bars did not exist, and there was no chance of getting a bar fine free liason. All Purachai did was take prostitution out of Nana and spread it all over Sukhumvit in public view.

Edited by thaibeachlovers