เรื่อย ๆ

EricTh

Any continuous action verb will do, in the official tome they give, ทำงานเรื่อย ๆ and amplify with ไม่หยุดเลย 

เดินไปเรื่อย ๆ พูดไปเรื่อย ๆ 

Edited by tgeezer
  • Like 1

I would not call them meanings but effect เรื่อย ๆ has on the verb it follows and I have shown that  to do without stopping.  In the case of ตั้งใจเรียนเรื่อย it means without deviating from that task.  

ค่อย ค่อย ๆ describes nouns or verbs as being not loud, gentle 

เสียงค่อย พูดค่อย เดินค่อย i can’t see any connection. 

คอย on the other hand means ‘wait’ which in คอยตามทางนี้อยู่เรื่อย ๆ จะถึง..... you might feel that คอย shows that you will need to be patient, follow the path you are on more (อยู่เรื่อย ๆ) 

Someone might say ‘Keep Following this pathway...’ but then I could ask what does ‘keep’ mean?   There are pages of definitions for Keep in the dictionary all of which you are familiar. So as the video says you can say that following a verb เรื่อย ๆ means “keep” ..  I prefer to say that it means carry on doing.  

ทุบเรื่อย keep hitting -  hit repeatedly - carry on hitting, but the word is chosen on the nature of the verb เดินเรื่อย is not to walk repeatedly! 

Edited by tgeezer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

That video is the best but it only explain one meaning. I think there are many other meanings.

Another meaning is same as ค่อย ๆ ?

Something is very difficult for translate perfectly. English-thai.

tgeezer help explain it better than me sure.

look at the longdo dict again. Have some example.

i think the best way is just start use it your conversation, it will feel normal after some time.

Not think to much, just do it! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find speaking and translation to be two very different skillsets. I always asked or observed what Thais would say in a given situation, rather than how to translate something.  Usage and context helped bring about understanding, even when I could not provide an exact translation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1