Unveiling Thai Military's Complex Business Interests

webfact

Most of the 700 or 800 'generals' have the military competence of the average AN reader.

The government could make a start on fixing its budget worries by removing them from the Army list, stopping their pensions and taxing their business earnings.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

And those are the legal business interests, we really don't know the extent of the illegal business interests that these generals are involved in. Drug running, human trafficking, prostitution, gambling, etc. The list likely goes on and on. The Thai army is not exactly a paragon of integrity, and there is no question about the fact that they're not sufficiently policed! 

For a full expose, I suggest you read "Bangkok 8"" by John Burdett, plus his follow up books  !

7 hours ago, webfact said:

purportedly using dividends for extra income.

Make that tax-free income. Such income should be deducted from the military's budget by the House.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The list likely goes on and on

There might also be Thailand natural resources that over the decades have been part of land granted to the military, ie., allegefly for military maneuvers. Such could include embedded timber, coal, minerals, etc. Whose income should belong to the Thai people.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rovinman said:

For a full expose, I suggest you read "Bangkok 8"" by John Burdett, plus his follow up books  !

I have, he's a very good writer, unfortunately it's fiction though it's probably closer to reality than one would presume. I would really like to see a true expose, but then again since there's no investigative journalism being done in Thailand, that's not going to happen. 

The Thai military includes over 1,700 flag officers (generals and admirals), equating to about one general for every 212 troops. This is one of the highest in the world. But there are also many generals "without portfolio" just pottering around with time on their hands - they aren't going to go quietly when they have businesses to run......

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

And who owns U-tapao airport ?

I thought it was the Navy.  They ban you from taking photos of landing & taking off in case they reveal classified information.  Those making this edict have never heard of Google Maps or Google Earth!

• Haha 1

I recall visiting a Moo Bahn under construction. The wife had a friend that worked in the office. I had the pleasure of meeting two senior army officers who were managing the show, and viewed multiple vehicles and construction equipment that were painted green. Most of the numpties working on the site were wearing camo pants as de rigueur.

Didn't see any tanks, but I suppose all the green trucks with the bench seats under canvas  ferried the draftees from barracks to work.

Got offered a good cash discount, but I got the impression the nice army officer was actually trying to do a side deal on his business partners.

TIT:coffee1:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Most of the 700 or 800 'generals' have the military competence of the average AN reader.

What All 800 generals have the competence of One AN member ? I'll go along with that. 

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

I thought it was the Navy.  They ban you from taking photos of landing & taking off in case they reveal classified information.  Those making this edict have never heard of Google Maps or Google Earth!

It is shared between the Navy and civilian Airlines. It was built by the US for B52s to bomb Vietnam and Laos.

the military own banks, they own most of the TV stations and other media.

THey were responsible for huge logging operations in the 1970s to 80s.

You will find many hotels owed by military personnel.

Often encroachment in National Parks is by businesses with military in charge.

There are "Welfare Businesses": These are allegedly to cater to military personnel and their families. E.G. boxing stadiums, convenience stores , and housing projects.

then "General Businesses" (ironically named?) - These operate in the open/civilian market, gas stations, retail shops on "military land", and they rent out land for commercial purposes.

Other fields like tourism are also operated in -   golf courses, hotels, and resorts, all managed by the military