Playing music on unrelated work permit

19 hours ago, Regain said:

im trying to get a job and work permit, but would be interested in playing in a band too. Does the work permit allow this?

Only if it's specified in the WP – probably a separate WP if you regular job is not as an musician – however, if you all play for fun in free time, and never public for a fee, it's a hobby; I'm however not sure if you need some kind of paperwork done if playing public for charity, some charity work need a WP.

There has been a case in the area I live, where immigration got after a foreigner playing, or rather singing, in a band performing public for money – combination of small fee and tip box – the other band members were all Thais. Probably it was due to a tip from someone; however the foreign guy managed to jump over a fence and disappear in the coconut plantagen when the crowd of immigration officers arrived in the restaurant. To my knowledge he never performed again, I think he even left the country. It's however some years back, so perhaps law or rules has changed.

I remember reading a news story about that it should be easier for foreign artists to perform in Thailand. Many foreign professional DJs do widely published guest performances where I live – one was said to get paid a million baht for one night, which sounds right due to his fame – and some foreign musicians seems to sometime jam in with local bands; but the last, jam session, is not for money, fun only...????

My former next door foreign neighbor played in a "farang" band – however, a period the drummer was Thai – and I asked him if they needed work permit when they occasionally played in public. He said that paperwork had to be in order – I presume he knew what he talked about, as he was solicitor and owner of a Thai law firm – but he didn't specify "paperwork"...????

On 1/12/2020 at 10:07 PM, FritsSikkink said:

That would depend on the descriptions at the "permitted category of work" and "permitted locality of work"

As far as I know, with the last amendment of the labour law for foreigners (2018, I think it was), category of work and locality of work are not defined anymore. You can work anywhere, and do any work that is not prohibited for foreigners.

I even think newly issued work permits don't have that description anymore. But someone would have to confirm that as mine was issued years ago.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 10:13 PM, elviajero said:

Almost certainly no.

You'd need one WP specifying both jobs or two separate WP’s for each job.

Usual dumb responses here - the law was changed in 2018. One work permit allows you to work in multiple jobs which don't need to be specified past the first job as long as the other job isn't a Thai-only profession. 

You can't even get a work permit for two jobs now if you wanted one. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Krabi King said:

As far as I know, with the last amendment of the labour law for foreigners (2018, I think it was), category of work and locality of work are not defined anymore. You can work anywhere, and do any work that is not prohibited for foreigners.

I even think newly issued work permits don't have that description anymore. But someone would have to confirm that as mine was issued years ago.

I got my new digital last year and it defines these 2 categories. No employer on the digital anymore.