Panic In My Soi

sammieuk1

55 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have seen many in 40 yrs working in the trade.

35 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps, but if it were an issue there would be legislation to cover it, but there ain't. 

I personally have never had an issue with a rusted out tank, even the period when cars fell apart via rust mid last century..????

I recently sold my original owner 1973 Dodge Charger and its 47 year-old fuel tank wasn't rusted out. In my 20+ years of experience working in a repair shop '64-'85 and still doing my own car maintenance today, I never replaced a fuel tank and I never knew anyone or a company that only specialized in fuel tank replacement. 

• Thanks 1

I had a Citroen Xantia for many years converted to gas. No idea what gas, but filled it in a standard petrol station when it was 35p a litre. Conversion cost me £1800 and never had an issue as it was maintained under warranty, apart from parts.

I also had a Citroen C4 with which I did the same, and it was a mare. Went into limp mode at 75 in the outside lane of the M4 near Heathrow. Luckily was a member of the AA. It turns out the distributors were boogered. 

Cost in the long term was what drove me down this road, pun intended, long term it was cheaper for me to convert and run on gas than on petrol.

I went back to diesel thereafter and never regretted it.

1 hour ago, transam said:

I personally have never had an issue with a rusted out tank, even the period when cars fell apart via rust mid last century..????

Indeed, I have had a lot of Vehicles in the past 50 years never had or personally heard of one with a rusted out fuel tank.

I hope no one here ever witnesses an LPG explosion. Complete combustion of the entire atmosphere in which gas is contained ... AND all at the same moment = very, very violent explosion. Makes a gasoline, or a natural gas explosions look like phizers!

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I hope no one here ever witnesses an LPG explosion. Complete combustion of the entire atmosphere in which gas is contained ... AND all at the same moment = very, very violent explosion. Makes a gasoline, or a natural gas explosions look like phizers!

That's a BLEVE. Not a common occurrence but spectacular and very, very dangerous.

14 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Melting point of Aluminum 660.3 C

How on earth can cylinder head temps - on an aluminum head - be 600 ?

You must be quoting EGT - exhaust gas temperature

Or ...

600 degrees is possible at the point of ignition, but the alloy pistons and cylinder head will not get that hot.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:38 PM, Scott Tracy said:

Went into limp mode at 75 in the outside lane of the M4 near Heathrow. Luckily was a member of the AA. It turns out the distributors were boogered. 

Not sure wahat the technical expression is but LPG has a higher resistance and needs higher voltage to jump the spark gap. So puts a strain on the ignition system. Most modern spark ignition cars are made with all fuels in mind so are mostly OK.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 1/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, emptypockets said:

That's a BLEVE. Not a common occurrence but spectacular and very, very dangerous.

Definitely dangerous.

From Wikipedia: The gas explosion on New Phetchaburi Road in Bangkok was a major disaster in Thailand. It took place on 24 September 1990, when a liquid petroleum gas tanker truck crashed on the expressway exit at New Phetchaburi Road, causing large explosions and fires that burned through 38 shophouses for over 24 hours. 90 people died, 121 were injured and 43 cars were destroyed, making it one of the deadliest man-made disasters in Thailand.

LPG tanker explosion, Italy.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, transam said:

Very thin tank because it is not under pressure. As for rust, so what, how many rusted out tanks have you had..?...????

Well if I'm unlucky every car I driven here had a rusted gas tank... ???? Since fuel tanks mounted under belly any little scratch would quickly develops rust in rainy season.

First car I bought starts leaking fuel whenever filled more than 10 litres, since a tank cost 3000 baht I couldn't afford at time, I just epoxyed the thing and let it slowly leak as its wish. Luckily still got CNG and 10l gasoline is usually sufficient for commute...

My second car also have a slightly rusted gas tank which I carefully refurbished. The previous owner improperly wrapped the trunk with aftermarket tar mats, and a LPG tank on top sometimes condense water when in heavy use, day by day moisture covered by tar mats seaps into gas tank mounting bracket. One day I was driving and sudden one mounting belt broken off... Afterwards I cut and reweled large portion of rear section. Dayum now do I hate rusts!

Since industrial cylinders often live on for decades, I think usually it is safe when properly installed and used, weak points more like be elsewhere like valve seating or pipeline. Very curious of OP's case 600thb tank whether LPG or CNG would be HUGE to fit in a small passenger car, I never once got more than 350baht refilling bill! And that would usually if not always be a cut-off, mechanical primary valve in between cylinder and EM valvebody. The cutoff worked for me everytime I remove a CNG/LPG tank from my car, like for trunk repair or something. 

Edited by Coremouse

1 hour ago, Coremouse said:

Well if I'm unlucky every car I driven here had a rusted gas tank... ???? Since fuel tanks mounted under belly any little scratch would quickly develops rust in rainy season.

First car I bought starts leaking fuel whenever filled more than 10 litres, since a tank cost 3000 baht I couldn't afford at time, I just epoxyed the thing and let it slowly leak as its wish. Luckily still got CNG and 10l gasoline is usually sufficient for commute...

My second car also have a slightly rusted gas tank which I carefully refurbished. The previous owner improperly wrapped the trunk with aftermarket tar mats, and a LPG tank on top sometimes condense water when in heavy use, day by day moisture covered by tar mats seaps into gas tank mounting bracket. One day I was driving and sudden one mounting belt broken off... Afterwards I cut and reweled large portion of rear section. Dayum now do I hate rusts!

Since industrial cylinders often live on for decades, I think usually it is safe when properly installed and used, weak points more like be elsewhere like valve seating or pipeline. Very curious of OP's case 600thb tank whether LPG or CNG would be HUGE to fit in a small passenger car, I never once got more than 350baht refilling bill! And that would usually if not always be a cut-off, mechanical primary valve in between cylinder and EM valvebody. The cutoff worked for me everytime I remove a CNG/LPG tank from my car, like for trunk repair or something. 

Don't think I believe you first para...........????

50 minutes ago, transam said:

Don't think I believe you first para...........????

I posted before... welding trunk in driveway under windy weather - super pita ????

1FTg9x.jpg
1FTyNR.jpg

1F7XJ1.jpg

As above all nicks if left untreated in Thai rainy season, will quickly develop into rust. Btw. though 25 yrs old this tank is still the best condition one come with car, far better than what coming with my leaking '01 Rolla and heavily rusted '04 Sunny. 

Dunno why no Thai shops selling POR-15 that would be very helpful extending gas tank life

Now the underpanel is purely holding by zipties ????
1FTDHJ.jpg

Edited by Coremouse

Think my Pontiac was 12 years old when I removed the gas tank, it was still in good condition, but alas the rest of the car wasn't. ????

I removed it to house a new twin exhaust system and fuel pumps etc. New 16 gallon tank went here.......????

627477939_Transboot..jpg.bcb9294b1fc6b710a2a6a966c31231ae.jpg

• Like 1