Thousands join Thai anti-government run, while rival camp pushes back

webfact

7 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

When reading those two references in the same sentence, it gave me the impression it could have been the Gordons Dry Gin riots.

As I have said and will continue to say, its snappy one liner comebacks like that that make this place an invaluable resource for the writer! Bravo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

If only there was a form of media that reported local news in English. 

Really? What about the four news outlets, including this one, I read every morning?.

Dont get me wrong dude, I could comment about these demonstrations like a lot of other folks, but would those would be UNIFORMED comments about it for the reasons I have heretofore set forth. There are a few subjects in this world that I am in fact, uniformed about, particle physics for example, so I dont comment on things I read about that. Thats why I like the analysis of the dudebeenhere30yearsandspeaksthai, he has a better idea of whats what,.

Just an observation

3 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If you say so :coffee1:

Submit to your sarcasm. There are provisions in the constitution and more amendments that are forth coming that will curtail the people’s rights to freedom of speech and expression. The reasons for the anti Prayut runs and oppositions fight to made those amendments. 

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Yesterday, the international media reported huge crowds at Thanathorn' rally....whilst much smaller groups had gathered for Prayuth....the Thai media has obviously been instructed how to report

Can't connect to BBC website this morning unless using VPN. Would this have something to do with international media reporting?

Does that not remind you of the major events of previous years, and more particularly those of 2010;
ten years already ...
  With other actors today; young people (and also less young); young people to whom previous governments have promised the moon and who are sellers at 7/11 with a bac +2 or even +4
Thaksin having been replaced by Thanathorn;
  the people of the young people who thirst for democracy in a country which has never known it.

It will be necessary that the people or rather the Thai bourgeoisie because it has so much more financial and political means, find the right exit by hoping that it does not lead to what France experienced from 1789 to 1793;

when I write "hoping that .."
I hope in fact that a head will fall, if possible not in a wicker basket.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

But most importantly - connect the dots. That's a universal skill. 

Well while you are connecting dots, Ill continue to seek out informed opinion and facts......

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

"rights" and "free speech" are a uniquely American concept. The EU does not have "free speeech"  for example.

You are wrong;
it is a British concept which these have exported to the USA .

We must read other newspapers than those "under orders" for example the excellent :

https://prachatai.com/english/node/8326?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+prachataienglish+(Prachatai+in+English)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand freedom of speech is enshrined in the constitution that guarantees liberties in expression of person and mass media (Part 7).

Cool. Tell me how the Thai constituional courts view that? What about conflict with other law, custom, legislation? Can the Thai government control ANY speech under that clause? What are the limits? What is that limit based on? Can I burn a Thai flag? Can I wear Nazi symbols? Can I burn an American flag? Can the news papers print anyhting? What about defamation laws, how do they fit it?

What procedures do the Courts use to rule on free speech issues and how do they enforce their judgements? Do they have Writs of Prohibition or Mandamus or their procedural equivalents? 

Educate me. I dont speak Thai as obviously you do, help me out then

27 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

you not wasting your time shopping at Villa. There are cheaper alternatives but you rich and afford. 

Great isnt it? Villa has the best tomahawks. Yu want a real good hunk of beef though, go to the Japanese market at IconSiam and grab like a Wagyu Prime Rib. They were on sale last week for like 7500 a kilo or something like that, it didnt matter, so I grabbed 2 kilos to stuff my face. Yum. Id ride over there today but the driver took the day off. So Ill just sit here and be educated by you about Freedom of Speech in Thailand while I wait for the maid to come.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

it is a British concept which these have exported to the USA

Naw dude, there isnt any free speech in Blighty, and it isnt in writing anyway. But you are right, The Poms gave us the idea...... but we perfected it. Sort of like how the French invented cuisine and McDonalds perfected it..... ????

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The event was held in line with people's rights and no laws were broken, a government spokeswoman told Reuters.

The government couldn't say otherwise, with an opposition walk in favour of the government up the road.

That was the best move they made... making Thanakorns run untouchable.

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Well while you are connecting dots, Ill continue to seek out informed opinion and facts......

You do that. Just don't assume that cos someone is not Thai or can't speak Thai well that they can't have an informed opinion on the state of things here politically. My missus is Thai and has very little idea as she has no interest in it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Naw dude, there isnt any free speech in Blighty, and it isnt in writing anyway. But you are right, The Poms gave us the idea...... but we perfected it. Sort of like how the French invented cuisine and McDonalds perfected it..... ????

If you are trying to be funny...for the last 6 pages or so...please note, that you failed!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

and McDonalds perfected it..... ????

If you say so  :cheesy:  

But in fact, it is quite possible that the cuisine was invented by the Chinese;

something brought back to us by Marco Polo like spagghetti a bolognese or fireworks.
but there, I'm getting lost :stoner:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Nick said:

If you are trying to be funny...for the last 6 pages or so...please note, that you failed!

He's not trying to be funny;

every morning he smokes his little herb-based stuff and it gives that kind of prose.

You should have participated in the preliminary posts of POTY 2019 ..
It was particularly interesting.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Hey, i can stand up in London and call QE2 whatever i want, call the religion what ever comes into my mind whilst wearing a Nazi flag ..... Try that here or even in certain parts of America......( Look what happened to John Lennon when he said they were more popular than JC)   and hey it's POHM, Prisoner Of Her Majesty and most of the British were never that....... As for McDonalds being confused as food .........Well, time you left the basement.......  it's the only food my dogs won't touch....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

What doesn't make any more sense? 

Its like in Starship Troopers: To fight the bug, you must understand the bug.

You have a Thai missus? Do you understand her? Not just what she says, but her weltanshauung? Be honest dude, every person I have ever met who has a long term Thai gf or wife sometimes looks at her and just says...wow, dude, you got wierd stuff in your brain. 

Even when you speak the language, you dont think like they do. Culturally and politically to us, they are on a different planet. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Hey, i can stand up in London and call QE2 whatever i want, call the religion what ever comes into my mind whilst wearing a Nazi flag

Yes, the Queen doesn't appear to mind, you could even creep into her bedroom at night for a bit of a chat and get away with it (eg. Mike Fagan) but 'hate speech' against women or non-whites will get you arrested (eg. Tommy Robinson) fairly quickly and possible jailed without trial for a significant time, or if you're a foreigner, banned from entering or transiting the country life (eg. Roosh V).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

He's not trying to be funny;

every morning he smokes his little herb-based stuff and it gives that kind of prose.

You should have participated in the preliminary posts of POTY 2019 ..
It was particularly interesting.

Wake and Bake!

Ya gonna miss me next week when I am in Cambo? Clean air, Angkor Wat, no computer...

I wouldnt be here all day if I wasnt stuck in here trying to save my lungs! Thai people: quit playing duelling parties here and clean the damn air!!!!!

Edited by Nyezhov