Majority of Thais strongly agree with plastic bag ban but nearly a fifth don't

webfact

Majority of Thais strongly agree with plastic bag ban but nearly a fifth don't

6pm.jpg

A poll has shown that most Thais agree with the single use plastic bag ban that came into many shops and convenience stores on January 1st. 

But they want to see eco-friendly alternatives supplied for them. 

However, around 18% thought it was either too soon or a complete waste of time.

The Nida poll asked 1,262 people over the phone and said their findings had an accuracy of 95%. It was carried out on January 7th and 8th a week after the ban came into place. 

A total of 57.69% of respondents said they strongly agreed with the ban though shops should provide alternatives for customers like cloth bags and paper carriers. 

23.1% were broadly in agreement though they wanted to see plastic bags available to carry some items. 

9.75% disagreed saying the government had acted too soon and they were inconvenienced by the adjustments they had to make. 

8.72 were even more vocal saying it was just not worth it and too much trouble. 

Komchadluek said the ban came in to help with lessening trash in Thailand and to help with global warming. 

Source: Komchadluek

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-13

In central Bangkok I am still struggling to see any real effect. I have been offered bags umpteen times in 7/11, seen people still using them for holding a coffee etc, in Foodland the plastic bags were still able to be purchased for 1THB (Sukhumvit 16) and the people in front of us used them. 

It is going to be real slow progress. 

• Like 1

How much does a plastic bag weigh in real terms? 

5 grams?

Just look at the amount of plastic packaging in any 7/11.

Everything is plastic from the bottles down to the condom wrappers.

PC gone crazy.

They should be focusing on the suppliers.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

How much does a plastic bag weigh in real terms? 

5 grams?

Just look at the amount of plastic packaging in any 7/11.

Everything is plastic from the bottles down to the condom wrappers.

PC gone crazy.

They should be focusing on the suppliers.

How much of it can and cannot be recycled though.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Well I can do my nose OK, but Im getting so fat its hard for me to get a good scrape down the trough so to speak, so yeah, it would be nice if they did that.

That's why the bum guns were invented.

6 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

That's why the bum guns were invented.

Yeah well Im an American and uncoordinated, so when I snaked that thing down under for the first time and ended up with a full frontal drinking fountain, I gave up.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah well Im an American and uncoordinated, so when I snaked that thing down under for the first time and ended up with a full frontal drinking fountain, I gave up.

It does take a bit of getting used to!

My wife was very good at explaining and demonstrating the process, not on a live 

example, I hasten to add!!

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

In central Bangkok I am still struggling to see any real effect. I have been offered bags umpteen times in 7/11, seen people still using them for holding a coffee etc, in Foodland the plastic bags were still able to be purchased for 1THB (Sukhumvit 16) and the people in front of us used them. 

That is probably because the people in BKK feel more self important than their rural cousins and HAVE to have plastic bags showing where they shopped.

57 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

If the 18% who oppose a plastic bag ban lived in the U.S. they’d probably be the same people who think “rolling coal” was a good idea. 

I had to look that up on Google.

I see quite a few up in Khampaeng Phet. They are usually on lowered 2 door pickups with the bed full of base speakers and Carlos Fandango wheels and tyres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqqZ28m8uCo

4 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Get away from the tourist areas and you'd see a difference. Big C, Lotus, 7-Eleven around me - no plastic bags in sight. People loading cars direct from goods in trolleys, loads of cloth bags, improvements...Thais, and me, taking to it like ducks to water. And I'm a rooster. 

Rooster

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Guitar God said:

Maybe if they use crappy reusable bags. I bought two reusable bags with handles close to ten years ago I. Europe. I brought them with and I keep one in each car. I’ll probably use them another ten years and then my kids will.  

We need to ban your car, which is causing more dangerous pollution than any bag ever has.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Would you like the shop staff to blow your nose and wipe your arrrrz for you as well?

Well, actually...????

The ban was a good thing and a step in the right direction, irrespective of how many people like/dislike it. 

I for one am positively surprised that the powers that be had the b a ll s to see it through. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 2