I'm not feeling the love anymore.

WineOh

Just now, Mitkof Island said:

And these Thais could out survive any foreigners if need be. I spent most of my life in the Alaskan wilderness . Curious how many of these TV moaners would last a day where i come from. Some of you guys really need to grow a pair. Stop moaning. There is likely a plane leaving on the hour. I suggest you book a ticket now. You won,t last much longer with your attitudes and the Thais are tired of it.

THIS is the comment of 2020. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

And these Thais could out survive any foreigners if need be. I spent most of my life in the Alaskan wilderness . Curious how many of these TV moaners would last a day where i come from. Some of you guys really need to grow a pair. Stop moaning. There is likely a plane leaving on the hour. I suggest you book a ticket now. You won,t last much longer with your attitudes and the Thais are tired of it.

Such baseless and generalising statement again, seems to be countless in this topic. How do you know if someone knows survival or not? Has a farming background or not?

What does complaining have to do with knowing certain survival or farming skills or not, wat does complaining have to do with getting along with Thai? Most Thais I know complain daily too, about the same topics (except the visa issue perhaps).

I think many of the complainers would last longer in TH than some who do not, as they are so incredible naive. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Good you stay away. The Thais savages might invite you over for dinner. I would not want to be on their menu if i were you.

I live here for 3 months every year all the Thais I know who live in the Uk (and that's a lot!) want to live / retire here even though some are very 'yellow'. 

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Such baseless and generalising statement again, seems to be countless in this topic. How do you know if someone knows survival or not? Has a farming background or not?
And what does complaining have to do with knowing those skills or not, wat does complaining have to do with getting along with Thai? Most Thais I know complain daily too, about the same topics (except the visa issue perhaps).

Dude you are generalizing too saying that all Thais complain, buy the latest Iphone and so on. Maybe the truth is in the middle? They like money like everyone but if they don't have it they know how to survive and make ends meet in a way or another?

2 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Dude you are generalizing too saying that all Thais complain, buy the latest Iphone and so on. Maybe the truth is in the middle? They like money like everyone but if they don't have it they know how to survive and make ends meet in a way or another?

I did not say all, I said the ones I know complain as much. They do, so the point I made is that everyone complains. To target foreigners in TH on that is nonsense.
In terms of the latest phones and cars? I am pretty much sure that applies to almost all of them, partly as of gaining Face in the social circles. 

The exception might be the elderly as I already wrote and a minority that doesn't care.
If they could afford them, they would get it (and even some who can not afford it take out loans for it).

That people appear to be OK with almost nothing, does not mean that they are happy or would keep living like that when they had better finances.

3 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

I think farang moaning is pretty much down the list of what Thai's are fed up with tbh. Assuming that any are aware of it - Yinn excepted of course. Yeah we should stop moaning about endemic corruption , the worlds most dangerous roads, price gouging , lying , toxic air , baht strength to name but 6. Mai pben rai , mai bpen rail...

Nonsense and if they are, it would be mostly about tourists. They deal with those much more often than with Expats / Retirees. 
The complaints made are fair as well, but if your perspective is that we should forget about real problems and issues,
and stay in the dinosaur era, I guess prayut his fanboys and girls will like you a lot indeed.

You must be very naive to not see how it is bad for Thais themselves too, which is kind of silly, as you do come from a rich country and most likely did enjoy good basis education at least. To then throw all that away and pretend Thailand to be all good, complaints to be wrong, well enough said I guess....

Edited by ChaiyaTH

10-years ago two farangs didn't want the other to see them going to their favorite "shop."  Farangs also don't like farangs to ruin their Thailand experience with the locals, which means going to 7-11.  10-years ago the food was served on some sketchy plates, and strange oils used.  The love was never really there, and it's always there.  It's YOU, possibly.  I wear a shirt that says, "I like beer, I'm a sexpat and I no know Thai language i  no have money."   Really, other people are the same, except in CM where they aren't as nice as before IMO (and it's probably ME).  Everywhere else, very nice.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

10-years ago two farangs didn't want the other to see them going to their favorite "shop."  Farangs also don't like farangs to ruin their Thailand experience with the locals, which means going to 7-11.  10-years ago the food was served on some sketchy plates, and strange oils used.  The love was never really there, and it's always there.  It's YOU, possibly.  I wear a shirt that says, "I like beer, I'm a sexpat and I no know Thai language i  no have money."   Really, other people are the same, except in CM where they aren't as nice as before IMO (and it's probably ME).  Everywhere else, very nice.  

Yeah I left Chiang Mai and rented out my house there because I couldn't stand the city anymore. It has grown too fast and too much in the last 4-5 years. Two times more expensive and more chaotic. No surprise the people there are tired and unfriendly now. 

3 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Yeah I left Chiang Mai and rented out my house there because I couldn't stand the city anymore. It has grown too fast and too much in the last 4-5 years. Two times more expensive and more chaotic. No surprise the people there are tired and unfriendly now. 

What is 2 times more expensive in Chiang Mai? Except for the bad air, it is one of the cheapest places to live and one of the most relaxed Thai people around, even today.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

And these Thais could out survive any foreigners if need be.

You make many assumptions,

My son has a rice farm and a chunk of jungle (gran lives there at the moment).

Food and shelter probably wouldn't be a problem for me come the apocalypse.

Not to mention I'm quite handy with guns (don't currently own) and swords (own several).

Unfortunately, like many old people I won't live long without daily medication.

When civilisations gone, I'm gone with it, and I'd be OK with that.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What is 2 times more expensive in Chiang Mai? Except for the bad air, it is one of the cheapest places to live and one of the most relaxed Thai people around, even today.

Not at all. Traffic is congested. Food is twice more expensive at the market and rents have gone up as well. The people are far from friendly compared to 2012 when I first arrived.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My condo rental was 5k/month in 2009, the same condo is still available for 5k/month in 2020.

(Emporium Residence, Santhitham road)

555 Have some LB friends that live there, I used to stay next block over---great lil food shop across the street from you..cheap food n friendly family-- doggie with sweater incld! love santitham!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Tenerife, Alicante and Valencia districts. Had rental car and drove around the island, and from village to village at mainland. 

My mom stayed in Albir, and she also registered the change as well back from many years absent from her reitirement. 

Beautiful. Yeah we went for the food and to get the wife a little experience of living in Europe. She was enchanted, everyone so kind to her, but these were Catalans not Spanish.

Anyway we'd best shut up or we'll get censured. Good luck mate.

Back to topic. For most people who desire all the comforts of home, with none of the attendant problems, with the best of Thailand without the worst, you're living an illusion. Thailand is not going to adjust for you. What is actually happening is Thailand is asserting itself after being trod underfoot since WW2 until 1980. It's building it's own identity and its face is not white.

However unfair you think that is, it's plainly one of your business.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Did you ever consider it is the tourist slum you are hanging in and that the Thais are sick and tired of drunk, obnoxious, rude, dirty, and dressed like they crawled out of a dumpster foreigners?

So you have been to Pattaya then

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's yer Liverpool T-shirt causing the problems.

Try it all again wearing a Man-U shirt, you'll get plenty of smiles.

Don't confuse hysterical laughter with smiles

15 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Alaskan wilderness..... i would cry!

I watched that Alaskan men (or something) programme on discovery it was harsh and people were just surviving but i suppose you get great tax incentives or benefits paid to live there

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not necessarily true, the stick hut can be built on family land for nothing, and you can live by farming, hunting and gathering, the way they always did in the past. It might not be a great life, but people have lived that way for thousands of years. My girlfriend was brought up to live that life by her parents until she was a teenager, and she can slip right back into hunting and gathering when she's back in the jungle.

Here is something odd I will share will you.

In my wife's village, I never see any birds

She told me the villagers have killed and eaten them all.

Same with rice rats

BIL went out all night and only got 1.

Farming in some areas is not as bountiful as it use to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Same with rice rats

Been going on for ever with Isaan folk - be careful they don't eat you when your back's turned. 

https://www.greenprophet.com/2011/06/hunting-thai-food-israe/

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Same with rice rats

My girlfriends family started a rat farm. Things are absolutely terrifying. True story