The Nation Is Watching

samtam

I just noticed a new feature on The Nation newspaper's website. When you post they show your IP address. I don't know whether this is part of the control of information by the military junta, but be aware that you may be monitored in what you are saying.....and they know who you are.

I presume no such monitoring on TV?

I just noticed a new feature on The Nation newspaper's website. When you post they show your IP address. I don't know whether this is part of the control of information by the military junta, but be aware that you may be monitored in what you are saying.....and they know who you are.

I presume no such monitoring on TV?

Mods and admins can see IPs on all forum software and a foolish one with no thought for their guest's security can enable it to be public. This is obviously what happened at The Nation.

It always surprised me how inflamatory some of the comments were on The Nation comments/responses by readers, including mentioning the unmentionable, because I presume people thought that they could hide behind an anonymous nickname; maybe this tactic is to discourage such discussion, (of controversial issues, some of which are illegal in this country anyway).

Posting of ip adresses to the public is a security issue.

I would even go so far as to say it's hampering free speech.

Not all commentators are willing to disclose their identity.

some might even have legitimate fears of reprisals.

That the Nation would do this, just shows what a "soap bubble democracy" this is.

About ip adresses in general, almost all websites (Including TV) has full records of all the posters ip adresses.

It is NOT to be shown to the public.

Edited by sabajja

Not all commentators are willing to disclose their identity.

some might even have legitimate fears of reprisals.

That the Nation would do this, just shows what a "soap bubble democracy" this is.

About ip adresses in general, almost all websites (Including TV) has full records of all the posters ip adresses.

It is NOT to be shown to the public.

This, again, is a warning to consider very well what you are doing or intend to do in the WWW.

TV, I think, must have a hugh amount of statistics of who is surfing and where in the Forum. The amount of questions from TV to place a cookie is overwhelming since I instructed my computer to ask permission for every cookie as I am getting afraid for overweight. However I am not afraid for the intentions of TV.

The same I signalized months ago about the Thai “cyberinspektor” of whom intentions I am very in doubt. Although their intention to place cookies was quite harmless I think when one thinks of the lists with IP-addresses they for sure are producing concerning who is serving where and when the “dangerous” sites!

Somewhere in TV a poster adviced to use fake mail-addresses when using Forums or other sites when you do not want to be recognized because afterwards there is a big risk of being Googled on your mail-address. And right so!! Never realized!

A week or so ago an ad placed in a Thai ad-site (no, not very private, only for property-demand!) using a fake mail-address resulted in a google on the NOT in the ad mentioned mail-address that the ad AND my, for internal use mentioned, present home-address appeared!

Take care with what you are doing; you are less anonymous than you might think you are!

How is providing information hampering free speech? Free speech is hampered when you can get arrested for expressing your opinion - as is the case in many areas of Thai law.

If you are against that, blame the Thai law.

It's a bit of a drastic measure to post IP addresses, but given the problems that they had, understandable. It just makes everyone aware of a basic fact: You are not anonymous on the internet - far from it, you are actually leaving a perfect paper trail with anything you do. Law enforcement can almost always trace you if they really want to.

If you truly want privacy, use one of the programs or proxy services that automatically provide it - something the fake Taksin supporters apparently didn't think of :o

How is providing information hampering free speech? Free speech is hampered when you can get arrested for expressing your opinion - as is the case in many areas of Thai law.

If the fear of reprisals, would stop only one poster from expressing his view, free speech has already been compromised.

And yes, i'm fully aware that it is not a luxury we have here in los.

Edited by sabajja

If the fear of reprisals, would stop only one poster from expressing his view, free speech has already been compromised.

aren't most internet services these days use dynamic addresses? Everytime you reboot your router or the connection is dropped and reconnects then you get a new 'external' IP address. If a person goes to a internet cafe they are using their dynamic addresses and likewise if you use a WiFi network. An IP address is hardly a street address.

Dynamic only means "range".

The ip adresses will all originate from the same isp anyway.

If the isp check their logs, you will be identified if asked by an authority.

You could offcourse spoof your ip, but that's another issue.

Dynamic only means "range".

The ip adresses will all originate from the same isp anyway.

If the isp check their logs, you will be identified if asked by an authority.

You could offcourse spoof your ip, but that's another issue.

sure if the logs are available they could match a time to an allocated external IP address. No argument there but that in theory should only be for a criminal investigation. Is they Nation or readers of the nation going to have access to the logs of your ISP?

If people post from open Wifi networks or intenet cafes there is slight tracing ability as well as spoofing or just using an anonymous proxy which are all over the place now.