Songkran Is Comming

onzestan

songkran is comming  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Living not far from Pattaya, I avoid it at any cost

20 years ago my first experience with songkran was in Chiang Mai, and I liked it mainly because it was mostly the Thais that were celebrating poring water over my shoulder and there was a time limit fixed at 5 p.m.

However it has become something completely different here in Pattaya. It's now a 7 days/7 nights party for the farangs and there's no limit to what they are prepared to do under the influence.

So I vote hate it.

Cheers

Onzestan

Don't really enjoy it any more. After the first day of getting drenched, it starts to piss me off somewhat. Especially anywhere near the tourist areas.

Still, its a good time to have a couple of days shopping in Bangkok and be able to drive along deserted streets... :o

I never play Songkran in a big city like Pattaya or Chaing Mai . So i don't about how people play Songkran there. it's not too bad for me. I'm going to visit my family in Thailand. i'm gonna play the frist Songkran in BKK ....hahaha :o

I don't hate it ....but I don't like it so much.

Ann Oz

I do what I can to avoid it, so it must be that I dislike it.

I like the fact that they feel like a party now and then, Thailand is the teenager of Asia, so it fits that they like a water fight. I just wish it would start and end as scheduled. It seems to go on forever. Usually thats the time I have to do some banking or buy some car parts. Fairly inconveinient for getting stuff done.

I don't participate but I do enjoy seeing all those that are having a good time. Were I live it is the kids that have the best time and that I cannot dislike but getting wet on the way to the bank/dinner/market is annoying. My wife thinks so too, but I guess we will have to cme out of shell soon for the benefit of our kids.

I love it! Could be because it only lasts 2 days here in HH. On the first day I take my little boy onto the street to shoot his water pistol at passers by (totally Thai area, no other farang), then in the afternoon we go to the beach & brave the other revellers, ending up soaked before we even get there. The second day, there's still some water, but not as bad & then the 3rd day, it's all back to normal. Littl'un is already eyeing up the water pistols in the shops. :o

Only ever experienced it in Pattaya and I have to say I absolutley hate it these days.

It was always the one day, the 19th, plus a little bit on the preceding couple of days but tolerable even when trying to live a normal working existence. The big day was a blast, we used to start with the respectful bit and then degenerate from there but come 6 pm it was all over. Go home, shower and change and out to a restaurant for a nice meal and a few glasses (a few? :o ) of wine.

Nowadays, even if I was still in Thailand permanent, I'd certainly get out of Pattaya and probably out of Thailand. I'd still like the main day but just couldn't stand the preceding week, which is what it is these days, where you can't venture out in the town without waterproofing your wallet and phone and having a change of clothes strategically stashed.

Boring old git? No, I don't decry others their fun but just choose not to join in.

I actually like Songkran in Thai areas, but absolutely detest being not sprayed, but accosted by drunken farang with no understanding of what the whole celebration is about.

This year ill be staying in Bangkok and doing the normal thing of driving my truck down the road with a couple bins of iced water in the back. My window will be closed,a dn the door FIRMLY locked!

It does amuse me if i happen to be going somewhere on some business of whatever and im driving the car rather than the truck. People stop you and actually expect you to open your window for them to soak you AND your car interior!

I really dont like the flour smearing and throwing though.

All in all, the best thing about Songkran to me is the lack of traffic on Bangkok streets, but thats negated somewhat by the need to be extra vigilant on the lookout for drunken fools heading towards you at breakneck speeds.

My fave holiday of the year!

since I have lived here I try to go to a new place every year

sadly this year I will be in the USA ... but I am hoping the Thai Temple in Dallas will have something going on!

No, I don't decry others their fun but just choose not to join in.

I don't care for Songkran at all but I'd be just fine with it if one could opt not to participate as a target. Since that isn't possible, I simply opt not to be in Thailand for the duration. People can rationalize all they want but there is never any occasion that excuses throwing a bucket of ice water at a motorbike rider on a highway.

I don't participate but I do enjoy seeing all those that are having a good time. Were I live it is the kids that have the best time and that I cannot dislike but getting wet on the way to the bank/dinner/market is annoying. My wife thinks so too, but I guess we will have to come out of shell soon for the benefit of our kids.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Have a Splashing time, I will :o

"Happy Thai New Year" to one and all :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. and voted Yes, rove it :D

large.jpg

I think it's a blast.

Every year I was in Pattaya I always went out for the Songkhran water fights, good fun, but you need to be prepared to get soaked time and time again all week, if not, stay at home.

I would do Naklua with some Thai guys at the Motorcycle shop, always a big party, on the 18th, then the 19th in Pattaya usually just find a bar that has water.

I know many Farang don't like it and I have seen a lot of Farangs getting violent with other people cos they got soaked, they should stay at home.

I always wanted to hire one of the big water trucks and soak everything and everyone, the Arab guys always seem to hire them......those trucks have some serious fire power....

Unfortunately, I will miss this years as I'm working away from Thailand.

Have a good one. :o

Edited by Creeper

I enjoyed Sonkran 2005 up near the old airport. When I had to venture out to Big C Chaeng Watanna I made sure that it was shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops only. NO MOBILE PHONE and cash in a zippy bag. Local kids were charming.... they just poured the water gently... but on the main road they were viscious...until I made my way back on foot and only got the flour smearing from almost all of them... it seemed like a respect thing.... got you once, now you're OK....

Missing it this year... I arrive on May 4th but HAVE A GOOD TIME and STAY SAFE!!

I've enjoyed it in the past when living in a more suburban environment- there it is more playful and somehow more respectful- if you are positioned in a way that indicates you want to participate, then you do; if not, people don't generally try to chase you down or gang up on you.

In the big cities, in some areas anyway, it seems to have become just an excuse to raise mayhem and is definitely more malicious and edgy. I avoid it there, especially the crowded zones.

Just seeing the photos above of the kids on motorbikes during this type of festival makes me cringe. Use of motorbikes should be outlawed country-wide during the festival, as many of the participants apparently either have no brains or no morals about tossing powder, water, or ice on motorbikes going at high speed.

OK Thanks to all of you, and especially for the nice pictures.

Please note that I also enjoy seeing children have fun with a little

harmless water bashing, and if it were only 2 days like in Hua Hin I'm sure

I wouldn't mind so much, but as one of you earlier mentioned I draw the line at throwing

a bucket full of ice water and with the ice cubes in it, at someone passing on a motorbike.

Happened to me also.

Anyway thanks again

Cheers, and to those that like it : Have fun :o