music streaming

elgenon

For 2020 I will try to pull myself kicking and streaming into a bit of the tech world with TV streaming and music streaming. I have an iPhone 8 but maybe Spotify is the music streamer to go with? Any help or constructive opinions?

Thanks men and women, boys and girls.

4 hours ago, elgenon said:

but maybe Spotify

I've got Spotify Premium - Bht139 /month charged through AIS

Huuuuuuuge selection of music, works fine across all my platforms PC/laptops (Linux/Win10) mobile (Android) and my newest purchase an Amazon Echo Dot.

Very happy with Spotify.

21 hours ago, Stocky said:

I've got Spotify Premium - Bht139 /month charged through AIS

Huuuuuuuge selection of music, works fine across all my platforms PC/laptops (Linux/Win10) mobile (Android) and my newest purchase an Amazon Echo Dot.

Very happy with Spotify.

The Thai Spotify subscription price thru AIS is considerably better than the general public Spotify subscription price in the U.S., which is $9.99 a month for their regular premium plan.  But as far as I can tell, the music library is either the same or pretty much the same as outside Thailand.

I also play my own MP3s, as well as my Spotify Premium and free Pandora music, thru my Echo Dots.

Spotify is worth the 140 baht a month. Less than 5 baht a day. No adds, you can download and plenty of content. I like the oldies and have tons of tunes from the 70's and 80's. Then Spotify makes play lists for you based on your taste. Really a good service.   

Sorry for the font style, thank TV, it does this about once a week.

Edited by Jai Dee
Corrected strikethrough font

On 1/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, Gweiloman said:

I have Spotify free. Streams music but you can’t specify artist/song etc. Not a problem for me as I can always YouTube if I want a specific song. 

I used to download songs from Youtube all the time but my Huawei will just not do it, all my other smartphones in the past managed to do it.

Free Spotify is great, the odd advert which is no problem but contrary to someone’s comment you can stream or download anything you like. You can save virtually anything you like even on the day of release. I have a library of over 1600 of my favourites.

Thanks for all the great replies. No jerks on this thread!

Too bad there isn't the equivalent of a VPN for music streaming on a phone. Then I could get the Thai price in the States. 5555

Does anyone know if Dtac has a plan similar to the AIS that was mentioned?

I think maybe I will try a free one then maybe switch to or add a pay.

Do they use a lot of data? Is that a weird question?

7 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Yes. Spotify Premium in Thailand is chargeable with both AIS & DTAC same price Bht139.

Edited by Stocky

19 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

iHeartRadio is another.

I think that requires a U.S. IP address in order to access its U.S. radio station content....or similar for the other supported countries and their IP addresses.

iHeartRadio is available to anyone in the United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand. To listen to iHeartRadio in the United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand visit iHeart.com or download one of our free iHeartRadio apps.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Too bad there isn't the equivalent of a VPN for music streaming on a phone. Then I could get the Thai price in the States.

There is... You just sign up for a VPN service (free or paid) that has a TH server location, then install their mobile app on your Android or IPhone, and connect to the TH server. Then the phone will think you're in TH...

To accomplish that, you may also have to fiddle some with your phone's location services settings, and possibly use an app like FakeGPS that, apart from the VPN, allows you to set a custom GPS location on your mobile device. The reason being, phones can get location info from more than just your IP address, but also from their GPS and wifi network systems.

But when it comes to paying/subscribing for the music service, you MAY have to do that with a Thai bank account/card. I'm not sure if you could subscribe to the TH version of Spotify and then try to pay for it with a U.S. bank account/card.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

I think maybe I will try a free one then maybe switch to or add a pay.

Do they use a lot of data? Is that a weird question?

I believe I've seen similarly priced Spotify offers from DTAC in the past... Should check with the DTAC website and log in there if you have a DTAC SIM/account. Or go to the Spotify website and look to sign up when you're using a regular Thai IP address, and it should show you the local rates and plan options.

The Spotify app allows you some settings for how much data/how high the streaming audio rates used are. The higher the audio quality, the more data gets used. Of course, you can do the whole thing via a house wifi connection where data shouldn't matter so much. But if you're using phone mobile data, then yes, it would matter more.

But if you're playing Spotify only thru a mobile device, the audio quality/data rate setting can be relatively low anyway, since a phone doesn't exactly have hifi speaker quality generally speaking.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:05 PM, Gweiloman said:

I have Spotify free. Streams music but you can’t specify artist/song etc. Not a problem for me as I can always YouTube if I want a specific song. 

So you like listening to repetitive advertising and having your music chosen for you. Like, say, the radio.

Edited by metempsychotic

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There is... You just sign up for a VPN service (free or paid) that has a TH server location, then install their mobile app on your Android or IPhone, and connect to the TH server. Then the phone will think you're in TH...

To accomplish that, you may also have to fiddle some with your phone's location services settings, and possibly use an app like FakeGPS that, apart from the VPN, allows you to set a custom GPS location on your mobile device. The reason being, phones can get location info from more than just your IP address, but also from their GPS and wifi network systems.

But when it comes to paying/subscribing for the music service, you MAY have to do that with a Thai bank account/card. I'm not sure if you could subscribe to the TH version of Spotify and then try to pay for it with a U.S. bank account/card.

It doesnt matter where you are once you are a member.

I signed up in philipines, similar to thai pricing using thai paypal as payment source.

Never been anywhere my spotify hasnt worked.

12 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

It doesnt matter where you are once you are a member.

I signed up in philipines, similar to thai pricing using thai paypal as payment source.

Never been anywhere my spotify hasnt worked.

Yes, but the poster's question I was responding to was about SIGNING UP for the service while in the U.S., but trying to do it with the Thai-based lower price compared to the regular U.S. subscription price.

It wasn't a question about whether he could play Spotify in different countries once he had already subscribed.

But you are correct about the playing part - once you have a paid subscription from any Spotify-eligible country, you can use that subscription pretty much wherever you may go and not need to worry about country IP address issues.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK