Water Throwing Has Started

Ajarn

I got LOTS of water thrown on me today, while heading to Chiang Dao. Seems like kids with nothing better to do...

Great - just what I need to top of my day, ride my bike home and get wiped out by a bucket of water :o

Normally the kids in my village area are pretty polite so maybe it is just a localised thing around your way

CB

I got LOTS of water thrown on me today, while heading to Chiang Dao. Seems like kids with nothing better to do...

Great - just what I need to top of my day, ride my bike home and get wiped out by a bucket of water :o

Normally the kids in my village area are pretty polite so maybe it is just a localised thing around your way

CB

I don't consider kids tossing water to be impolite. :D

I have slight problems with the kids of all ages who think it is fun / polite to throw buckets of, what smelled like septic-tank water, containing kilo blocks of ice at me whether, especially if I am currently I riding a motorcycle. A charge of attempted GBH would seem to be more apt than a smile and return to be attacked again.

Having written that, most kids seem hapy to accept a request NOT to soak you if you are obviously dressed for work or otherwise not taking part. Those I would happily garotte are the, primarily Farang, idiots who regard a well dressed man or lady as a primary target. I have had a very expensive suit ruined by such, not to mention the loss of some very important paperwork at that time as my briefcase was filled with revoltingly dirty gutter water.

Maybe the declaration of Songkran NOT starting on the 1st hasn't reached the sticks yet :o But I have to agree about the foul water used by some, it just aint cricket!! :D

Roll on the 12th when we can get drenched by good old klong nam.

So far I have just seen a steady growth of the groups of teenagers drinking Sangsom and swimming in the moat. If it starts early I an placing my bet on this Friday. Soon the groups are going to get big enough to "fight" each other, and then have the startling realization of "Hey why not get EVERYONE wet?!" While I do LOVE the holiday, I won't be out joining anyone until a good majority of the people are out, if this happens on an official date or before, we shall see.

As crowboy stated in the other thread, have fun, be safe, and be respectful. It is still a possibility to be respectful while hurling a bucket of nasty brown moat water :o

Does anyone know where I can buy a "Super Soaker" type water rifle, with sling, that I can hang on my back while riding the Honda Dream 100 beater (I parked the "nice" bike a few days ago)? I don't imagine it will be a deterrent, but it will be lovely to dismount, take careful aim, and hose the miscreants/celebrants from extended range...

Edited by mcgriffith

Does anyone know where I can buy a "Super Soaker" type water rifle, with sling, that I can hang on my back while riding the Honda Dream 100 beater (I parked the "nice" bike a few days ago)? I don't imagine it will be a deterrent, but it will be lovely to dismount, take careful aim, and hose the miscreants/celebrants from extended range...

Tesco Lotus has a fairly large supply this year. Never liked buying them near the moat as half of them never fired right. This year... if bought at Tesco and they dont work you can get your money back. 195 baht for the super soaker I want.. though I think I saw a sling.. I not sure....

Tesco Lotus has a fairly large supply this year. Never liked buying them near the moat as half of them never fired right. This year... if bought at Tesco and they dont work you can get your money back. 195 baht for the super soaker I want.. though I think I saw a sling.. I not sure....

Thanks for that. I'll be at Tesco Lotus TOMORROW to buy the biggest bad ass water rifle. Sling issue no problem; will just ask Crow Boy to supply me with the rice field rat tails that he DID NOT fry up as beverage accompaniments. I will simply braid these up into a suitable sling... :o

Sling issue no problem; will just ask Crow Boy to supply me with the rice field rat tails that he DID NOT fry up as beverage accompaniments.

To late for that. They have already been boned and stuffed and will be served at the next TV get together.

> BTW...just a quick question... iam arriving the 15/4 in the evening ( 20.30) are they still throwing

> water at that time??

No. It winds down when the sun goes down. Also with 15 being already the third/fourth day of major celebrations, you can be reasonably sure to stay dry. Still, in areas with tourists all bets are off, so you'd still do well to just take a meter taxi or airport taxi into town and lock the doors. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks for that. I'll be at Tesco Lotus TOMORROW to buy the biggest bad ass water rifle. Sling issue no problem; will just ask Crow Boy to supply me with the rice field rat tails that he DID NOT fry up as beverage accompaniments. I will simply braid these up into a suitable sling... :o

Wararot markets are good - cheaper than "Load up" or "Carre Four times the price" They will usually have a barrel of water to do a test fill and squirt.

Sorry to say but I haven't been able to find any of the rice rats in my local market - lots of the normal sewer ones but suggest (strongly) you avoid eathing them :D

When we pursuade p1p to come out of retirement and start up a creole restaurant he can include them under the section "southern style road kill" :D Served up with blackeyed peas and a mess of grits it will be the biggest thing to hit Chiang Mai.

CB

When we pursuade p1p to come out of retirement and start up a creole restaurant he can include them under the section "southern style road kill" :o Served up with blackeyed peas and a mess of grits it will be the biggest thing to hit Chiang Mai.

I can hear the projectile vomiting from here.

Seriously though, I would be interested in a guaranteed supply of good paddy rats. It would set the restaurant apart from anywhere else on the planet.

Can just see the menu:

Ratty Specials

Haunch of rat in wild mushroom sour curry sauce.

Rat ham on tostini with pink rats livers.

Rat chippolatini with a spiced olive and dried tomato relish.

When we pursuade p1p to come out of retirement and start up a creole restaurant he can include them under the section "southern style road kill" :o Served up with blackeyed peas and a mess of grits it will be the biggest thing to hit Chiang Mai.

I can hear the projectile vomiting from here.

Seriously though, I would be interested in a guaranteed supply of good paddy rats. It would set the restaurant apart from anywhere else on the planet.

Can just see the menu:

Ratty Specials

Haunch of rat in wild mushroom sour curry sauce.

Rat ham on tostini with pink rats livers.

Rat chippolatini with a spiced olive and dried tomato relish.

I am trying to find the photos from Cambodia with the rat menu - written in Khmer of course but if you can read Thia you can figure it out.

With the number of rice farms around and the fact it is often sold in the village markets I doubt if you would have much of a problem getting a steady supply. I can see the Lonely Planet entry under the food section for "exotic foods" there could be Khoa soi nu (nu=rat) instead of plain old soi nu, rat tail pie, pad thai nu sod (fresh rat), and if for desert - the perenial favourite Nughat

:D

CB

I'll be at Tesco Lotus TOMORROW to buy the biggest bad ass water rifle.

DONT do that. :o

Proper water guns are officially banned (including the tube guns) so the absolute LAST place you want to go for that is mainstream stores. You can of course go there to stock up on barrels & buckets and rope and flip flops and jasmine water and other things you might need, but avoid these stores for actual weaponry. Indeed go to Warorot market at some of the shops, or just all along the areas where the main battle rages, i.e. Thapae Gate, along the moat, etc.

To clarify, a picture.

post-6796-1175671746_thumb.jpg

Green = ROCKS

Red = SUCKS

The basic tube works very well IF you have a large enogh water supply nearby, i.e. from a truck with a barrel, or at a shop/bar/place with a water supply. When just walking around though the reloading becomes difficult, so then the water guns (of the type indicated) would be better. For good variation in battle styles you of course need both.

Take good care of your weapon though, an overly wild, blurred wank on the pump has broken many a good gun. Pump with long, firm but controlled strokes or you WILL break your gun. The other thing where you have to be careful is lowering large blocks of ice in plastic barrels. You have to lower these down VERY carefully or you will tear the side of the barrel. Best would be to use metal oil drums of course.

Edited by chanchao

I am trying to find the photos from Cambodia with the rat menu - written in Khmer of course but if you can read Thia you can figure it out.

With the number of rice farms around and the fact it is often sold in the village markets I doubt if you would have much of a problem getting a steady supply. I can see the Lonely Planet entry under the food section for "exotic foods" there could be Khoa soi nu (nu=rat) instead of plain old soi nu, rat tail pie, pad thai nu sod (fresh rat), and if for desert - the perenial favourite Nughat

:o

CB

JFYI Paddy rat in Thai is referred to as Nu pook or Nu Naa. If you are offered Nu Ban, it is the non desirable, unhealthy variety of sewer or house rat.

Seriously though, I would be interested in a guaranteed supply of good paddy rats. It would set the restaurant apart from anywhere else on the planet. Can just see the menu:

There's no need to go all the way to Cambodia.. It's plenty common in Thailand.

Following pictures were taken across the road from P1p's former establishment. :o

Link is here!