Thai Civilized party leader proposes legal brothels and adult shops to reduce rape

webfact

19 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Legalize prostitution (which for now, does not exist in Thailand...wink wink...), tax it, organize the sex- workers, protect them AND the customers.

Just act like a normal, civilized country!

But we all know, it will not happen!

A) because the ruling class is so far out of touch with everyday life, they don't even acknowledge, there might be a problem

B) the police can not make a cut of the "illegal" establishments

Indeed. Civilized like Germany and The Netherlands. But not civilized like Sweden or France which have tightened the illegalization and criminaliztion of prostitution.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Sexworkers work for their money. So do all workers, including sexworkers' customers. If you call sexwork prostitution then you might as well call all labour prostitution, and you might as well call the West a big brothel. 

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but I don't think so...

But the very definition of a prostitute is "the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.". 

That's what sex workers do - they are prostitutes.

Reaching much?

16 hours ago, DLock said:

How does legitimizing an industry that already exists and defines Thailand, reduce rape?

Has he actually done research to realize Thailand IS a giant brothel.

It couldn't become more brothelized...and yet rape happens.

Explain that one, Mong.

He's done more research than you judging by your silly bar stool bridgers comment about Thailand!

Another farang who thinks Nana, Cowboy and Walking street are Thailand!

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Has anybody seen any long-term global research findings indication that easy availability of sex toys reduces rape?

Well, in another story a bit of aluminium pipe used as a sex toy has certainly stopped one Thai from becoming an offender.  

7 minutes ago, DLock said:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but I don't think so...

But the very definition of a prostitute is "the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment.". 

That's what sex workers do - they are prostitutes.

Reaching much?

So what? 

It's their job, no reason to make it illegal (the label doesn't matter) 

17 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

The problem is the brothels aren't free, therefore it will not solve the problem of rape. Thailand is already a brothel.

No one has any right to tell anyone what to do with their own bodies, as long as it's done by consenting adults, and no one is forced to do anything against their will, also there must never be any involvement with underage sex.

24 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Quite frankly, that's true of just about every country. Even Muslim ones. Some countries are more conspicuous that others. Some hide it away, others aren't so hypocritical.

Countries dominated by feminists and their agendas such as Sweden and France have started new campaigns to try to eradicate it.

It isn't called the world's oldest profession for nothing! Always been there, always will. 

Another example is Taiwan, I checked into a 4 star business hotel in Taipei, nice modern lobby etc..

I went to the room, 3 minutes later a lady called my room and said 'I'll send a girl to your room now'.

I said NO, she insisted.

I quickly went back to the lobby and had to do some fast talking with strong insistance that I did not want girls sent to my room.

Part of the duty managers appraoch was 'but it's standard in hotels across the world'.

They agreed to not send more girls to my room unannounced, but they did call my room every day and ask if I wanted a girl to come to my room. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

He's done more research than you judging by your silly bar stool bridgers comment about Thailand!

Another farang who thinks Nana, Cowboy and Walking street are Thailand!

In what way has he done more research?

How will legalizing an industry that already exists and defines Thailand, help stop rape?

Just for the record, I don't drink or hang out in bars....and even if I did, that would probably be research than Mong-boy.

Help me understand why you think I'm wrong?

28 minutes ago, micmichd said:

So what? 

It's their job, no reason to make it illegal (the label doesn't matter) 

I agree, I could care less is sex workers/prostitutes are legal or illegal....it's not something I have any interest in.

Most the arguments on this thread put forth are generally weak, poorly thought through and lacking in any logic....but I can understand why.

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think they're all of Thailand.

But they are a reflection of Thai culture as a whole, that you can easily find in any street or village in Thailand.

I don't know of any sex for sale places in my village/town, and I have been here almost 14 years.

I am not saying there isn't any, but it certainly is not advertised, and If there was any karaoke going on I would have heard it by now.

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Legal could mean more health checks, age checks, increased tax revenue, fewer ripoffs, police still get envelopes deciding who gets a license, set fees, no runners. Rape is power trip? For bullies. What about two kids drunk. They agree. But wait! She can't agree when drunk because she doesn't know what she is doing. But he, also drunk, knows exactly what he's doing. Now I'm confused. Aren't males and females equal? 

That's funny. I met this girl when I was young, we were both horny and wanted sex. Now the girl suffered from vegetative dystony, and she drank it away. She knew exactly was she was doing, and it worked out fine. She even stopped drinking, so in fact she was cured. 

And now some women in the West would like to call this "rape"?

Does this person have educated advisors, or persons to vet the press releases, and information about to be given at press conferences? It appears not.

He is conflating two entirely separate and distinct issues.

Procreation has nothing to do with rape, as previously stated.

Rapists would not generally attend a brothel to pay for sex with a compliant individual, that does not mean that sex workers are not raped in the course of their employment, they too frequently are.

Rape is about power OVER another individual part of the that power is about instilling fear through threats of harm.

This fear is also part of the climatic experience for the rapist, and often without that component the rapist is unable to achieve their planned end.

Legalising brothels is a civilised matter and takes away some of the criminal elements around the management of establishments, gives legitimacy for the workers, assists to protect workers in the chosen profession.

Allows taxes to be collected from businesses and individuals.

Gives opportunities for health promotion, reduction of sexually transmissible infections, drug use. Possibly could also impact of the trafficking of workers.

Though I don't agree with Thailand pretending that prostitution is illegal , or that adult shops would be corrupting ,

I think permitting brothels or adult shops would have little bearing on rape and rapists , who would probably never go to a prostitute .

The official illegality of prostitution does give law enforcement the ability to control the recruitment of under age girls and boys 

and trafficking of foreign workers .

19 hours ago, Fred white said:

Rape has nothing to do with procreation it's about power and forcing a person to submit

It's possibly a justification that might help the legalization. Don't always take things literally. Prostitution should be legal everywhere as long as all the workers freely choose to do it. Many women , and probably men, don't understand that a woman would choose the option. But why not allow women and men to have the option instead of limiting their freedom to choose? 

Maybe rape usually has to do with power, but unwanted advances etc could have to do with limited opportunities.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Does this person have educated advisors, or persons to vet the press releases, and information about to be given at press conferences? It appears not.

He is conflating two entirely separate and distinct issues.

Procreation has nothing to do with rape, as previously stated.

Rapists would not generally attend a brothel to pay for sex with a compliant individual, that does not mean that sex workers are not raped in the course of their employment, they too frequently are.

Rape is about power OVER another individual part of the that power is about instilling fear through threats of harm.

This fear is also part of the climatic experience for the rapist, and often without that component the rapist is unable to achieve their planned end.

Legalising brothels is a civilised matter and takes away some of the criminal elements around the management of establishments, gives legitimacy for the workers, assists to protect workers in the chosen profession.

Allows taxes to be collected from businesses and individuals.

Gives opportunities for health promotion, reduction of sexually transmissible infections, drug use. Possibly could also impact of the trafficking of workers.

http://www.empowerfoundation.org/barcando_en.html 

This could be a model for times to come. 

I,am sure the karoke bar in cm is owned by senior police and a few others.they are many in every town who own these places.this has gone on for many years making it legal would be a step in the right direction.somehow I don,t see it will ever become legal as the powers to be don,t want this to happen

Section 4.  In this Act,

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner 

There is a "up op nuat" tax in Thailand for legal soapy massage

Edited by Alex2554

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm calling BS on that. Even if she was not paid, it had to be consensual.

I can well understand how you think this story’s utter BS, but google “bail canberra man tricked prostitute into sex”.

Quotes from the Canberra Times article - 

“The envelope, however, was empty, save for a card bearing a white rose.The woman said she felt internally violated upon realising the deception, and police charged Livas.”

“Justice Hilary Penfold sentenced him to eight months imprisonment earlier this year, and he has spent three months behind bars so far.”

He appealed the sentence, can’t find a reference to the outcome of that.

Maybe in the past, police didn’t treat rape allegations seriously enough, but this astonishing story shows how far the pendulum has swung, and how biased against men the law now is. Can you see any difference between this case and the old joke I told in my post? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alex2554 said:

Section 4.  In this Act,

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner 

Taking into account that most Thai ladies prefer a permanent reliable boyfriend to a butterfly, the "promiscuous manner" is not very good for a definition. Go to any Western disco, and you'll find all kinds of women dancing around "in a promiscuous manner"