“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

4 hours ago, mauroest said:

if your main business is with English speaking people, then learn English !
Go to touristic cities in Croatia. A single waiter, an hotel receptionist, at B&B can speak four languages German, Croatian, Italian, English and in Dubrovnik Russian too.  It's a way to grow up your business

Then it would make more sense for the Thais to learn Chinese rather than English:
top10tourists.jpg
Many Malaysians are trilinguals (Chinese, Malay, English) and many Singaporeans are bilinguals (Chinese, English). And Thailand is home to the largest overseas Chinese population in the world, but many of them couldn't speak Chinese, so mastering Chinese is good for their self-image.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sambum said:

Asean’s working language numbers just one – English. This is striking when contrasted with that other successful regional organisation, the EU, which recognises 24 official and working languages.It is crucial, however, to note that, at Asean’s formation, English was adopted as the only de facto working and official language. Key founding figures speak of it emerging auto­matically as the common language."

Sorry, that is wrong. The ASEAN area has adopted about 10 languages as common trade/legislation/communication languages. And your Problem has nothing to do with the original topic.

Which is: Stop mocking bad english of Thai people, after all they speak a second language. Do you?

2 hours ago, Jomtien Holiday Guy said:

Just love it...Often i hear native English speaking Tourists complain about poor educated peoples English skills,

eventhough they ain't able to speak any even simple words in a foreign Language themselves Hahaha

2 hours ago, Enki said:

Sorry, that is wrong. The ASEAN area has adopted about 10 languages as common trade/legislation/communication languages. And your Problem has nothing to do with the original topic.

Which is: Stop mocking bad english of Thai people, after all they speak a second language. Do you?

Think about a similar sign in the US reading "Don't complain about our Spanish if you can't speak English."

Can you see how unfriendly and xenophobic it is now? I would never walk into such a place.

No matter what the nationality or language the sign is basically saying to customers "we are unfriendly and frustrated, stay away".

• Haha 1

On 1/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, samsensam said:

if someone complained about my second language ability, for example my french, and especially if i was using that language in order to be successful in business, i'd work hard to improve my language skills. that would be common sense/good business sense, wouldn't it?!

Common sense has gone the way of the dinosaur!

On 1/20/2020 at 11:10 PM, Yinn said:

Is useful in Sakon Nakhon? 

absolutely!
There are a lot of French people who live in this beautiful province and it's easier for me to speak to them in French rather than in another language;
amazing, right? :whistling:

and in Phangkhon there is a young Thai woman who must be the same age as you and who has a Master from the University of Aix en Provence (you will search on Google where it is ,I give you a hint, it's in France);
She is very happy to be able to continue speaking French. :jap:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yinn said:

Your small hotel in Pattaya is dying. Pattaya is dying. 

But 39 million tourist. 

More than neighboring country. Thailand win.

No

Why not.

so many come now 15 million. Do the paperwork is to much. Sabai sabai.

Pfffft And the planes and buses are full. People complain airport to busy, have to many Chinese tourist bus.

Phuket and samui airport not big enough have more plane come.

new airport in Phangnga to help.

walk outside, I think you will see a tourist. 39 million.

Correct, up and up. Really well, get more and more. Be 50 million soon.

i hope you learn to speak Chinese. For your customer.

Good luck.

971E69CC-9FE3-4015-A9AF-52A06F5A6B84.png

All hail, wonderful Thailand!

You really are completely clueless!

It’s never bothered me, but I understand those paying for high end service expect to be able to communicate in the internationally recognised ‘universal language’.... 

That said, this sign is from a locally run restaurant & resort where a basic smattering of English would seem more than enough when dealing with most customers. 

The outstanding issues are not of people being not being able to speak English, but of people specifically exposed to foreigners not being able to communicate in English (a universal language). 

Not an issue for me, but I understand how it could be a gripe for some.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DarkKnight7 said:

You can say that again I never expect anyone here to speak English we’re in Thailand for Christ sake. My Thai is decent though. But not either of the languages I was trained in. 

I agree with you, in regards to daily life amongst the general Thai population... particularly outside the city or places that are not geared up for tourists, such as supermarkets, public transport, services, markets etc etc.

However, if I was to use a company, that was clearly set up for tourists, or an organisation / business that was dealing with tourists and English speaking foreigners every day (often for years on end), then I would expect the staff to have some level of English!  

For example, saying in a large hotel in a tourist place, where foreigners make up most of the guests, or using a tourist tour group to go to a tourist attraction, I would be annoyed if no one there spoke English, or if they put up a sign like that, because that is just stupid and lazy, and showing that they have no regard for their customers.

Edited by jak2002003

On 1/20/2020 at 7:46 AM, malibukid said:

don't complain about my Thai if you can not speak English

No we just love your money amount of farangs been coming to this country over 30 years and Thais still cannot  speak english best farang not come here for a 2 or.4 week farang got a choice where they spend there money thai got no choice they need farangs .farang dont need thai 100% 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The Japanese have the business concept of kaizen, or continuous improvement, which they actually learned from the American W. Edwards Deming. It embraces the idea that there is always a better, faster, more efficient way to do things. Everyone is taught to continually look for opportunities for improvement. Criticism and negative feedback are seen as valuable because they help identify opportunities for improvement. In many corporate cultures, employees are rewarded for identifying ways to improve things. Whether you're talking about the need to improve one's English skills or any other skill needed to conduct business, if feedback from your customer is never solicited - or even worse - becomes a source of resentment, then the pace of improvement will always be slower than for those who are open to this feedback, which will put you at a competitive disadvantage.

There are those who seem to think that Thailand and its people are already so wonderful and perfect that visitors will continue coming here no matter what, and there is really no sense of urgency about the need to improve the quality of the tourist experience here. Maybe this was true 40 years ago when Thailand could honestly market itself to the world as an inexpensive, exotic, mysterious, tropical paradise, but few would argue that at least some of that allure has faded, and the need to compete for tourism dollars has grown. I would also ask these individuals to reflect upon why it is that Japan builds its cars in Thailand rather than Thailand building its cars in Japan.

There is also a certain poster on this forum who will remain quasi-anonymous, who seems to see her role as defending and explaining the status quo in Thailand to expats suffering from either severe cultural insensitivity or mental retardation. I rarely, if ever, am left with the impression that she has ever gained any insight into Thai culture from interacting with the foreigners on this forum, much less shared any of these insights with her compatriots. This thread is a perfect opportunity to change that.  She should consider sharing with her Thai compatriots that there is a different and more dynamic way to look at criticism or negative feedback. You can look at is being "negative",  "not happy", or "complaining" and an opportunity to feel resentment. Or you can look at complaints as positive, and an opportunity for improvement and to grow your business. In my opinion, many Thai business people would benefit (and ultimately appreciate) having this explained to them.

Not sure about the Japanese but for me it's common sense that without criticism nothing will ever improve or change

In Thailand I believe it's about not hurting someone's feelings but nothing will improve that way.
When someone asks me how was the food I will tell them straight up what i think and not just say alloy mag to be polite.

Edited by monkfish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Whether you're talking about the need to improve one's English skills or any other skill needed to conduct business, if feedback from your customer is never solicited - or even worse - becomes a source of resentment, then the pace of improvement will always be slower than for those who are open to this feedback, which will put you at a competitive disadvantage.

It's even worse here. Some places are trying to get you to rate them five stars no matter how crappy they are and if you leave a feedback of anything less, there will be a "you no undahstaan" reply. Recently I left a review in agoda, that apparently got censored by the hotel. This after they specifically asked me to rate them. The place was a construction yard, which was never mentioned anywhere before booking. Gave them two stars.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

It's even worse here. Some places are trying to get you to rate them five stars no matter how crappy they are and if you leave a feedback of anything less, there will be a "you no undahstaan" reply. Recently I left a review in agoda, that apparently got censored by the hotel. This after they specifically asked me to rate them. The place was a construction yard, which was never mentioned anywhere before booking. Gave them two stars.

I read recently (the weekend's Financial Times actually) that AirBNB hosts are particularly sensitive to any but the most benign comments

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Stopped at a hotel in Phuket not long the Hotel Manageress was very rude.
I told my wife to leave negative Feedback on Agoda but she refused she'll only leave feedback if it's good.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, monkfish said:

I told my wife to leave negative Feedback on Agoda but she refused she'll only leave feedback if it's good.

And this attitude renders the reviews basically useless. I've found the reviews in Google maps are a bit more accurate than agoda or booking.com. 

I wonder what reviews the place with the sign has.

10 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Stopped at a hotel in Phuket not long the Hotel Manageress was very rude.

Nothing stopping you leaving your comments. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, samsensam said:

if someone complained about my second language ability, for example my french, and especially if i was using that language in order to be successful in business, i'd work hard to improve my language skills. that would be common sense/good business sense, wouldn't it?!

No, it’s a complete and utter waste of your time to learn a dead language like Thai. This is precisely why it is imperative to land a Thai wife that was educated in the US before you move to Thailand. I met my wife ( went to Stanford, #1 school on planet Earth ) on Tinder while I was still living in San Francisco. When I learned of the massive money to be made in the Thai supplement industry, of course, I moved to Thailand. That said, I’ve been here five years now and don’t know a lick of Thai or care to waste my time learning. However, I have learned Chinese since moving to Thailand. If you’re going to learn an Asian language, you learn Chinese which has actual real world value. If you need an interpreter, you marry a smart Thai woman. There are loads of single rich smart bilingual Thai girls due to lack of straight males in Thailand. Don’t just settle for a lowly bar girl. You can do way better than that!!! Stupid is as stupid does though. You reap what you sow. Survival of the fittest. Adapt or die.

I had traveled in many countries all over the world (including Thailand) and found my (second language English) very useful.

English language allows me to cross barriers and communicate with  people of different nationalities.

Like it or not, English is the language of the World. It helps us to unite.

Besides of all this, if every tourist had to learn all languages of all countries where they go, world tourist industry would stop dead.

Regardless of all the above, it is always appreciated when tourist learns some simple local phrases. Just to say "Hello" in native people's tongue creates good vibes.

Good will on both sides goes a long way.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, bkk6060 said:

I speak only a few Thai words but I agree with the sign.

Only because I have witnessed too many Falang get upset or even yell at staff at various places because they cannot understand English.  Calling them stupid and the such.

It can be frustrating but not really their fault. Blame the government for not making them learn English in school.

If you want good English interaction with mostly polite people, go to the Philippines 90% there speak.

It is indeed the government's fault. I live in rural Thailand. Several years back one of my Thai nieces came to me for help. It came out that her English teacher could not speak English so there was no conversational English happening in class. When I offered to help I was officially rejected.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:31 PM, bkk6060 said:

Well, you are wrong.

They are speaking Tagalog because they are probably talking about you. Duh.

But, there are official stats on this and 3 times as many people speak English in the Phils then Thailand. 

As I stated, many many more especially in the cities and tourist areas speak English in the Phils then here. Places like AC close to 100%.

But, there are official stats on this and 3 times as many people speak English in the Phils then Thailand.

With the US influence in the Philippines, is this rocket science?

Thailand never had that 'privilege' to be blessed with fluency in English!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ravip said:

With the US influence in the Philippines, is this rocket science?

Thailand never had that 'privilege' to be blessed with fluency in English!

Blessing may help, but not without doing hard work. Learn and practice... ????

2 hours ago, nrasmussen said:

I read the sign as being tongue-in-cheek and it made me smile. It certainly wouldn't keep me away - quite the opposite, actually.

I fully agree,  a very tongue-in-cheek comment - although I think the "love you" was a bit of a spoiler.