“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

I have to agree with the sign.  If you are in any foreign country and don’t understand the language don’t complain.  Expecting everyone in a foreign country to speak your language, whatever it is, is not only unrealistic but arrogant and just plain stupid.  And for those who choose to live here that don’t even try and learn the language you should never complain.  Whatever country you choose to live in learn the language.  Thai is a difficult language but it’s not impossible to learn.  Don’t just sit back like a moron and get by with your wife or gf translating everything for you.  Thai’s love it when you try to speak their language and you’d be surprised at how much enjoyable living here is when you can speak, read and write Thai.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Enki said:

No it is not.

There are more spanish speakers than english.

There are more Mandarin speakers than spanish and english together.

There are plenty of countries where the lingua franca is: french.

And there are plenty of countries where the first second language you learn in school: is not english. And on top of that there are countries, were except for the reception in a hotel: no one speaks english, e.g. Spain or Italy (yes, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point, right?)

And regardless: for a Thai it is quite difficult to learn english, as english as in relation to Thai, a super complicated language.

Thai on the other hand is a super simple language. Complaining that one who speaks naturally a simple language makes mistakes in a complex language, is not very smart/intelligent or polite. Especially if it is a street food restaurant.

In Thai it is: "go bathroom". Why would a Thai not literally translate that to english, and say in english: "go bathroom"?

You don't know anything about languages, but you think your language is "the world language"? ROFL.

Without a doubt, English is the international language for Europe and Americas but not in East Asia.

In the past, the international language in East Asia was Chinese due to its proximity and influence. Even the Japanese and Korean learned the Chinese languages then.

It lost its prestige after the 19th century when the colonizers... you know the rest.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

Everyone is triggered because:

1.  They have been here for 200-years, drank a billion beers but only know one Thai word which they say incorrectly.

2.  Finally they can fight for their language

3.  They will take their 20 baht somewhere else.  

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Enki said:

Complex languages are indeed Finish, Basque, and German, Russian, English, but also: Spanish, Italian ... etc.

Ah come now. Finnish isn't complex, even small kids in Finland speak it. Thai is complex, because it's not precise. Have to guess half of the meaning from the context. No wonder they screw up all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

In the department stores or other large shops i often see the staff running away when they see me coming...Then when one is close to me i say loud, Chai krab, anneee fallang, pai leo....then they always have to laugh...

In Power Buy or Homepro my wife goes crazy from the annoying sales...also when she's with me...but when i'm alone they don't speak to me at all....mostly they run away. Perfect!

I don’t know where you live but I have never had this happen to me.  I go to stores alone all the time.  Homepro etc..., and wherever I go the staff is always welcoming and helpful. 

• Like 1

Is this really so bad??? I can speak Thai fairly well but I see some expats here for over 10 years that make no effort to learn the language at all. But I would say also sometimes Thai people don't want to speak Thai back to you if they know a little bit of English because that would mean the Farang knows more than them. So here is what I do if they speak no English I speak Thai if they speak a little English I speak English to make them feel good. 

Edited by flyingsaucersarereal
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I speak only a few Thai words but I agree with the sign.

Only because I have witnessed too many Falang get upset or even yell at staff at various places because they cannot understand English.  Calling them stupid and the such.

It can be frustrating but not really their fault. Blame the government for not making them learn English in school.

If you want good English interaction with mostly polite people, go to the Philippines 90% there speak.

No they don't. It's a myth. There is more English, but you get rural, many simply can't or won't speak it.

2 hours ago, Bigz said:

Absolutely nobody speak French in Isaan. Not even in Cambodia or Laos anymore.

You must stop writing nonsense ..

I'm living in Isaan since 14 years  and I speak fluent french; it's normal, I'm french ..:whistling:
And I know a young Thai woman in Phangkhon 35 km from my home who speaks French as well as I do; she has a Master from the University of Aix en Provence ..

As for the other countries mentioned;

I met in Laos with many officials who speak fluent French for a simple reason, French is the second official language of the country.
And in Vietnam, a country that I know very well, very many students learn French,

for example  at the University of Hue where Mr. Le Duc Quang is one of their teachers;
he is a very longtime friend who speaks perfect French.
he is also a simultaneous translator of the ESIT in Paris.
And let's not forget that one of the last Francophonie summits was held in Hanoi; I believe it was in the year 2000;
Summit organized by the Ambassador of Vietnam to UNESCO at that time. This Ambassador also speaks excellent French.

9 hours ago, ravip said:

How many 'second languages' would a business have to learn according to common sense/good business sense?  

Only one. If they needed more it would be third, fourth, fith etc.

Edited by mngmn
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, i84teen said:

Fair enough. I won't complain.

But keep this in mind: your very existence as a restaurant was made possible ONLY by english speaking foreigners and other farangs.

Don't overestimate your value for Thai economy

Here in Isaan nobody speaks English, how do they survive )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thian said:

If you spoke this bad english to me in a Phuket hotel i would be angry and write that on Agoda, your english is sure not good enough to work in a hotel. Your level of english is just good enough for a taxidriver in Sukhumvit BKK.

English is spelled with a big “E”. Not a small “e”.

Because it is a name (of a language, country)

Is one of the rules of English.

Your grammar is wrong also. I would like to recommend “grammarly” app for you.

Good luck with your language study. Happy to help you learn. 

Ps. I not read Agoda, so I not care. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

You must stop writing nonsense ..

I'm living in Isaan since 14 years  and I speak fluent french; it's normal, I'm french ..

Is useful in Sakon Nakhon? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

I had similar when I went to the States for the first time - I was asked at least half a dozen times if I was Australian.  No idea why because I speak pretty accentless British English (so I am told)

The best part when I was with a bunch of lovely Aussie and American ladies at a conference in Chicago.

One of the American women suddenly turned to me and said 'Gee, ya'll tahk real funneh'  to which I replied 'Sorry you think so, but it IS my language'.  

She just went 'Eeewww' in that irritating way and flounced off in a huff.

All the Aussie women burst into laughter and one of the other American women said 'I'm glad you said that, because none of us can stand her'.

I did my bit for the Empire that day!  ???? 

Did that include lying back and thinking of England? ????

1 hour ago, sambum said:

There used to be a comedy programme on BBC Scotland called "Rab C. Nesbitt" Rumour has it that when they broadcast it in the South of England they had to use subtitles!

P.S. There is "Esan" Thai and "Bangkok" Thai!

P.S. North Esan (lao) different to south Esan (Khmer)

Bangkok thai different to south thai.

Also north thai is different. 

If you watch thai tv news, often have subtitles when interview people from south, Esan etc

Can you speak Thai? Or not? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

No they don't. It's a myth. There is more English, but you get rural, many simply can't or won't speak it.

In the Philippines, due to a history of multiple settlements, more than 170 languages are spoken and only 2 of them are official in the country: Filipino and English.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thian said:

In the department stores or other large shops i often see the staff running away when they see me coming...Then when one is close to me i say loud, Chai krab, anneee fallang, pai leo.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

If you spoke this bad english to me in a Phuket hotel i would be angry 

You really not mix in Thailand well.

Thai people running away, you angry.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

No but the rest of the world does, the ones in farangland with money!

Maybe that why the hotel have customer come back every year.

Because people write wonderful review about lovely Yinn. POTY 2019 TVF.

Very popular. 45%.

And you? People run away right?

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

And you are a shame for the hotels in phuket if you even can't write or speak proper english...sooo thai.

I tell you already English have a big “E”, not small “e”.

You not good student.

“sooo” is not a English word. Look the dictionary.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Well, I’m gonna stick my neck out here and say “ I liked the sign “ !!

I’m probably in the minority, but who cares  !!

We all know there are plenty of foreigners visiting Thailand who believe that they are above the locals and complain when they cannot be understood or understand the staff’s English. The same type that think by raising your voice will get you better service, while we all know that’s not true.

The sign is to the point and well written , the “ love you “ signature takes the edge off , a little like a smiley or cheesy emoji.

It certainly would not deter me from entering.

• Like 2