“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

13 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

so...let's see....how many people in th world speak Thai versus how many speak English as a first or other language.

1.  But... this is about a Thai restaurant in Thailand, not how delightfully parochial and backwaterish the locals can be.

14 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

This sign is from a business hoping to make money out of visitors to Thailand. The lingua franca of tourism, worldwide, is English it is used by almost all visitors at some point be they English first language or Germans or French, Italian Mexican Japanese...whatever

2.  The old, outdated anglophile opinion that English is the common language and it's use is somehow universally empirical in the modern age of global tourism. An age with all these foreign language translation app-enabled smartphones and foreign-language wiki's, googles and the like.

16 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

....... yet these people seem to think they are justified in not learning it.

This is the kind f attitude in Thailand that is often the cause of bad service and in the end a failing business.

3.  And finally, holding to the popular misconception that Thai's are just inherently too lazy to learn English and that this perceived 'failing' will be the death of the nation.

That's a perfect 3 and 0 there. I bet you're really impressed with yourself, eh?

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:44 AM, Yinn said:

They can speak English. 

They write the sign in English!

Boring listen to people complain English not enough for SOME customer.

Happen already. Reason make the sign.

This is exactly the reason why this sign is showing off the supidity of the business owner. It has a repellent effect even on all the many other foreign customers who would'nt have complained.

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

You'd noticed too?  

I strongly suspect 'she' is a Western male purporting to be a Thai female.

Yet few here understand what Yinn is telling you about the sign. It does not say speak Thai, it does not say don't speak English. It's saying be or at least act happy. That is paramount to Thai, and Yinn's point, thus Yinn is Thai.

Besides I checked, earthworms DO eat plastics. What Western TV poster would dare raise worms on plastic in their garden and proudly post pictures for their fellow TV posters?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, monkfish said:

There's not many good foreign restaurants in Thailand probably because foreigner's aren't allowed to be cooks

Foreigners are allowed to be cooks, especially if they cook "foreign food", oops, that was so easy again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yet few here understand what Yinn is telling you about the sign. It does not say speak Thai, it does not say don't speak English.

Thankyou.

I tell them, they not want to understand.

they like foreigner go their country, and complain everything? So boring.

and they complain my English! Exactly reason for the sign!!!!

Maybe they have brain problem?

It's saying be or at least act happy. That is paramount to Thai, and Yinn's point, thus Yinn is Thai.

The point of the sign is saying “stop complain” right?

BUT 30+ page of MORE complain. 555555

if they not complain, not NEED the sign right.

one person complain in a restaurant make everyone bad feeling. Annoying.

Besides I checked, earthworms DO eat plastics.

I not deliberate to feed the worm plastic. I feed them paper, cardboard, food waste. Sometimes the card box have advertising a bit plastic.

what they do with their paper waste? Throw the bin? Then will be burn= more air pollution= they will complain more!!!!

aaarrrgggh 555555

What Western TV poster would dare raise worms on plastic in their garden and proudly post pictures for their fellow TV posters?

I just finish caring them, give some jackfruit for vitamin and leaf and paper for fiber. No pollution!

i will update worm thread now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Opl said:

This is exactly the reason why this sign is showing off the supidity of the business owner. It has a repellent effect even on all the many other foreign customers who would'nt have complained.

Yes, will be a happy restaurant for happy people. Good feeling.

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thankyou.

I tell them, they not want to understand.

they like foreigner go their country, and complain everything? So boring.

and they complain my English! Exactly reason for the sign!!!!

Maybe they have brain problem?

The point of the sign is saying “stop complain” right?

BUT 30+ page of MORE complain. 555555

if they not complain, not NEED the sign right.

one person complain in a restaurant make everyone bad feeling. Annoying.

I not deliberate to feed the worm plastic. I feed them paper, cardboard, food waste. Sometimes the card box have advertising a bit plastic.

what they do with their paper waste? Throw the bin? Then will be burn= more air pollution= they will complain more!!!!

aaarrrgggh 555555

I just finish caring them, give some jackfruit for vitamin and leaf and paper for fiber. No pollution!

i will update worm thread now. 

Funny to me it looks like whoever wrote the sign is doing the complaining and we don't even know about what.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

If you want to have foreign customers, then you have to get some facts right. They dont you crappers, like to wash hands before a meal and after using the rest room and appreciate an English menu.

If you only cater to Thais, then ignore the above; love you too! 

My experience, based on around 12 years of living and working in the US, is that the average US male doesn't wash his hands before or after using the bathroom, either at home or when dining out. There's a very, very valid reason why one should avoid the complimentary small bowl of peanuts, bar mix or chips provided at the bar or at the table while you wait for your entre's.

Other nationalities and genders please feel free to post your honest opinions on how your fellow countrymen and women observe public hygiene.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Fantastic stuff. English speakers are linguist imperialists expecting everyone else to learn their tongue. 

Most of those roughly only speak "english" to begin with, much let alone the comprehension of the language

48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

My experience, based on around 12 years of living and working in the US, is that the average US male doesn't wash his hands before or after using the bathroom, either at home or when dining out. There's a very, very valid reason why one should avoid the complimentary small bowl of peanuts, bar mix or chips provided at the bar or at the table while you wait for your entre's.

Other nationalities and genders please feel free to post your honest opinions on how your fellow countrymen and women observe public hygiene.

Several years ago studies were done on the ecoli level of said "bar snacks" it was not disimilar levels to the toilet door handles

2 hours ago, the guest said:

Sign is indicative on how ignorant these people really are. If you want tourists, then learn to speak English. Thai education is sub-standard. If the Philippines can do it, so can you. Don't make excuses for your own inadequacies. Stop being arrogant. Stop thinking Thaiand is important, it's not. 

Your post is indicative of how ignorant you are. 

If the Philippines can do what? I have been in plenty of places in the Philippines where there was no English spoken.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

1.  But... this is about a Thai restaurant in Thailand, not how delightfully parochial and backwaterish the locals can be.

2.  The old, outdated anglophile opinion that English is the common language and it's use is somehow universally empirical in the modern age of global tourism. An age with all these foreign language translation app-enabled smartphones and foreign-language wiki's, googles and the like.

3.  And finally, holding to the popular misconception that Thai's are just inherently too lazy to learn English and that this perceived 'failing' will be the death of the nation.

That's a perfect 3 and 0 there. I bet you're really impressed with yourself, eh?

"The old, outdated anglophile opinion that English is the common language and it's use is somehow universally empirical in the modern age of global tourism."

Clever words to show your command of the English language, no doubt, but obviously "Asean" doesn't think so! Obviously you didn't see it first time it was posted, so here it is again! :-

"Asean’s working language numbers just one – English. This is striking when contrasted with that other successful regional organisation, the EU, which recognises 24 official and working languages.It is crucial, however, to note that, at Asean’s formation, English was adopted as the only de facto working and official language. Key founding figures speak of it emerging auto­matically as the common language."

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, ravip said:

Please explain. Very difficult for the common man to understand your unique and extraordinary post.

It's  quite understandable to me and I don't think I'm any difference form the common man. Just give it more thought.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, Exilerunner said:

I disagree. I have seen lots of people in the Philippines speaking nothing but Tagalog even though it is supposed to be their primary language in school. I have seen many Thais speaking better English ...

In your dreams. The Philippines has more English speaking people than England. The Philippines is number 4 in the world for the most English speakers.  

Edited by PhonThong

On 1/20/2020 at 11:54 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

But they don't.

U native english speakers are the minority here, most german, russian,chinese, japanese, korean etc tourists suck at english as much as thais and just point at a picture or menu to order what they want or use google translate. They don't throw a hissy fit about language.

if i would run a basic restaurant and someone threats my employes badly for their spoken english i would stick this sign in their face too.

This isn't a 5 star hotel, this is some somchai street restaurant. 

I stay in a no star rated GH and the Thai staffs English is 99.9% helped along by myself over the past years. Mai me pan ha. (Not have any problem.)