“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

18 minutes ago, JeffreyO said:

So... they expect tourists to learn the language of every nation they travel to?  Damn, I'd be such a polyglot! 

A country that prides itself on tourism, yes, they should have basic English capacity if they intend to serve native English speaking customers.  

Real tourists should have tourist guides to do the translation or they go to shops whose personnels are trained to speak in foreign languages. 

Many Thai do have basic English capacity because they have English lessons for 11 years of their school days. They certainly know the numbers except their pronunciation is off even after being taught by native English speakers who can't teach.

However, many foreigners don't use basic English, they use higher intermediate English.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

If it's a local Thai style restaurant then the sign is fair enough, although the tone of it would probably put me off eating there even though I'd be able to order in Thai. A simple 'thanks' at the end instead of 'love you' would have made it sound a lot more friendly and not like a sarcastic, snide comment.

If it's a tourist restaurant catering to predominantly foreigners then I think it's fair enough to expect a decent amount of English to be spoken there, unless they're expecting foreign guests to learn Thai for their week long holiday.

Given the fact that they are basically admitting their English is not good, and the fact that the language on the sign is structured correctly and has the correct use of "don't" and "can't", I suspect the sign was actually written by a native English speaker (maybe a Woke backpacker who loves natives and hates package tourists) so maybe they added the sarcastic tone and the owner doesn't realize it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JeffreyO said:

So... they expect tourists to learn the language of every nation they travel to?  Damn, I'd be such a polyglot! 

A country that prides itself on tourism, yes, they should have basic English capacity if they intend to serve native English speaking customers.  

So.... you expect to judge the whole tourist industry from one little sign in one little shop? 

• Like 2

'Another said: “I wouldn’t be surprised... I’ve heard that it’s not unusual how English-speakers (mostly Americans) who can’t speak another language go to other countries and start complaining. It’s absurd”.'

It has always raised my eyebrow when Europeans make statements like this, showing an absolute ignorance of Americans. A vast number of Americans back home also speak German, Spanish, Canadian French, or Italian, to name a few. America, the ''melting pot of the world''. These languages along with Russian, Latin and God knows what else are taught in most high schools and colleges. Spanish is taught, starting in elementary grades. 

To set the record straight, here in the LAND OF AMAZING FOREIGNERS, the large circle of American expats with our American sense of humor, laugh at Thaiglish for entertainment purposes, and we even banter with the Nationals who take it in humorous ways, unlike the many European expats that get frustrated and take Thai peoples' mis

pronounciations, or lack of English skills personal. The Thai in turn enjoy laughing not at us, but with us over our poor Thai language skills.  

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I never complained nor even thought to complain about their English skills. It is their country.  I am the visitor.  I always kind of enjoyed hearing some broken english with the lovely lady Thai accents, or see some written English that had incorrect grammar.  It simply reminds me I am traveling and in a place I like.

Years ago on my first and only trip down to Tijuana Mexico, went for just one night and was there for a few hours.  I was a bit dismayed at how little English was spoken there by just about every shop keeper, even the great little taco shop we were eating at.  My first thought was, they should be interested in learning and using English as they are right over the border and English speaking people are a huge part of their business.  I was not mad.  I was just taken a bit back that they would not have made more of an effort.

I’ve learned “years ago” is a frighteningly high number on TVF. Things have changed FYI. 

Edited by alex8912

20 hours ago, Yinn said:

Jingthing live in Thailand right? 

many years. How your thai language skill? Is difficult learn second language yes? 

You know about how ask for something polite thai language right? Can read thai?

When I work the hotel Phuket before have very angry Aussie scream at taxi driver. They said the place want to go wrong way, so he take them wrong place. 

They so impolite, refuse pay him. They say to me “F idiot, why he not speak English??” 

I answer that if he can know second language he will get high wage job more than be taxi driver. Ask them “taxi driver in Australia study all the language for help tourist? Or not?” 

IMO eglish speaker never learn second language is most impolite. (USA, Aussie, NZ, England). And speak to quickly.

Usually German, Italy, Holland, Korean, Chinese very polite about language misunderstanding. Because they understand it difficult. Have experience.

I think Thais should learn more English as they are a tourist country. They want to make money of tourists then learn English. That is how it should be. Its just your education and your nationalism that are wrong. They should have more English TV and lessons.

But your also right that native English speakers are often arrogant and expect non native speaker to know everything. Indeed people who speak English as a second languauge have often far more understanding for the Thais then those from the UK, US.

I laugh my ass of when I see Americans (seems to be often Americans) ordering food and using complicated English like hold the Mayo and editing complete menu's and then expecting it to come out right. It often goes wrong if you do so in Thai to try it in English is just crazy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Stupid, provocative sign.  If you can speak Thai, does that make it OK to complain about the staff's English?  Why would any tourist need or want to speak Thai?  If the restaurant is trying to attract tourist customers, they should employ staff with a reasonable level of English.  

When you are in Rome you do like Romans do.

Off topic/bickering/Troll/responses all removed.

Please try to stay on topic and observe forum rules.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

In the Philippines, due to a history of multiple settlements, more than 170 languages are spoken and only 2 of them are official in the country: Filipino and English.

I can read chief, I have also spent around 8 years coming and going to Philippines for work..

The English is great amongst the middle class and wealthy.

It is not universal and English ability is actually in decline if you read some reports.

But thanks for taking the time open Wikipedia to prove me wrong. 

I am assuming it was your source, because you didn't have the courtesy to attribute your cut and paste - nor it seems did you have originality enough to add your own comment.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I think Thais should learn more English as they are a tourist country. They want to make money of tourists then learn English. That is how it should be. Its just your education and your nationalism that are wrong. They should have more English TV and lessons.

But your also right that native English speakers are often arrogant and expect non native speaker to know everything. Indeed people who speak English as a second languauge have often far more understanding for the Thais then those from the UK, US.

I laugh my ass of when I see Americans (seems to be often Americans) ordering food and using complicated English like hold the Mayo and editing complete menu's and then expecting it to come out right. It often goes wrong if you do so in Thai to try it in English is just crazy. 

As a third nationality observer, I feel the need to comment that while many seem to feel this sign is particularly indicative of Americans, there are far more Brits on the ground in Thailand and rarely have I seen a nationality behave more poorly.

In my experience Americans are generally loud or brash, ok tourists can be downright violent or paralytic drunk or both.

And, the sign, as so few here seem to acknowledge while it specifies English as the alternate l beige of choice is certainly indicated for tourists of all nationalities who are not necessarily English native speakers.

We are not talking about the entitlement of English native speakers here, but of western travellers as a whole.

Many tourists to Thailand are simply <deleted>, natioality or native language not withstanding 

14 hours ago, Berkshire said:

It's kind of funny (and pathetic) that you're ragging on Ms. Yinn when clearly, English is her second language.  At least she has the courage to engage on an English-only forum.  Do you have the courage to engage on a Thai-language forum?  Rhetorical question because I know you do not. 

It’s kind of funny you assume I could not and even funnier when you assume I could not speak thai , but for the usual Thai stupidity defenders facts are never in a way of a good troll ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, monkfish said:

There's not many good foreign restaurants in Thailand probably because foreigner's aren't allowed to be cooks here not like in the USA where most Thai's have there own restaurants

so here they have to teach Thai's to cook Farang and that just doesn't work out in my opinion they put too much sugar and msg in everything.
Also I think many Thai don't like food from other countries like if they go abroad they have to take Mama, Nam gim and fish sauce with them.

When in reality it has the best western food in ASIA and is recognized as the best Sushi/japanese place behind Japan itself.

And no, it's not correct that you can't work as a western/foreign chef here, there's many thousands of them. In every 4/5 star hotel basically.

There's no mass expat community anywhere else here (except singa), which also means there's barely western food.

Korean and Japan don't give a damn about western food, there's also no expats there.

In korea and japan you will get denied entry in many restaurants because you are white/black, it's only for locals.

They also don't speak english, at all, except in Incheon a lil bit.

We don't even need to mention china, you aren't welcome their either.

Philiphines absolutely <deleted> sucks for food, even western, i don't know what's wrong with them??? They just can't cook.

Vietnam, barely any western food, just compare amount of steak houses in HCM vs BKK....

Singapore, of course an exception, it's a big shopping mall after all.

But Bangkok is no difference, there's not one soi on lower sukhumvit which doesn't have a decent western place.

Sometimes i think i live in a different country than you guys, but that's maybe because i saw the rest of Asia too, and they also managed to <deleted> me off as much as thailand, so i am very balanced and direct my <deleted> talking at the whole of asia and not only thailand ????

Your opinion <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> reality

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

It’s kind of funny you assume I could not and even funnier when you assume I could not speak thai , but for the usual Thai stupidity defenders facts are never in a way of a good troll ????

You're about the last person who should be using the term "facts."  If you want to see a troll, look in the mirror.

47 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

When in reality it has the best western food in ASIA and is recognized as the best Sushi/japanese place behind Japan itself.

And no, it's not correct that you can't work as a western/foreign chef here, there's many thousands of them. In every 4/5 star hotel basically.

There's no mass expat community anywhere else here (except singa), which also means there's barely western food.

Korean and Japan don't give a damn about western food, there's also no expats there.

In korea and japan you will get denied entry in many restaurants because you are white/black, it's only for locals.

They also don't speak english, at all, except in Incheon a lil bit.

We don't even need to mention china, you aren't welcome their either.

Philiphines absolutely <deleted> sucks for food, even western, i don't know what's wrong with them??? They just can't cook.

Vietnam, barely any western food, just compare amount of steak houses in HCM vs BKK....

Singapore, of course an exception, it's a big shopping mall after all.

But Bangkok is no difference, there's not one soi on lower sukhumvit which doesn't have a decent western place.

Sometimes i think i live in a different country than you guys, but that's maybe because i saw the rest of Asia too, and they also managed to <deleted> me off as much as thailand, so i am very balanced and direct my <deleted> talking at the whole of asia and not only thailand ????

Your opinion <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> reality

Yes sure that's my opinion and personally I haven't eaten any good western food in Thailand.
The restaurants I have tried were all terrible so I gave up but maybe that's because I'm used to very high standards having lived in Europe before.
Unfortunately I don't go to Bangkok Sukhumvit much which is a good Western food restaurant there?
Anyway love Thai food as long as it's not too sweet so I stick to that and I don't like Sushi and the Japanese food also seems to be overly sweet for my taste.

Edited by monkfish

22 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The idea is close enough. Other places are happy to provide service in English. Forget Thailand, leave it to the Chinese and let them learn mandarin.

...in a dream world. Such 'classy' tourists are ONLY a handful and they will visit Thailand whether they speak English or not... it is the 'other type' of Tourists that keep complaining at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Miami007 said:

When I was young (many years ago) it was amazing to see how many languages servers (and other staff in tourism businesses) were speaking when traveling in Europe. 

Basic English, German and French to ensure that staff could greet customers and that they could order was pretty much a given in countries like Italy, Greece and Spain.

The fact that tourists could communicate while on vacation provided a better holiday experience and resulted in repeat business and positive word of mouth (the Social Media of the 1970s and 80s).

Maybe speaking English would help improve the experience for visitors

Agree with you 100%

But... I have seem 'foreigners' loosing their head just because the staff were not fluent in English. Sometimes...both sides should have patience.

Some native English speakers needs a translator, because other native English speakers cannot understand him/her because of the accent!

18 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

We are talking about a 5 stars establishment

that cost a lot of money so as a customer you can

expect some minimal level in return

or is it asking too much again?

I have a friend who owns a 4 stas hotel in Paris

most of his customers are from america, it's just

impossible for him to imagine hiring someone who doesn't speak a good english.

I mean the problem is not the staff, they do what they can, the problem is the

management,

if you are the owner or the manager and you don't care enough of your customers to make them feel confortable with a minimum of language skills from your staff, because you prefer hire people underpaid with poors or no foreign language skills, it's just greed and can not be an excuse

Do you mean to say that the sign pictured on the OP was in a five star hotel? Really?

• Haha 1

so...let's see....how many people in th world speak Thai versus how many speak English as a first or other language.

This sign is from a business hoping to make money out of visitors to Thailand. The lingua franca of tourism, worldwide, is English it is used by almost all visitors at some point be they English first language or Germans or French, Italian Mexican Japanese...whatever ....... yet these people seem to think they are justified in not learning it.

This is the kind f attitude in Thailand that is often the cause of bad service and in the end a failing business.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Chances are the serving staff are not even Thai. In a lot of cases around here, you can't find Thais for this type of job (well not on the wages the restaurants want to pay). Many migrant workers speak good Thai but it can be a challenge to be understood in any language. Same is true for London to be fair! I couldn't understand the various accents of the serving staff there at all!

• Like 1