“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

On 1/20/2020 at 11:54 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

But they don't.

U native english speakers are the minority here, most german, russian,chinese, japanese, korean etc tourists suck at english as much as thais and just point at a picture or menu to order what they want or use google translate. They don't throw a hissy fit about language.

if i would run a basic restaurant and someone threats my employes badly for their spoken english i would stick this sign in their face too.

This isn't a 5 star hotel, this is some somchai street restaurant. 

I stay in a no star rating GH and the Thais staff English is 99.9% helped along by myself over the past years. They have one advantage and that is I'm a native English speaking person . Percy P

Edited by Percy P

On 1/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, Thailsacien said:

Someone who speaks 3 languages is a trilingal
Someone who speaks 2 languages is a bilingal
Someone who speaks 1 language is a merican ???? 

English.jpg

Why all the American bashing? I am American. Upon high school graduation we had to have studied a foreign language. I am sure you will be shocked that Thai was not offered, a fact that most TV posters (especially Khun Yinn, whose written English is bar girl level at best) will find astonishing. I, personally speak only 4 languages. Not proud of that. I should speak more. I am sure that, due to your arrogance, that you must speak multiples of 4. So, how may 8, 12, 16?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My experience, based on around 12 years of living and working in the US, is that the average US male doesn't wash his hands before or after using the bathroom, either at home or when dining out. There's a very, very valid reason why one should avoid the complimentary small bowl of peanuts, bar mix or chips provided at the bar or at the table while you wait for your entre's.

Other nationalities and genders please feel free to post your honest opinions on how your fellow countrymen and women observe public hygiene.

You are unfortunately right

some progress have been done in the right direction, but it's slow

and according to my observations (Nothing like a scientific survey of course)

around 50 % of french males don't wash their hands after using the bathroom

18 minutes ago, rexall said:

It is easy to see why this meme had "legs" and went "viral"  (Is 45K reports considered viral?)  However, it doesn't make a lot of sense if you look carefully:

1. Ironically, the message on the chalkboard was obviously written by someone who had a native or near-native command of written English. Good for them!
2. There is the underlying assumption that people are complaining about Thai's poor English.  Is that true? Who exactly is complaining?  How has the meme author experienced that personally? Have people been coming into the restaurant in droves and complaining?  "Hey you servile Thai! Bring me another Leo, and by the way, your English sucks!"
3. "Don't complain about our English if you can't speak THAI"  So, I guess that means if you can speak Thai, then it is OK to complain about their English. Right?
4. As OPs have pointed out, doing business with a clientele who speaks a different language from yours puts the onus on you to adapt to the customer's language, not the other way around. That is, presuming that you are serious about doing business, like the customers cash, and would like to see more of it.  
5. Perhaps it is chauvinistic and unfair, but I don't think universities across the world have long waiting lists and standing room only for Thai Language classes.

Admittedly it is rude to rude to point out and complain about someone's use of language. Considerate people don't do that. On the other hand, on average, Thai's English proficiency is extremely poor compared to practically all the other countries in the region. I say that as someone who has lived, worked and taught English in Japan, Korea, China, Singapore, and spent time in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Cambodia.  Sigh! 

3. No, that would mean if you can speak Thai, that you should speak Thai.

If you had trouble figuring that much out, it is way too much trouble to wade through your other points. Many of your other points seem to be based on the flawed conclusion that you know how many English speaking customers they have. 

Edited by sucit

On 1/20/2020 at 11:56 AM, Yinn said:

Jingthing live in Thailand right? 

many years. How your thai language skill? Is difficult learn second language yes? 

You know about how ask for something polite thai language right? Can read thai?

When I work the hotel Phuket before have very angry Aussie scream at taxi driver. They said the place want to go wrong way, so he take them wrong place. 

They so impolite, refuse pay him. They say to me “F idiot, why he not speak English??” 

I answer that if he can know second language he will get high wage job more than be taxi driver. Ask them “taxi driver in Australia study all the language for help tourist? Or not?” 

IMO eglish speaker never learn second language is most impolite. (USA, Aussie, NZ, England). And speak to quickly.

Usually German, Italy, Holland, Korean, Chinese very polite about language misunderstanding. Because they understand it difficult. Have experience.

I'm English and never leant a second language at school .How're for father said that it was not necessary as English would be spoken all over the world. But I do speak Thai a little .(poud Thai not noi)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Most of those roughly only speak "english" to begin with, much let alone the comprehension of the language

Imperialists?  Of course! That is why China spends BILLIONS every year on public and private English instruction. That is why educated Chinese will return home after a 10 hour day at the office and have an hour or two of private English Instruction, and why children are made to study English in and outside of school, and why the Chinese government has had to mandate that school children may have English instruction no later than 9 pm.  Damn Yankee and Brit Imperialists!

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, rexall said:

4. As OPs have pointed out, doing business with a clientele who speaks a different language from yours puts the onus on you to adapt to the customer's language, not the other way around. That is, presuming that you are serious about doing business, like the customers cash, and would like to see more of it.  

Let me tell you what you have said right here.

A person is Italian, and opens up an Italian restaurant in Italy. He starts getting a few Thai customers in the restaurant.

The owner should then immediately send his entire staff out to get Thai language lessons?

I find it difficult to believe you are even being serious. 

Edited by sucit
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, smileydude said:

I think this sign is about having realistic expectations.  Both sides, Thai’s and English speakers shouldn’t be over sensitive or nationalistic about it.

True

however as a customer your ''job'' is to provide the money asked for 

the service you have

as an establishment owner your ''job'' is to provide the service and

make your customers feel at ease and happy.

I am not sure the sign is the good way to do it. Imo it's a bad signal sent to all

particularly the future potentials  customers, so in economic logic it's totally

counter productive, but TIT

(Be aware i am not saying the customers have all the rights

they need to adapt their expectations to the level of the establishment

and to the price they paid)

Both side need to stay courteous and civil. again the sign isn't the good way.

There are other ways to impact the ones concerned by the ''problem''.

If you are the owner, what about to talk to them directly when the problem happens?

If the problem happens too often. ask yourself if you are not an important part of the

problem, because you are rarely here, of you refuse to hire qualified staff because this could reduce yours profits and so on

This is how a business ''works''

you can have bad customers sometimes, it's unfortunately a part of the job

and you have to deal with it, 

but you can also be doing a bad job, and then it's your problem to change something,

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sucit said:

Let me tell you what you have said right here.

A person is Italian, and opens up an Italian restaurant in Italy. He starts getting a few Thai customers in the restaurant.

The owner should then immediately send his entire staff out to get Thai language lessons?

I find it difficult to believe you are even being serious. 

Well, believe it!  I'm serious!

You are twisting my words and distorting my simple,  point.

Obviously, if a business owner is getting only a few customers from a particular segment of the market--in this case, English speaking customers--he may intelligently decide it is not worth his time and energy catering to them.  If, however, that market segment is large enough, it would make perfect sense to cater to them, in this case having English speaking staff.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mauroest said:

if your main business is with English speaking people, then learn English !
Go to touristic cities in Croatia. A single waiter, an hotel receptionist, at B&B can speak four languages German, Croatian, Italian, English and in Dubrovnik Russian too.  It's a way to grow up your business

Let me just amend your statement "if your main business is with English speaking people, then learn English !" to read "if your main business is with English speaking people, then learn English, if you want to maximize profit and grow your business."  

And if you don't, up to you, lah!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sucit said:

3. No, that would mean if you can speak Thai, that you should speak Thai.

If you had trouble figuring that much out, it is way too much trouble to wade through your other points. Many of your other points seem to be based on the flawed conclusion that you know how many English speaking customers they have. 

"3. No, that would mean if you can speak Thai, that you should speak Thai."

I see.  If that is what it meant, why isn't that what it said?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, balo said:

And Norwegians, we don't want to end up in the same category as those pesky Brits and Americans.  

Yes, IMO, generally speaking, Norwegians people are lovely people. Polite.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Yes, IMO, generally speaking, Norwegians people are lovely people. Polite.

I've met about 1000 Brits, 500 Americans and 1 Norwegian.  Yes, the Norwegian was nice.  Of course 1/1000 was the worst and 1/500 was a little strange.....  and expats and tourists really don't represent their home country nearly as well as people think  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Have you been by any chance to the same school as prayut?

Do you know republicwrld/com is one of this site where they

choose to show only few of all the messages posted, so they can clearly

steer it in a way or another?

Or do you think it works like Thai visa forum, where everyone

can gives his position and where, usualy,  the things are much more balanced?

Edited by kingofthemountain

I find that most business establishments I visit in Thailand have staff that can speak enough English to get by. If the staff don't speak any English I certainly would not complain.

Yes, it might make good business sense to have staff who speak English, given that English has become the language of the international tourist. But if they choose not to do that, it's up to them. The customer always has the option to leave! 

That sign seems to suggest foreign visitors have complained. Who has complained I wonder? What type of person would do that? Can we assume it's only native English speakers complaining (Brits, Americans, Aussies, Kiwis etc.)? Or could it be Russians, Chinese, Israelis etc. who have gone to the trouble of learning English only to find it's not working for them? 

I'm genuinely curious to know the types of people who would complain about (low paid) restaurant staff not being able to speak a foreign language. Who are you?! 

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Have you been by any chance to the same school as prayut?

Do you know republicwrld/com is one of this site where they

choose to show only few of all the messages posted, so they can clearly

steer it in a way or another?

Or do you think it works like Thai visa forum, where everyone

can gives his position and where, usualy,  the things are much more balanced?

No, you wrong AGAIN.

That just one example.

Here some more. The only negative about thailand posts are from people same you on thaivisa.

Everybody else in world understand it.

https://yespunjab.com/dont-complain-about-our-english-if-you-cant-speak-thai-board-in-thailand-evokes-hilarious-replies/

https://m.dailyhunt.in/news/india/english/laughingcolours+english-epaper-laughcole/a+signboard+in+thailand+justifying+their+english+goes+popular+twitterati+comments-newsid-160611114?listname=topicsList&index=0&topicIndex=0&mode=pwa

https://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/don-t-complain-about-our-english-if-sign-in-thailand-goes-viral-twitter-reacts/story-0GWH3f1wMOvtX9omNDTVVJ.html

Etc etc..

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

ok obviously you still don't get it

ALL the links you have given are internet sites where the site choose

to show only few of the messages posted on twitter, so they can oriented

it in the way you want.

i am sure you like it but the world doesn't work like this.

Plus if you read, most of the message are posted by people who have no clue about

Thailand and wich should be probably the first to complain in the real life if the waiter

give them a kao pat kai when they have asked a kao pat koum.

But mai pen rai i give up here

you can bring a horse to the water, but you can not teach him how to drink

have a good night

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes and that’s why tourism is dying and tourists heading to neighboring countries , because everybody understand ????????????????

Your small hotel in Pattaya is dying. Pattaya is dying. 

But 39 million tourist. 

More than neighboring country. Thailand win.

europeans understand , this is why all business calling for Europeans to come back 

No

chinese and Indians also understand , this is why they need free visa to get them to come.

Why not.

so many come now 15 million. Do the paperwork is to much. Sabai sabai.

so basically all the tourists understand and this is why hotels , beaches , bars, restaurants are all empty ????

Pfffft And the planes and buses are full. People complain airport to busy, have to many Chinese tourist bus.

Phuket and samui airport not big enough have more plane come.

new airport in Phangnga to help.

walk outside, I think you will see a tourist. 39 million.

keep on doing the same thing with same mentality , working out really well so far

Correct, up and up. Really well, get more and more. Be 50 million soon.

i hope you learn to speak Chinese. For your customer.

Good luck.

971E69CC-9FE3-4015-A9AF-52A06F5A6B84.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2