Query time/labour for 110k km service?

topt

Need to get the oil changed etc. Mitsubishi dealer have quoted 5 hours for a 110k service. Triton is 8 years old.

I haven't been down to try and check exactly what else they are planning to do but it seems a little excessive. Any views on this?

The last service was at 97k when they changed the timing belt and that was only 8 hours labour all in.

Change your garage. You are being conned. It took 25 min: to change the T/Belt on my last Tuna that included the tensioners. Ok 1 hour if they are rubbish at servicing, 8 hours is a joke. Even if they change the oil and filter at the same time shouldn't equate to 8. More than likely 1.5 hours tops. Only allowing that as the car has to be on the ground to sort out T/Belt.

My last service two weeks ago took them 40 min: to change oil and filter. But they did a 60k check. Wheels off brakes pads 8 out and cleaned re greased and replaced. The 60k check was a freebee. Get lots of those at Toyota. 

My lump has only done 35k but it was a freebee so why not.

Edited by fredob43

At the last service for my 5 year old Triton (only 20.000 Klms) Mitsu tried to tell me that the next service is a major one and will cost 17,000 baht. Fat chance, I will just continue with an oil change and filter every year for 1500 baht.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

At the last service for my 5 year old Triton (only 20.000 Klms) Mitsu tried to tell me that the next service is a major one and will cost 17,000 baht. Fat chance, I will just continue with an oil change and filter every year for 1500 baht.

Timing Belt change maybe?

Edited by saengd

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Timing Belt change maybe?

Timing belt change was recommended at 100k which is what I had done last year. My memory says on newer models it is not even necessary but my memory could be wrong :smile:

6 hours ago, saengd said:

Isn't there something about the age of the vehicle OR the mileage that determines when that belt is changed?

So if it sat undriven in a garage for 5 years the belt would still need changing?

14 hours ago, giddyup said:

My Triton has done 20,000 klms, hardly think it's time for a belt change.

Mitsu might have a time limit on belt change, KM or years. Even so 17th is a joke. Belt change cost around 4th including labour & parts. Even if they add a full big service normally 40k. It would only add another 4th to the cost.

Am pricing that on what Toyo charge. Big 40k service is around 4th that's for changing engine oil 8lt full Syn: filter, rear/front axle splitter box and gear box oil + all the filters on a 4x4, They also change wheels around and check/clean brakes, lot less if it's 2 wheel.

Thank Buddha I got a Toyo Tuna.    

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Now it's out of warranty I think I'll wait for the 100K before worrying about it.

It only costs about 4k baht to replace, it's not a big job.

Have you ever bought a brand new pair of tennis shoes or sneakers at some discount outlet and two days after you started wearing them they fall apart because they were really old stock and the rubber and glue was no longer viable, I have? Imagine those sneakers are your timing belt! I don't mean to try and scare you but I have had a timing belt give way on me, it was ugly and very expensive.

11 minutes ago, saengd said:

Have you ever bought a brand new pair of tennis shoes or sneakers at some discount outlet and two days after you started wearing them they fall apart because they were really old stock and the rubber and glue was no longer viable, I have? Imagine those sneakers are your timing belt! I don't mean to try and scare you but I have had a timing belt give way on me, it was ugly and very expensive.

I bet it never gave away at 20,000 klms.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, saengd said:

But I bet it gave way at 5 years though. Hey, your choice, it's your ride.

Mine lasted for over 7 years and only changed it as there was 97k on the clock (recommended to change at 100k) and I needed a service. YMMV :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, saengd said:

But I bet it gave way at 5 years though. Hey, your choice, it's your ride.

I sold my Vigo when 11+ years old, had 130kkm on the clock, original belt, which must be changed at 150kkm.

If Toyota says change it at 150kkm, I am sure it is good for waaaaay more than that..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, saengd said:

Not at the Mitsubishi dealer in Pattaya which is I think where @giddyup would be getting his done.

See thread I started last year on this -

With that and full service I ended up paying 16k as also had to fix an oil leak.

This garage has serviced my car since new and never suggested a timing belt change after 5 years.......

On 1/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, topt said:

Need to get the oil changed etc. Mitsubishi dealer have quoted 5 hours for a 110k service.

Isn't there a lot more to a 110k km service than changing the oil?   Not unreasonable to assume that the "etc" that you seem to acknowledge needs to be done is chargeable, surely?

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Isn't there a lot more to a 110k km service than changing the oil?   Not unreasonable to assume that the "etc" that you seem to acknowledge needs to be done is chargeable, surely?

Not sure whether you are missing the point here. Of course other parts of the service are chargeable.

However as others have already suggested 5 hours seems overly long for what would be a basic service especially when they charge 540 baht per hour for labour......

For comparison I rang and spoke to the Mitsu dealer in Jomtien (near Ambassador) this morning and was told roughly 2 hours.........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, topt said:

Not sure whether you are missing the point here. Of course other parts of the service are chargeable.

However as others have already suggested 5 hours seems overly long for what would be a basic service especially when they charge 540 baht per hour for labour......

For comparison I rang and spoke to the Mitsu dealer in Jomtien (near Ambassador) this morning and was told roughly 2 hours.........

Plus, if servicing a ride took 5 hours the garage system would seize up....????‍????

20 minutes ago, topt said:
45 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'm not missing the point, you're the one who said that they wanted "5 hours for an oil change etc"!

Did the dealer that you're complaining about tell you that you would be charged for 5 hours labour or that they would want the car there for 5 hours?  Perhaps they wanted some leeway to be sure that they had time to do the work?

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I'm not missing the point, you're the one who said that they wanted "5 hours for an oil change etc"!

Suggest you re read my OP as that is not exactly what I said and if you do so carefully it should give you the answer to the next question you raised...........

On 1/21/2020 at 8:09 AM, giddyup said:

Now it's out of warranty I think I'll wait for the 100K before worrying about it.

Your car is 5 years old. Its done 20K. You want to wait until 100K to have a 400 Baht cam belt change. Good luck with that .  If your still alive , please re-post educating us how you got on.

14 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Your car is 5 years old. Its done 20K. You want to wait until 100K to have a 400 Baht cam belt change. Good luck with that .  If your still alive , please re-post educating us how you got on.

Don't talk rubbish.