UK State Pension Increases - trying to understand

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I would agree with the sentiment but I think that you will find that every government document regarding state pensions refers to it as a benefit.

The contributions made over the years were immediately paid out so unlike a private scheme there is no fund that you can claim on.

It is highly immoral that people paying the same contribution over the same number of years get a different pension based on where they live, unfortunately we are all well aware that morality is sadly lacking in Westminster.

Some who has never worked, never made a contribution provided they have registered with the DWP will receive the same pension as some one who has made all the relevant contributions.

In fact assuming they have no savings they will also qualify for ‘top ups’ making them better of than some one who has contributed to the system.

The State pension cannot be stopped or reduced if you commit benefit fraud!

The following is from the DWP website!

https://www.gov.uk/benefit-fraud

Benefits that cannot be reduced or stopped
The following benefits cannot be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud:
Attendance Allowance
Bereavement Payment
Bereavement Support Payment
Child Benefit
Child Tax Credit
Christmas Bonus
Disability Living Allowance
Graduated Retirement Benefit
Guardian’s Allowance
Industrial Injuries Constant Attendance Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable)
Industrial Injuries Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable)
Personal Independence Payment
State Pension
Social Fund Payments
War Pension Constant Attendance Allowance
War Pension Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance
War Pension Mobility Supplement

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 2
On 1/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, Kwasaki said:

You can get increases all the time I beleive if you do 6 months Thailand 6 months UK.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

You worked all your life for it and your own government decides where you have to live ! Isn't it great?

22 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

You worked all your life for it and your own government decides where you have to live ! Isn't it great?

Similar Healthcare, you pay into the system all your life then you can be denied treatment or have to pay at 150% of the cost of the treatment if you decide to move abroad and you can be classed as not ordinary resident.

If you apply for a Spouse Visa have never lived in the UK around £400 NHS Fee and all your treatment is free after that, how can that be right.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

Well we can't do anything about what govts decide to do.

When I came Thailand my wife was able to get a % of of govt pension apart from other things but that's all done away with unless we live in UK, which is something we wouldn't want to do.

Recently IPC stopped my pension because I hadn't sent back a "Life Form" which they allegedly sent in Sept '19 and they told me when I telephoned them they have sent another "Life Form" in Jan '20 which I haven't received either.

There incompetent IMHO they have my email and my mobile & house phones numbers.  

The common misconception is that past tax/NI contributions go into some sort of fund and then current pensions are paid from that. They don't. Taxes paid by today's working population pay for the pensions retirees are receiving today.

I know of a fair few, mostly Thai women who are retired in the UK worked cash in hand paid little or no tax throughout their working lives, sent cash back to thailand  via the underground money service and have property in LoS . They now have full benefits and housing benefits , council flats and houses dental treatment and all the rest. Nice little earner UK has been very good to them for sure. The last place they would ever want to retire to is Thailand !

Edited by URMySunshine