Blood bank - Storing Own Blood

dinga

G'day

The plea for Oneg blood for a fellow resident farang in urgent need of surgery, and the lack of availability of that/my blood group, got me thinking. 

Is it possible to build up a supply of own's own blood in Thailand, to be used in an emergency?  If yes, how can I get more information?

Tks (BTW I am unable to help that bloke as I've previously had cancer, and my blood isn't accepted since then ) 

You can pre-donate for yourself a couple of weeks in advance of elective surgery but otherwise no. Donated fresh blood has a limited shelf life.  Maximum 6 weeks and many would advise discarding after 3-4 weeks.

What can work is "walking blood banks" i.e. make an agreement with others of same blood type to donate for each other and keep their contact details on hand (including with whomever would act on your behalf if you were unable to).

Great - thanks Sheryl.  Sounds like a register that is very much needed - any idea about who could be enlisted?  Red Cross would be the obvious organisation to keep the register - with the farang community widely, and routinely canvassed for input.

Thanks - understand Sheryl, but that wouldn't seem very effective, and I guess is why we see urgent calls for donations of particular blood groups in emergencies.  

OK - as an old work colleague used to regularly say "pull up the ladder Jack, I'm on-board"