Gentle Warning To Songkran Revellers.

p1p

I love the stories about how American soldiers "ruined" Song kran way back when.

I salute you: You are a LIVING LEGEND! :o

We were the AUSTRALIAN soldiers who ruined Songrkan way back then - it was my guys from Oz when we were attached to the US forces. Our CO and the main batch were US but I think we Aussies hold responsibility for it.

Was a great time though - I wonder if I can get a fire truck out from the local village council depot for the weekend :D

CB

My first visit to Chiang Mai was in 1975. I was here during Songkran week, after doing a tour of the GT. What I remember most, was that NO ONE was ever immune, even back then. The cops used to carry S & W or Colt .38 Special handguns, back in those days. They would wrap their blue steel (prone to rust) revolvers in plastic bags, before holstering them. No 'Super Soaker" water rifles back then. But have you ever been hit by a water balloon, launched by 3 maniacal Thai youth with a giant slingshot made out of old inner tube bands?!?!!! If you took a walk anywhere, people would drop a bucket of water, or a water balloon from the 2nd or 3rd floor of the then typical Chinese shophouse architecture, that made up most of the downtown, before it was modernised. It was crazy back then, too...

Edited by mcgriffith

I am still really trying to get holf of the fire truck from the council depot though :o

I'll ride shotgun! :D

I'll put you up top as #1 on the hose

I wonder how long we would last until shot by the police as water terrorists?

CB

That's the great thing about Thailand.

Everyone would be laughing so hard that they wouldn't even think about stopping us! :o

Especially if we targeted the farung tourists - with loud speaker blaring at 45,000,000 Decibels -"soak me with a super soaker will ya'"

Me thinks will have to settle for a bucket at John's bar instead

CB

And please, don't get me started on those insipid 'Baby on Board' signs on the back of cars (as if I WAS going to crash into the back of them EXCEPT that now I know there is a BABY ON BOARD)...uh oh...what if the car is in the parking lot with it's windows rolled up...oh no!!!

Love those signs don't you. The height of crass idiocy. People just have to drive close enough to read them and never see the brake lights when doing so. Whoopsie!

Even worse are those pictures of half herrings - but we won't go into that.

I used to have one of those signs in the back window of my Mustang that read "This car aims for 'Baby On Board Signs'". I got the occasional bit of flak for it but it was my own little rebellion. :o

And please, don't get me started on those insipid 'Baby on Board' signs on the back of cars (as if I WAS going to crash into the back of them EXCEPT that now I know there is a BABY ON BOARD)...uh oh...what if the car is in the parking lot with it's windows rolled up...oh no!!!

Love those signs don't you. The height of crass idiocy. People just have to drive close enough to read them and never see the brake lights when doing so. Whoopsie!

Even worse are those pictures of half herrings - but we won't go into that.

I used to have one of those signs in the back window of my Mustang that read "This car aims for 'Baby On Board Signs'". I got the occasional bit of flak for it but it was my own little rebellion. :o

If I can get this topic back on to thread and the fire truck out of the depot without anyone noticing it missing - we can use it to launch a counter strike on anyone we think may have a baby on board sign just to help you out. Or just aim for the babes and try to get them on board the truck - whatever works at the time.

CB

The baby on board signs were originaly intended to let emergency rescue people know that a very small person was somewhere in the vehicle should the parents both be unconsious after a wreck. There were some accidents were when the parents came to in the hospital and started asking how their baby was, the fire department had to rush back to the wreck and dig the dead body of the baby out of the glove box etc. The general public misinterpreted the purpose of the signs.

The baby on board signs were originaly intended to let emergency rescue people know that a very small person was somewhere in the vehicle should the parents both be unconsious after a wreck. There were some accidents were when the parents came to in the hospital and started asking how their baby was, the fire department had to rush back to the wreck and dig the dead body of the baby out of the glove box etc. The general public misinterpreted the purpose of the signs.

You are correct that the intended purpose of the signs had a serious purpose but it was based on an urban myth about a baby left in a vehicle.

What CDNVIC is referring to, is that these people never remove the sign and seem to use them as an excuse to push ahead as if the car had a "baby on board - take extra care" aura around it. I have seen numerous vehicles careering around at god awful speed and aparently no regard for selfpreservation and the BoB sticker emblazoned across the back window.

CB

I love how back home a minivan with a family will be going 90mph on the highway and I get pulled over doing 80mph because I drive a mustang. Usually they have those signs too... I always ask the cops, so why didn't you pull over the minivan, you know the one going faster than us both, the one without Z-rated tires and more likely to crash at these speed...

On a side note I didn't see anyone get hurt in my area today, so thats reasons to be even happier today! :o

You are correct that the intended purpose of the signs had a serious purpose but it was based on an urban myth about a baby left in a vehicle.

What CDNVIC is referring to, is that these people never remove the sign and seem to use them as an excuse to push ahead as if the car had a "baby on board - take extra care" aura around it. I have seen numerous vehicles careering around at god awful speed and aparently no regard for selfpreservation and the BoB sticker emblazoned across the back window.

CB

Agree CB. Well said!

Edited by Contractor