Health officials warn of possible coronavirus outbreaks in Thailand’s most popular tourists destinations

webfact

"The health office in Chiang Mai said on Monday (January 27) that the Public Health Ministry had instructed provincial health offices to stop reporting the numbers of suspected and confirmed coronavirus cases and wait for the official announcement from the ministry

after China announced a ban of all flight to the province after February 7. "

Perhaps it is my ability to read Thaiglish that leaves wondering what this really means.

It seems to me to read that the announcement was made after the ban was announced but does not say no new info will be released before Feb 7. Info should only come directly from the Health Ministry, not province offices.

Edited by aguy30

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

weeks ago eight people were arrested in China for spreading misinformation about a new virus.

Who where they? The original eight doctors who discovered the virus.

Then China stonewalled for weeks while the virus spread all over the world.

In a Sky News skype call with a American based in Wuhan who had a close call with USA officials (you can guess which ones …) they had said him the USA source said they expect the highest contagion by ...April … says it all I guess

Let's hope it never mutate to airborne …. 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, aguy30 said:

"The health office in Chiang Mai said on Monday (January 27) that the Public Health Ministry had instructed provincial health offices to stop reporting the numbers of suspected and confirmed coronavirus cases and wait for the official announcement from the ministry

after China announced a ban of all flight to the province after February 7. "

Perhaps it is my ability to read Thaiglish that leaves wondering what this really means.

It seems to me to read that the announcement was made about the ban was announced but does not say no new info will be released before Feb 7. Info should only come directly from the Health Ministry, not province offices.

Reports are normally published here: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

For some reason Thailand is delayed with their 29th jan. report. Meaning the 14 infected here is figures from a couple of days ago.

Whatever the annoncement means, it seems clear that they are holding back their numbers. I fear that is because they do not look very good.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who inspected screening procedures at Suvarnabhumi airport on Wednesday said Thailand was “100 precent in control of the situation”.

And now he is ill and must stay home with fever. 

• Haha 1

100% under control huh. The only 100%-competence you gits are capable of is incompetence.

Malaysia and Singapore (I think) have closed their borders to arrivals from China. Or Chinese arriving from China. Something like that. Thailand can't do the same? Oh wait, tourism money and that all-important arrival figures are more important than the health and well-being of Thais and the general public.

Business as usual indeed!

Edited by outsider

11 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Reports are normally published here: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

For some reason Thailand is delayed with their 29th jan. report. Meaning the 14 infected here is figures from a couple of days ago.

Whatever the annoncement means, it seems clear that they are holding back their numbers. I fear that is because they do not look very good.

From the report

3. The Disease Situation in Thailand

On January 29th, 44 passengers met the criteria of patients under investigation (PUI),
raising the total number of PUI to 202 people. Of those, 31 PUI were detected from the airport
screening. 165 people sought medical services on their own at hospitals, including 105 PUI at
private hospitals, 60 PUI at government hospitals and six PUI at others (a hotel residence, the
Erawan medical center, a local university and a tour group). Among all PUI, 109 are admitted at
hospitals, including 69 at government hospitals and 40 at private hospitals, and 27 are in isolation
rooms for healthcare providers to monitor their clinical signs. 66 cases recovered from their
illnesses and returned to their homes. Laboratory results identified the novel coronavirus
2019 in 14 cases.

Edited by aguy30

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

No mention of Pattaya? 

Meanwhile, Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who inspected screening procedures at Suvarnabhumi airport onWednesday said Thailand was “100 precent in control of thesituation”.

If you werent worried before ..........

He is now sick with a fever. Posted today.

His words might bite him on his behind.

5 minutes ago, aguy30 said:

From the report

3. The Disease Situation in Thailand

On January 29th, 44 passengers met the criteria of patients under investigation (PUI),
raising the total number of PUI to 202 people. Of those, 31 PUI were detected from the airport
screening. 165 people sought medical services on their own at hospitals, including 105 PUI at
private hospitals, 60 PUI at government hospitals and six PUI at others (a hotel residence, the
Erawan medical center, a local university and a tour group). Among all PUI, 109 are admitted at
hospitals, including 69 at government hospitals and 40 at private hospitals, and 27 are in isolation
rooms for healthcare providers to monitor their clinical signs. 66 cases recovered from their
illnesses and returned to their homes. Laboratory results identified the novel coronavirus
2019 in 14 cases.

Backlog: ' There are 144 cases in which laboratory results are pending'. It was 102 in the previous report. 42 of the 44 new cases have joined the backlog, which must now be several days long. That's why the 14 diagnosed isn't budging. 

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Edited by DrTuner

17 minutes ago, khunpa said:

It’s already been posted that the health office was ordered to not report new cases.

We won’t know the truth now. The numbers will be whatever the government needs them to be. 100% in control of the virus they are.

Edited by dcnx

2 minutes ago, dcnx said:

It’s already been posted that the health office was ordered to not report new cases.

We won’t know the truth now. 

Public Health Ministry had instructed provincial health offices to stop reporting the numbers of suspected and confirmed coronavirus cases and wait for the official announcement from the ministry

it would appear Thailand hasn't wakened up to this yet - hint, take a long hard look at China - it started with one infected 

be very interesting to see what the WHO say later today after their 2nd emergency meeting - I have a feeling it will not be good and generally ignored by Thailand 

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

No mention of Pattaya? 

Meanwhile, Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who inspected screening procedures at Suvarnabhumi airport onWednesday said Thailand was “100 precent in control of thesituation”.

If you werent worried before ..........

they have already been told screening doesn't work which is why the WHO have an emergency meeting today

People infected and spreading this virus are showing no symptoms which makes it extremely difficult to deal with - why has China locked down millions of people and huge areas of the country - they seem to be getting it

18 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I didn't find any verification of that, got link? If that happened, the way they are doing it is by not releasing lab results, the backlog keeps on growing. I think WHO is pressuring Thailand to comply with the reports but that way they would be able to weasel out.

Edited by DrTuner

I wonder who paid who not to include Pattaya in the list of popular destinations ? ????

Also amazing that not one of the people in the photo is wearing a mask ! From my observation almost all Chinese visitors,

plus many others, are wearing masks !

Edited by phantomfiddler
addition of second phrase
  • Like 1

Thailand again as it's best: dont inform the people of the country and the tourists about the problems of this country a d the failure again of this government.  Awful!!

But yes at leats: every dementi let everybody know. Wrong information spread by officials!

3 hours ago, FlorC said:

Thailand admits it is 'unable to stop the spread' of China's deadly coronavirus as health minister warns more cases are coming.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7938887/Thailand-admits-unable-stop-spread-Chinas-deadly-coronavirus.html

I 'm sure everything is 100 % ok ... not !

Might help if they did like other Asian Countries and stop the Chinese spitters coming here... Oohh....forgot, money over lives any day!!????????????????

Edited by DPKANKAN
Spelling

Not confirmed but I've been told three students in my area hospitalised and quarantined and said to have it. I live just outside of BKK and definitely not a tourist spot. Lots of students across Thailand went to China for Lunar New Year. I think their sitting on the true number. Maybe we'll never know but if it takes off they'll have to come clean. Ofcourse they won't ask for help because it's 100% under control. Just like the big flood when the U.S. Navy offered to help but was rejected because it was 100% under control.

40 minutes ago, smedly said:

it would appear Thailand hasn't wakened up to this yet - hint, take a long hard look at China - it started with one infected 

be very interesting to see what the WHO say later today after their 2nd emergency meeting - I have a feeling it will not be good and generally ignored by Thailand 

I think you have misunderstood. They virus is under control in Thailand and can not spread here.

The list of people admitted to hospital waiting for their test-result is growing day by day, but that is just a minor detail. So no need to worry.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

One can only hope that there has been something lost in translation.

And the provincial health offices can't declare new cases by themselves but rather have to go through health ministry HQ.

Other than that would be truly horrific...and stupid

Not to mention criminal. 

3 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Stealers Wheel is the band that recorded and made popular the song "Stuck in the Middle with You".  

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right... does sound quite appropriate.

• Like 2