Thailand confirms first human-to-human coronavirus transmission, total number of cases now at 19

Jonathan Fairfield

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

My ex(now good friend) was going to Thailand to visit her ailing mother has been told if she goes to

Thailand she has to be quarantined for 2 weeks after arriving back in Australia.(she works as a nurse

in aged care) She had her flight booked already,so she has to cancel and loses $800.

Snotty from marketing didn't mention that little tidbit that I noticed.Did your ex's flight she booked go through China?If not then it my be a surprise for many.

12 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

My ex(now good friend) was going to Thailand to visit her ailing mother has been told if she goes to

Thailand she has to be quarantined for 2 weeks after arriving back in Australia.(she works as a nurse

in aged care) She had her flight booked already,so she has to cancel and loses $800.

I fully believe you but is there any reference to an announcement?  The only conclusion is world governments know something we don't.

World: Well?

China: It was an accident...

World: You left the lab door open, didn't you?

China: Sigh.

Edited by rabas

3 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

Maybe some wagers? How many members of TVF will die a terrible death due to coronavirus infection (and I don't mean liver failure due to coronabeer ingestion)?

1000 THB says 0.

My guess is that it will be whoever "Thanks" your post.

• Haha 1

Thailand Department of Disease Control has its new daily report out covering the period thru the evening of Jan. 31...

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/situation/situation-no28-310163.pdf

Most notably, in that report, it indicates that the backlog of potential virus patients for whom they're waiting for completed lab tests has risen substantially again to now 287 cases (up from 220 the day before), which is quite a backlog that's been growing rapidly daily for the past two weeks.

There are 287 cases in which laboratory results are pending.

And as for the burden on, and distribution of, actual and suspected virus cases at Thai hospitals:

Among all PUI, 221 are admitted at hospitals, including 113 at government hospitals (Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Nakhon Sawan, Ang Thong, Surat Thani, Phitsanulok, Lampang, Lamphun, Chiang Rai, Phang-nga, and Ranong), 12 at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Disease Institute, 96 at private hospitals, and 53 are in isolation rooms for healthcare providers to monitor their clinical signs.

As you can see from the above list, the spread of potential cases has reached far and wide throughout Thailand, and is not confined to just Bangkok, Phuket, etc.

As least as of yesterday's issuance of the Thai report, Thailand continued to have more confirmed virus cases at 19 than any other country outside of China.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Thailand, through extreme myopia, put itself into this position. By putting all of it's eggs in the basket of China, they opened themselves up to a tourism and economic tragedy of immense proportions. It was an inane decision, made by people with little to no experience in tourism, hired based on cronyism, or nepotism, and entirely without merit.

It is too late now. The Western tourists will not return, and the tourists with real money come here once, and do not return, for a dozen good reasons. Thailand still holds some allure for me. But frankly, if I had sufficient resources, I would look for alternatives too. The administration is simply way too inane, the weather seems to be getting hotter each year, the air seems to be getting worse, things are getting more expensive, and there seem to be no solutions coming from a nearly brain dead army, completely lacking in creative juice and vision.

I do feel bad for the Thai people. But, in a sense they allowed this devastation of tourism and the economy to happen. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the updated daily tally on the growing number of possible virus cases for which the Thai medical authorities are "waiting" for final lab results one way or the other:

Jan 19 -- 14

Jan 20 -- 8

Jan 21 -- 12

Jan 22 -- 15

Jan 23 -- 20

Jan 24 -- 22

Jan 25 -- 42

Jan 26 -- 54

Jan 27 -- 79

Jan 28 -- 102

Jan 29 -- 144

Jan 30 -- 220

Jan 31 -- 287

In the BKK Post yesterday, one of the government health officials said they'd have results on the backlog of potential cases within two days. No sign of that, or any decrease in the backlog, as yet.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's the updated daily tally on the growing number of possible virus cases for which the Thai medical authorities are "waiting" for final lab results one way or the other:

Jan 19 -- 14

Jan 20 -- 8

Jan 21 -- 12

Jan 22 -- 15

Jan 23 -- 20

Jan 24 -- 22

Jan 25 -- 42

Jan 26 -- 54

Jan 27 -- 79

Jan 28 -- 102

Jan 29 -- 144

Jan 30 -- 220

Jan 31 -- 287

In the BKK Post yesterday, one of the government health officials said they'd have results on the backlog of potential cases within two days. No sign of that, or any decrease in the backlog, as yet.

If you take the number of new cases every day and look at the difference in backlog between each day, it looks like they can only process a handful of diagnoses per day. Almost like they got one person doing them one by one.

I think we all need to accept that the cat is well and truly out of the bag and this virus is now global and the chance of even well prepared nations containing this is low to minimal. Now consider if this virus, as it will gets to or already is in Africa, South America, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and a whole host of third world countries this will over days/weeks become a certain global pandemic so masks, gloves or goggles are there to make you feel good but in reality are just a placebo. We will just have to accept that until an antiviral is made to combat this virus a large majority in all probability will get this virus at some time or another in the minimum 6 months to a year it will take to achieve and test an antiviral. Luckily it has a low death rate and an exceptionally low death rate among people with a good immune system so I would consider this to be a serious wake up call to all of the world to show just how unprepared we are for the big high death rate one. I'm a realist and if anyone thinks we cannot have a pandemic similar to the black death with our modern medicine they are seriously fooling themselves. Luckily this corona-virus appears to have a low death rate but a high infectious rating the next such virus could have a high death rate with a high infection rating which would seriously affect civilization. One good bit of news is the research into crispr gene editing which probably in the next 10 years make pandemics like this quickly recoverable/preventable.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Jan 19 -- 14

Jan 20 -- 8

Jan 21 -- 12

Jan 22 -- 15

Jan 23 -- 20

Jan 24 -- 22

Jan 25 -- 42

Jan 26 -- 54

Jan 27 -- 79

Jan 28 -- 102

Jan 29 -- 144

Jan 30 -- 220

Jan 31 -- 287

From above data I can tell you this is increasing exponentially: 14^x = 287. To solve for the exponent,  x(log14) = log287. We have x = 2.457/1.146 = 2.1439. And 14^2.1439=286.5

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, morrobay said:

From above data I can tell you this is increasing exponentially: 14^x = 287. To solve for the exponent,  x(log14) = log287. We have x = 2.457/1.146 = 2.1439. And 14^2.1439=286.5

Can you translate your above comment, or what it means, into something resembling English???   :biggrin:

• Haha 2

U.S. imposes entry ban into the U.S. for foreign nationals who've been in China in the prior two weeks:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51335278

Coronavirus: US bars foreigners who recently visited China

The US has declared a public health emergency over the spread of the coronavirus and said it would deny entry to any foreign nationals who have visited China in the past two weeks.

US citizens returning from Hubei province, where the outbreak started, will be quarantined for 14 days.

Almost 12,000 cases of the new virus have been confirmed, most of them in China, since it emerged in December.

And up to a 14 day quarantine for returning U.S. citizens who've been in the Hubei province in the same prior two week period:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-latest-updates.html

3:50 pm: Trump issues mandatory quarantine, denies foreign nationals entry

The Trump administration is issuing a mandatory quarantine for U.S. citizens who’ve visited Hubei province in the last 14 days and denying entry to foreign nationals who “pose a risk of transmitting” the virus in the U.S., administration officials said in declaring the coronavirus a public health emergency. “Any US citizen returning to the United States who has been in the Hubei province in the previous 14 days will be subject to up to 14 days of mandatory quarantine to ensure they’re provided proper medical care and health screening,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said.

And it looks like Australia today, according to the New York Times, announced a similar policy to the U.S. one banning entry of foreign nationals who have been in China:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced Australia’s temporary ban on Saturday, saying that “Australian citizens, Australian residents, dependents, legal guardians or spouses” would still be allowed into the country.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

U.S. imposes entry ban into the U.S. for foreign nationals who've been in China in the prior two weeks

It's just a matter of time when the newest province of China, Thailand, is added to the travel ban list.

• Like 2

Just now, DrTuner said:

It's just a matter of time when the newest province of China, Thailand, is added to the travel ban list.

I was kinda wondering which of two things might happen first:

--Thailand bans entry to arrivals from China, or

--other countries ban entry of arrivals from Thailand...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yep, I am about to book a trip and wondering if I will be able to return.

China asks EU for help with supplies
From CNN’s Yong Xiong in Beijing

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has asked the European Union to help China procure medical supplies, according to a Chinese government statement.

China is struggling to control the novel coronavirus outbreak. Its health system is on its knees, running out of beds and supplies.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-01-20-intl-hnk/index.html

And it's just 12k confirmed, only the beginning and health system already in tatters. Pandemic in the making.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Probably other countries banning arrivals from Thailand, because Uncle can't get his tongue out from between Xi's buttocks and the influx of Chinese fleeing to Thailand will only increase.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Not a ban but not widely publicised either. 

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

She should check about that, many USA airlines are refusing to fly to Wuhan and other areas of China with refunds being given because of the virus scare. The AUS airline may give her a refund if she staates her fear of the virus. Same as when Sars broke out I was given a change  of schedual for free and another time when there was civil unrest in a SA country they let me cancell a reservation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chinas-isolation-grows-as-virus-toll-reaches-259/ar-BBZx4r9?li=BBnb7Kz

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Probably other countries banning arrivals from Thailand, because Uncle can't get his tongue out from between Xi's buttocks and the influx of Chinese fleeing to Thailand will only increase.

Since Anutin broached the suspending China visa on arrivals proposal the other day, and then the PM apparently responded unfavorably to it, I haven't heard/seen anything further on the subject/proposal????

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Since Anutin broached the suspending China visa on arrivals proposal the other day, and then the PM apparently responded unfavorably to it, I haven't heard/seen anything further on the subject/proposal????

Anutin with knives keenly sharpened and perfectly positioned deftly inserting those keen edges for maximum political effect?

44 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

From which we can then conclude that the "utterly useless" factor of Thai diagnostics labs is 2.1439. 

You were trying to find the factor to estimate how the backlog would look like in the future? 

I'm not "trying" to find anything, given the data shown I determined what the exponential increase is. maybe this simple example  will help.  Two squared equals four. 2^2 =4. As previously shown the exponent can be found with this relationship:given 2^x = 4 . x(log2)=log 4 then solving for x that's .602/.301 = 2  And could you translate your post into something coherent?? 

Edited by morrobay
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

No they wouldn't, if infected persons sit at a taable in a restaurant/food court and immdeiately after they leave you wipe down the taable with alcohol  or other disinfectant then the virus is killed and will not be transfered to someone else who touches or eats at that table.  Hand rails and shopping carts can be wipes as well and maybe not 100 percent effective but will cut down on the spread. What is your idea, do nothing at all? Take no precautions?

The wife and I were out to a department store in BKK today. And, for pretty much my first time in a decade living here, I saw store staff running around while was there cleaning escalator railings and counters and other touchy surfaces pretty actively. Saw the same thing on BTS coming in at one of their stations with the escalator railings.

Though, I have no idea what kind of solution they're using for their "cleaning" or whether the same solution and towels get re-used and re-used 100 times throughout the day....

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

She should check about that, many USA airlines are refusing to fly to Wuhan and other areas of China with refunds being given because of the virus scare. The AUS airline may give her a refund if she staates her fear of the virus. Same as when Sars broke out I was given a change  of schedual for free and another time when there was civil unrest in a SA country they let me cancell a reservation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chinas-isolation-grows-as-virus-toll-reaches-259/ar-BBZx4r9?li=BBnb7Kz

No she booked only to BKK not China but on return she will not be allowed at her

workplace for 2 weeks.