Are you altering your behaviour because of the virus?

jvs

Are you kidding???  This has been a blessing to the super loser broke sexpats in Thailand who got tired of complaining about pollution, roads, girls, scams, double prices, inability to say hello in Thai, visa issues, and everything else you can think of.....

NOW they finally know other people in the world have it worse and blame the Chinese for all their problems.

They're super happy I'm sure and my goal is to not be like them in 10-years

19 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

You are quite right, keep it up and keep fit and if either or both of you get into a coughing fit just enjoy the extra workout!

19 hours ago, mike787 said:

Nope!  I just do the same as with thai girls - go bareback and enjoy.  Virus only kills you if your old or weak immune system, otherwise it's a flu shot - basically.  If it doesn't kill you, thailand's roads will. 

Exactly that.I see cheap hotels and flights now,so its of to enjoy a quiet holiday spot,that is normally quite busy this time of the year.????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beggar said:

I I had a very severe lung infection already when I was much younger. I don't want to repeat this experience and now it might be a very different story anyway because of my age. 

ditto...i had hooping cough as a rugrat and still remember the pain from coughing, don't want to repeat that

Edited by wombat

I am advising my clients to seriously consider requesting a waiver on the requirement to attend the bio-metric data collection centres. 

They are a serious risk of contamination.  There is no substantial reason for these tests as the information is recorded by the Thai authorities associated the Thai National's passport and Immigration Entry Control

We have called on the Australian Government and other National government to urgently reconsider the risk to public health associated with the data collection centre.  They should be suspended Immediately pending the outcome of the current situation related to the Coronavius

PRESS RELEASE

“Calls for the Australian Government and other agencies to review and suspend data collection centers in Thailand in the wake of the Coronavirus outbreak”

Mr. Anthony van der Craats, a Registered Australian Migration Agent based in Thailand, has expressed concern that these centers are a serious risk to public health and safety and has advised clients to reconsider attending the centees.

These centers collect and process bio metric data and visa documentation and attended by thousands of customers daily in a crowed building. Elevators, air-conditioning, un-sterilized environments, document and bio-metric finger scanning equipment are all potential sources of contamination and cross infection. Applicants who attend these centers then travel to Australia and other destinations. They are a greater source of infection than Air-ports.

My van der Craats said, “ there is no need for applicants to attend these centers. The information required can and should be sourced via other means. It is a case of over servicing of applicants for economic gain but in the process place the public at greater risk. Its also highlights the further risk of privatisation of government services if government can not act,

In most cases the information sought is already available and there is no need to collect this information. The Thai government collect bio-metric data when issuing passports to Thai citizens and Visitors to Thailand that do not have bio-metric data are processed on entry to Thailand.

There is no need for Australia to require Applicants to attend these mega centers. Documents can be scanned and sent electronically and they can share data with the Thai authorities..

The infestation and spread of the Coronavirus has added a new layer of public concern.

Previously there was concern of overcrowding and safety. The VFSGlobal center in Bangkok, which services other counties not just Australia, is located on the 28th floor of the Trendy Building. There are long queues and waiting times.

It is important that the Australian government ad other governments act now without delay to protect the public’s interest.

We expect Governments close airspace over conflict-zones this is no different

Much more can and should be done to limit the risk to public safety,

IT MUST ACT URGENTLY WE CAN NOT AFFORD ANY DELAY

Any person who contracts the virus, from attending these centers may have a case against the Government who could be held liable
Edited by OffshoreMig
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, khunpa said:

They seem to have changed a lot of their habits in Wuhan......

Strange, when it just an influenza.

If there was an influenza epidemic or pandemic, people would change their habits.  Influenza or Coronavirus can both be equally fatal for people with poor respiratory systems or who are already ill.  

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I'm staying in a lot more. Getting food delivery a lot more. 

So having food delivered by an unknown person and prepared then cooked by an unknown person that may have touched it or handled it and is infected is safer for you? 

I watch my food being cooked in a wok by a Thai lady I know who runs a small restaurant.   

That makes me feel safer about my food  - just my opinion.

I will not accept any food in styrofoam clam shell containers as I abhor the idea of styrofoam, so admit I have idiosyncrasies as well.  

Peace

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

No. I'm not worried. I even plan to go to the beach where a lot of the Chinese tourists are. BTW, If some hot Chinese girl wants to jump in bed with me, I won't say no. ????????????

Yes, some of those young chinese ladies are very sexy and lithe.  Alas, have tried, but failed to convince any that I could increase their enjoyment during their holiday in Pattaya. ????  Mai pen rai

21 minutes ago, khunpa said:

They seem to have changed a lot of their habits in Wuhan......

Strange, when it just an influenza.

This is not at the same level of regular influenza, the WHO does not act without caution or due cause. It is much more serious than that. 

Personally I try and avoid lifts and I maintain a higher level of hygiene at home , washing my hands, cleaning surfaces more regularly and trying to avoid use of lifts and the like where transmission can occur.  I do not go to bars or nightclubs and I am more cautious when shopping.  i will continue and advise this practice until the WHO (World Heath Organisation) lowers the risk level.  It is not just a risk to you but also to others including your family, friends and associates who are at risk. We all need to play out part and act responsibly.   I have noticed that some shops such as family mart and seven eleven provide hand wash free at the counter. A commendable practice. 

The greatest fear is Fear itself and not doing anything to minimise its spread.  Putting ones head in the sand and hoping it goes away is not the solution.  Maybe wearing a wet towel or a paper bag on your head helps.  - Douglas Adams

Edited by OffshoreMig

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

cancelled this months' trip to Pattaya with my girlfriend.

March trip to Bangkok on hold until some indication that the virus has stopped spreading.

staying out of enclosed clubs at night. 

preparing most meals at home and only eating in open air restaurants.

no unnecessary contact with massage women, hospitals, dentist, bank tellers, hotels, bars, theaters.

avoid areas in my town (Hua Hin where there was a confirmed case of the Corona virus) popular with Chinese. avoid Chinese where possible. Many in my trendy hood.        

no buses, taxis or other transportation where you share a enclosed space with others except my girlfriend's SUV.

wear a N95 mask while grocery shopping and at malls. minimize time in malls as much as possible.  

purchased 60 liters of bottled drinking water. 

6 packages of spaghetti

3 bottles of spaghetti sauce

20 cans of tuna fish

10 cans of mackerel

10 cups of instant noodles

32 fluid ounces X10 Almond Milk

.5 kilo Instant Oatmeal

200 grams instant coffee

5 packages of Dried fruit

2 bags of frozen fruit

2 loafs of 19 grain wheat bread frozen

refilled LPG tank

optimize all methods for paying utilities on line.

2 bags dried cat food. 

my house is subject to flooding and one year I could not leave for 36 hours so can't hurt to have some food around the house. 

Total overkill in my opinion. Why on earth would you cancel your trip to Pattaya? Nothing wrong here, just the chinese groups have stopped coming. The flag bearers still walk on Walking St but ther are no Chinese following them.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

So having food delivered by an unknown person and prepared then cooked by an unknown person that may have touched it or handled it and is infected is safer for you? 

I watch my food being cooked in a wok by a Thai lady I know who runs a small restaurant.   

That makes me feel safer about my food  - just my opinion.

I will not accept any food in styrofoam clam shell containers as I abhor the idea of styrofoam, so admit I have idiosyncrasies as well.  

Peace

Yes I think it's safer than going out to public places. Nothing is 100 percent. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

If there was an influenza epidemic or pandemic, people would change their habits.  Influenza or Coronavirus can both be equally fatal for people with poor respiratory systems or who are already ill.  

It is much more serious then the common cold and influenza, this virus stays in the body for life as does the HIV1 and Herpes virus.  It severally attacks the immune system and organs such as the liver, kidneys etc.

To understand and mimise the risk you need to be aware of the various epidemiological studies in the transmission of the virus. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

This is not at the same level of regular influenza, the WHO does not act without caution or due cause. It is much more serious than that. 

Personally I try and avoid lifts and I maintain a higher level of hygiene at home , washing my hands, cleaning surfaces more regularly and trying to avoid use of lifts and the like where transmission can occur.  I do not go to bars or nightclubs and I am more cautious when shopping.  i will continue and advise this practice until the WHO (World Heath Organisation) lowers the risk level.  It is not just a risk to you but also to others including your family, friends and associates who are at risk. We all need to play out part and act responsibly.   I have noticed that some shops such as family mart and seven eleven provide hand wash free at the counter. A commendable practice. 

The greatest fear is Fear itself and not doing anything to minimise its spread.  Putting ones head in the sand and hoping it goes away is not the solution.  Maybe wearing a wet towel or a paper bag on your head helps.  - Douglas Adams

"Personally I try and avoid lifts."

What if the lift is empty and your condo is on the 9th floor? 

im wiping cell phone with 70% alcohol when coming home, also washing hands and face and quick splash with the alcohol after.

soap and water is not sufficient for me these days.

a major culprit for me is touching things, and then handling food or touching mouth. the enclosed spaces dont bother me as much (as long as people dont appear to be sick)  because i have the air cushion there at least dissipating things.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

Not panicking ,but

1) keep inside unless very early shopping Tesco/ Big C opening time so limiting crowds (however some Chines seemed to have same idea GRRRR ! )

2) no FL.S or BG (postponing first times awting follw up)..) as they are the risk because meeting /frequenting to many peoples in short periods all over town !!

3) had always already 12 X 5 liters drinking water in supply 

4) cooked 2 day   deep freeze food supply for 2 months  as Backup emergency food ( all color curry's , spaghetti Bolognaise sauce +ground pork , rice and spaghetti in supply  

5 ) not wearing mask as that does only prevent spit would be spread , not for incoming danger any use (this as a mentioning only )

keep washing hands extra when bin out or contacted surfaces as ATM , doors fridges shopping places .

I Stay indoors and do some work on condo interior to keep bizzy besides Television and Computer 

Only worried I would/should need to fly E.U. in May/June and return !  

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

cancelled this months' trip to Pattaya with my girlfriend.

March trip to Bangkok on hold until some indication that the virus has stopped spreading.

staying out of enclosed clubs at night. 

preparing most meals at home and only eating in open air restaurants.

no unnecessary contact with massage women, hospitals, dentist, bank tellers, hotels, bars, theaters.

avoid areas in my town (Hua Hin where there was a confirmed case of the Corona virus) popular with Chinese. avoid Chinese where possible. Many in my trendy hood.        

no buses, taxis or other transportation where you share a enclosed space with others except my girlfriend's SUV.

wear a N95 mask while grocery shopping and at malls. minimize time in malls as much as possible.  

purchased 60 liters of bottled drinking water. 

6 packages of spaghetti

3 bottles of spaghetti sauce

20 cans of tuna fish

10 cans of mackerel

10 cups of instant noodles

32 fluid ounces X10 Almond Milk

.5 kilo Instant Oatmeal

200 grams instant coffee

5 packages of Dried fruit

2 bags of frozen fruit

2 loafs of 19 grain wheat bread frozen

refilled LPG tank

optimize all methods for paying utilities on line.

2 bags dried cat food. 

my house is subject to flooding and one year I could not leave for 36 hours so can't hurt to have some food around the house. 

Good point …. I thought I was the only doing that way (with few differences ...as Jomtien never floods ...lol )

Another one from the Survival group…

BTW  keep your cat(s) inside …. never know ho go caress them ,and you when comes back ...LOL

But I wonder what to do as I await a new laptop "Surface" clone from China ? lol 5555

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Personally I try and avoid lifts."

What if the lift is empty and your condo is on the 9th floor? 

I try and avoid lift,,  does not mean i do not use them.  I try not to touch the panel with my hands (First point of cross contamination) and I take note of the air quality. Obviously the bigger the building and large number of users the greater the risk. 

There are many epidemiological studies on the risks of infections and the source of contamination.

The BBC did an very interesting survey/video program using electronic recording , Your can google it is is worth watching.  if your over 50 and or have  precondition that makes you more susceptible than most. Obviously the risks go up.  Money changing hands and documents are a common source of cross infection.  Understand the risks and methods of transmission hopefully within a month the restrictions will be lifted.  The steps ee take now will shorten the period of heightened concern.

Edited by OffshoreMig
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ben2talk said:

We went to eat sushi, my wife wearing her mask also insisting my son wore his. He poked her sushi and she ate it - I told her that even with fifty masks on, if you touch a door and then poke your food you just instantly put the virus/bacteria from any of the last few dozen people who came out of the same toilet that you did.

Yes , just what I said t'other day .  EG.  shopping in Lotus, how many have touched the handle on the cart , how many then go into KFC , or if you eat at KFC then go shopping your greasy hands go on the cart handle. OK some would go and wash before eating but not many i'd wager,.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I am not worried at all and just live life as usual. I do have back-up water and food but that stands aside of this virus, enough for a few weeks / 2 months extreme.
As well charcoal, 5L gasoline, wood to burn, 300W solar panel + inverter + batteries, medical kit, medicine, 10 camping refill cans of cooking gas, flash light + 4 batteries. 

Most food can last without being in the freezer or fridge. Sounds like a lot but was actually very inexpensive via Lazada. 
Actually more concerned over water shortages, do also have a 1000L tank for shower etc though + 2 life straws (filtering dirty water to drinkable).

Having herbs in the garden helps too, rice, beans and tuna is easy to stock and gets one a long way too.
I do realise while writing my alcohol stock needs to be updated. If that is not enough I am likely to die anyway.

My god, its coronavirus. Not the zombie apocalypse.

I remember the first sars outbreak. Came back from business in beijing only to be told that I was to work from home for 10 days. 

Yes please.