Corona virus and Thai health insurance

Baht Simpson

I'm a Brit and I have just had my application for a Thai Elite visa accepted, and will be travelling to Thailand very shortly. Quite concerned about if the virus situation there worsens and how I would handle any medical expenses. Can someone recommend me an Insurance plan that would provide cover for the costs of hospitalisation etc. in the worst case? Do they cover private hospitals or just state hospital treatment?  Would they have an exception for this virus with new plans?

Thanks

On 2/4/2020 at 11:24 AM, Sheryl said:

You are far, far more likely to end up needing ICU care for a traffic accident, heart attack or stroke than you are for corona virus even if the outbreak extends to where you live.

I think the main question would be, does any particular person's Thai policy have a broad list of exclusions (they all have such lists) that would have some exclusionary language about epidemics/pandemics, etc.?

I looked at my exclusions list the other day, and didn't find such an exclusion.

Instead things like:

pre-existing conditions

STDs

preventive checkups

substance abuse rehab

Inoculations & Vaccinations

self inflicted injuries

injuries under the influence of drugs / alcohol

injuries from dangerous sports

injuries during war, protests, demonstrations, etc

Terrorism and radiation

But nothing I'm seeing about pandemics, at least for MY policy.

8 hours ago, RiverT said:

I'm a Brit and I have just had my application for a Thai Elite visa accepted, and will be travelling to Thailand very shortly. Quite concerned about if the virus situation there worsens and how I would handle any medical expenses. Can someone recommend me an Insurance plan that would provide cover for the costs of hospitalisation etc. in the worst case? Do they cover private hospitals or just state hospital treatment?  Would they have an exception for this virus with new plans?

Thanks

Coronavirus is the least of your concerns. Traffic accident (including as a pedestrian) are the biggest risk followed by other accidents and things like heart attack and stroke.

Most travel insurance will cover emergency medical treatment and also medical evacuation/repatriation if needed. Start by investigating travel policies issued out of your own country. Check the exclusions.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Coronavirus is the least of your concerns. Traffic accident (including as a pedestrian) are the biggest risk followed by other accidents and things like heart attack and stroke.

Most travel insurance will cover emergency medical treatment and also medical evacuation/repatriation if needed. Start by investigating travel policies issued out of your own country. Check the exclusions.

I'm not going short-term, but long-term, and travel insurance has a short-term timeframe limit, so I am looking for ex-pat health insurance within the country.

And while the flu, traffic accidents, are right now the bigger threats, this disease, has the potential to be like the Spanish flu, a far bigger risk. Of course, we all hope it gets contained and a vaccine made in time, but insurance is there for if the worst happens, not the best.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:36 PM, RiverT said:

Can someone recommend me an Insurance plan that would provide cover for the costs of hospitalisation etc. in the worst case? Do they cover private hospitals or just state hospital treatment?  Would they have an exception for this virus with new plans?

I use Bupa Global which provides an excellent level of cover for almost everything that could go wrong under normal circumstances.

It doesn't cover epidemics or pandemics and they are both listed as exclusions in the policy documents but the rest of the cover appears to be pretty comprehensive. good luck finding something comprehensive that also covers one off events like this, if you do please post the details and I will consider it myself.

8 hours ago, RiverT said:

I'm not going short-term, but long-term, and travel insurance has a short-term timeframe limit, so I am looking for ex-pat health insurance within the country.

Depending on your age there are many options for expat policies.

Internationally issued are preferrable to Thai issued and also give more choice (and for equivalent cover do not cost more, in fact the opposite). Best to work through a broker as they will provide you charts comparing the various options.

AA Brokers is good and while baded in Thailand eadily contacted by email.  www.aainsure.net

Be sure what you get (2) guarantees lifetime renewal (2) has direct billing atrangements with Thai hospitals.

My wife's Insurance broker just offered her Coronavirus insurance for 300THB as my insurance doesn't cover epidemic I said yes get but it turns out it's only available for Thai's not Farang so does anyone know if there is any other company offering insurance just to cover just Corona?

4 minutes ago, monkfish said:

My wife's Insurance broker just offered her Coronavirus insurance for 300THB as my insurance doesn't cover epidemic I said yes get but it turns out it's only available for Thai's not Farang so does anyone know if there is any other company offering insurance just to cover just Corona?

No reputable company offers insurance for just 1 disease.

I think a scam

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2020 at 1:18 PM, monkfish said:

My staff signed me up for covid 19 insurance less than a week age. It was done through my bank - Bank of Ayudhya and the insurance company is Dhipaya Insurance plc. 850 baht.

I just had to show my passport and work permit. (They get the 1 million baht if I die!!!)

On 2/10/2020 at 1:18 PM, monkfish said:

Frank does, but as Sheryl mentioned, it’s unclear what exactly would be covered. https://www.frank.co.th/en/corona-virus-insurance

also note the 1 million is IF you develop some serious illness resulted from corona , otherwise it’s 100000 but again does not say if it’s for hospital stay or treatment or both

I think people are mistaking life insurance with medicial insurance. Companies are selling life insurance and calling it covid insurance.

I can buy life insurance that pays out if I die, that is not medical insurance that pays for medicial costs associated with Covid.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BestB said:

Frank does, but as Sheryl mentioned, it’s unclear what exactly would be covered. https://www.frank.co.th/en/corona-virus-insurance

also note the 1 million is IF you develop some serious illness resulted from corona , otherwise it’s 100000 but again does not say if it’s for hospital stay or treatment or both

Does anyone know whether we can buy more than 1 insurance plan from different companies because we can't read the terms and conditions as it is all in Thai.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have an excellent Aetna plan.

Went to the office a few weeks ago they will provide 100% coverage for me for CV.

Cheap, what is covered, who knows insurance..

How much is your health or life worth?

Up to you.

April also sent email saying fully covered, but policy is little more than 800 baht per year ????

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have an excellent Aetna plan.

Went to the office a few weeks ago they will provide 100% coverage for me for CV.

Cheap, what is covered, who knows insurance..

How much is your health or life worth?

Up to you.

Do you know whether there an Aetna office in Chiang Mai?

Just now, EricTh said:

Does anyone know whether we can buy more than 1 insurance plan from different companies because we can't read the terms and conditions as it is all in Thai.

Frank is in English , but could not see the fine print .

i do not see why you could not buy more than one, but unlikely they will double pay, if anything use it as an excuse not to pay at all 

17 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

So is this Frank covid insurance legit or not? Can anyone help? Seems to good to be true, I’ve tried calling them but just on hold for 45 mins and gave up, costing me 100 baht for the time wasted 

Can also try AA Insurance in Pattaya, they have one the same price and cover but beware only 100,000 baht medical cover

27 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

So is this Frank covid insurance legit or not? Can anyone help? Seems to good to be true, I’ve tried calling them but just on hold for 45 mins and gave up, costing me 100 baht for the time wasted 

What is too good to be true about it