Corona virus and Thai health insurance

Baht Simpson

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Frank is in English , but could not see the fine print .

i do not see why you could not buy more than one, but unlikely they will double pay, if anything use it as an excuse not to pay at all 

This was answered by a former Insurance agent based on his experience in another thread.  Insurance companies exchange client details to avoid duplicate claims.  This can result in a dispute between insurance companies as to which company pays out, which can end up in neither company paying.

1 hour ago, Kemp87 said:

850 baht to cover me for medical expenses up to 1,000,000 baht? 

As already explained , read policy again and pay attention . 1 million is for treatment of a disease which you may develop as a result of corona. Actual corona treatment is up to 100000 just like all others . However should you be the unlucky one in a billion to develop some disease, I have  a feeling you will have hard time proving it was as a result of having corona ????

1 hour ago, rak sa_ngop said:

This was answered by a former Insurance agent based on his experience in another thread.  Insurance companies exchange client details to avoid duplicate claims.  This can result in a dispute between insurance companies as to which company pays out, which can end up in neither company paying.

Which is exactly what I said ????

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

Which is exactly what I said ????

I have a relative who is a Thai insurance Agent she recommended buying multiple COVID-19 insurance policies as the payouts are relatively small 100k for treatment 1m on death

and in fact she also bought multiple policies seems to be standard practice in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, monkfish said:

I have a relative who is a Thai insurance Agent she recommended buying multiple COVID-19 insurance policies as the payouts are relatively small 100k for treatment 1m on death

and in fact she also bought multiple policies seems to be standard practice in Thailand.

That advice from a Thai insurance agent doesn't surprise me at all, probably totally wrong

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Zero chance there will be multiple payouts or any payouts at all. 

if that was the case, people would take out cheapest policies from different companies instead of paying high premiums for 1.

so hospital would be getting paid double for the same treatment? Or she thinks they will split the billing ?????

say for a car, do you then get paid double to fix the same damage?????

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

That advice from a Thai insurance agent doesn't surprise me at all, probably totally wrong

She's been in the business for a long time over 10 years and very successful so for me I believe.
I know in the West it's not the case.
Do you know any experienced Agents in Thailand that claim the opposite?

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Zero chance there will be multiple payouts or any payouts at all. 

if that was the case, people would take out cheapest policies from different companies instead of paying high premiums for 1.

so hospital would be getting paid double for the same treatment? Or she thinks they will split the billing ?????

say for a car, do you then get paid double to fix the same damage?????

Do you have some experience in this in Thailand.
Anyways that's just my input do your research and make your own decision.

4 minutes ago, monkfish said:

She's been in the business for a long time over 10 years and very successful so for me I believe.
I know in the West it's not the case.
Do you know any experienced Agents in Thailand that claim the opposite?

i just know from experience their knowledge is wafer thin and if they don't know they guess and pretend its fact. Insurance usually doesn't work that way, but this is Thailand and things often make no sense

23 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Do you have some experience in this in Thailand.
Anyways that's just my input do your research and make your own decision.

Making double claims ? No.

but every Genuine policy you apply, first question asked is if you have an existing policy with anyone else 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:58 AM, Sheryl said:

Coronavirus is the least of your concerns. Traffic accident (including as a pedestrian) are the biggest risk followed by other accidents and things like heart attack and stroke.

Respected virologists are estimating over 80% will eventually get it.. Lower end estimates are at the 60% range. 

Of that maybe 1 in 5 needs hospital treatment.  

How you can say facing a global pandemic that the risk of traffic injury (what <1% per annum) is greater than the risk of corona hospitalisation (say 15 plus % this next year) is beyond me. 

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Do you know whether there an Aetna office in Chiang Mai?

I know there are a couple of brokers (falang) at the higher floors of Pantip plaza.  Not sure what they are selling now.

Edited by bkk6060

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If any company sells you more than one policy let us know

One per person.. so why not. 

I have a lot of great Thai family who have treated me with nothing but care and respect for well over a decade, my gift to them will be to cover everyone and add life insurance to the elderly ones. 

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

anyone recognize this logo or can read the text ?? 

Appears to be the cheapest 100k medical payout coverage I can find. Looking for 20 plus policies. 

crop.jpg

Sin Man Kong I think that's their website
https://www.smk.co.th/
I think they don't insure foreigner though.

Edited by monkfish

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I know there are a couple of brokers (falang) at the higher floors of Pantip plaza.  Not sure what they are selling now.

Sorry but foreigners aren't supposed to be insurance brokers in Thailand, probably illegal. Most jobs are reserved for Thai only.

Edited by EricTh

13 hours ago, Chicken Man said:

Dont matter what insurance you have once there are no ICU beds or ventalators left in the country. Look at Italy, first class health care and all free.... still cant help

This is exactly right. All these smug people with their expensive insurance policies need to realise we're just weeks away from a health catastrophe which will overwhelm the system in Thailand. Do you think any farang has any chance of a hospital bed when there aren't enough for Thais? Looks what's happening in Italy:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chicken Man said:

Dont matter what insurance you have once there are no ICU beds or ventalators left in the country. Look at Italy, first class health care and all free.... still cant help

This ????????
But also even if there was beds what will 100,000 realistically get someone? Maybe 1 or 2 nights max in very good hospital on an ICU? A government hospital I’ve no idea? 5 nights? It’s just guesswork. I guess I’m thinking down the line it may afford me some overpriced anti viral medication ????????‍♂️ People who go into intensive care seem to stay there for a while ☹️

Edited by Kemp87

On 2/8/2020 at 3:22 AM, ukrules said:

I use Bupa Global which provides an excellent level of cover for almost everything that could go wrong under normal circumstances.

It doesn't cover epidemics or pandemics and they are both listed as exclusions in the policy documents but the rest of the cover appears to be pretty comprehensive. good luck finding something comprehensive that also covers one off events like this, if you do please post the details and I will consider it myself.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:22 AM, ukrules said:

I think AIA covers it

Any updates on this topic, specifically the frank insurance. seeing lots of people in facebook groups etc taking out this coverage, but still very vague on the website as to what the coverage is.

Hello everyone, I am new.

The site https://www.frank.co.th/en
(where there is the page concerning the corona virus policy)
https://www.frank.co.th/en/corona-virus-insurance/checkout/payment?h=6cca9664a0a9e950986ec8b558e7eee0ec7082bed5363561fff02b4291444b2e0acead687f29cfde469d521622e9d18c2eb960e95355b3b2e7e6064172effdc8&x=35
has on the page for claiming compensation for personal accident insurance
https://www.frank.co.th/en/personal-accident-insurance/claims
the reference to this insurance site
https://www.dhipaya.co.th/#
where there is the page with more information on the insurance policy for the virus crown.
https://www.dhipaya.co.th/insurance/insurance.asp?ID=684&idMenu=636

I am Italian, I am not an insurer, and from the translation I managed to do it seems more like a life policy than an insurance policy.
But I would be happy to be proved wrong.

แผนกรมธรรม์ประกันภัยส่วนบุคคลคุ้มครองการติดเชื้อไวรัสโคโรนา.pdf