Coronavirus: Thai tourism ministry admits Chinese tourism now down 80% - losses in the billions

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

three areas most hit were sellers of products and souvenirs, hotels and food and beverage outlets,

Yet according to TAT, the Chinese account for 27% of tourists visiting thailand. 
So even all the Chinese stopped holidaying in Thailand, it would be a 27% drop in tourism,
And the Billions of baht come from an annual figure, not a 2 week total.
Peace

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Based on this government's actions this is a sound reason to make sure there voted out

Dream on. Half the folk round my neck of the woods don't even know who Prayuth is as they trundle along to the fields to burn some more sugar cane.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Peterbilt said:

Wow, those good news just continue to come. ????

Somm namm nah Thailand! ????

You focused only on Chinese (and Indians), now its "check bin" time.
I really wish that the tourism industry in Thailand finally gets the lesson it so well deserves.

What's the matter with you and Thailand?  ????

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thais don't get lessons, they simply refuse to learn. It'll all be blamed on bad luck or karma or some other BS. Brain failure.

have you realized that Chinese aren't coming because a pandemia and not because they no longer like Thailand? and this pandemia could arrive just under your home and say "TOC TOC time for infection!!!" 

PS if it is not a fake virus... ????

5 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

By just admitting this it became the perfect holiday destination again,

lovely people, quiet and relaxed, don't have to que up and no more spit on the floor.

Or footprints on the western-style toilet seat...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Millcx said:

OH yeah blame tourist decline on Corona virus .... They need to admit a bit more than that ... 

Well you know Thais, they're not to blame, unfortunately there's not enough farangs left to blame....... maybe those two spotted on Pattaya beach........... "Yes it's their fault "..........  Sadly i think this has been a necessary dose of Karma to sort the dung heap out........

I hope that this is just stating of fact and not whinging because as reported by Thai media hotel owners are making the Chinese sleep in the streets despite a booking. Restaurants are hanging rude signs demanding Chinese eat elsewhere.

Thai seem quite ok with it.

7 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I hope that this is just stating of fact and not whinging because as reported by Thai media hotel owners are making the Chinese sleep in the streets despite a booking. Restaurants are hanging rude signs demanding Chinese eat elsewhere.

Well that welcome turned sour quicker than BJ could ever have dreamed while making new immigration rules up. 

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:

Dream on. Half the folk round my neck of the woods don't even know who Prayuth is as they trundle along to the fields to burn some more sugar cane.

I just did a survey asking Thais if they liked Prayut they pronounced his name as Pry-At in the survey 100% of the people interviewed crossed their forearms across their chest with fists clenched     all 5 of them. :cheesy: Thais in general do know who he is they watch TV.

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Not to worry. According to some posters, the Chinese tourists are only one step above western backpackers and don’t spend any money here. So the ‘real’ loss is not 9.1 billion but 9,100 baht (drop in sales of mama noodles from 7/11. 

In Myanmar these Chinese tourist are called ZERO BUDGET TOURISTS coz they don't bring any money . All Inclusive trips paid already in China.

3 minutes ago, Burma Man said:

In Myanmar these Chinese tourist are called ZERO BUDGET TOURISTS coz they don't bring any money . All Inclusive trips paid already in China.

For group tours, the tour fare is always paid before travel is allowed. No travel agent will allow a customer to join the group if there are outstanding amounts to be paid. 

4 hours ago, zib said:

Deadly? Lol. Influenza killed ~600000 last year. That's 1640 per day. Corona needs to keep it up to beat that.

In what countries and what was the death rate the year before it is a preventable and curable virus if you catch it in time, unlike the corona that can multiply quickly

• Haha 1