Virologist says measures must be implemented for one year to address coronavirus

snoop1130

1 minute ago, englishoak said:

Literally Hundreds of vids are out there showing people dropping dead in China THEY ARE LYING TO YOU and they are deleting posts that reveal the truth.. this virus is far more deadly than they claim....

Someone from Wuhan has now explained that many of these people picked off the streets by medical workers are not necessarily dead. The nCoV2019 has been shown to also infect the heart (~7%  in early studies) and they are suffering from heart failure (heart not functioning correctly).

Viral heart infections are well known. In this case they occur because  nCoV2019 infects deep in the lungs closer to the heart.

• Thanks 1

Just now, rabas said:

Someone from Wuhan has now explained that many of these people picked off the streets by medical workers are not necessarily dead. The nCoV2019 has been shown to also infect the heart (~7%  in early studies) and they are suffering from heart failure (heart not functioning correctly).

Viral heart infections are well known. In this case they occur because  nCoV2019 infects deep in the lungs closer to the heart.

This is true 

Problem is there is no room in the hospitals and bodybags arnt stretchers, I know and can see the difference. People are going to 4 or 5 hospitals and being turned away and told if they dont have the test then they arnt positive... they have run out of test kits in most places..ambulances arnt being deployed for other conditions and problems and it all compounds things on an already over burdened system.

The killer is going to be an over burdened system to cope, people are unable to get the help they need when they need it, and so it spreads even more throughout the body.  

Its coping thats the main problem but it also makes things worse and gives the virus more chance to mutate and spread

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, monkfish said:

Well I am very relieved to hear that maybe you should tell China as they're on lockdown and probably overreacting.
I think a TV member said something similar on today mmm.

TVMs get the most relevant information from their magic beer and whisky glasses ? <deleted>...

14 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

so it's a disease for the old?

that could be a problem

we're not all young around here :crying:

Thailand has it's fair share of elderly people and most of them are lets be fair "not in the best of condition'

so the mortality rate if it takes hold could be quite high.

Japans over 60's equates to about 30% of the population... that's got to be causing some anxiety!

At 20% cumulative growth in cases each day I dont see how we have a year to implement measures.  Maybe thats the case in some countries like Australia that are implementing reasonable measures but certainly not the case for Thailand with its Baht before Health attitude.

• Like 1

Any guesswork based on statistics i.e. number of infected vs number of dead is completely meaningless. The only known facts we have is that studies in early patients have showed a 15% and a 11% mortality rate. On the bright side - (an inconclusive) study has shown that Asian men are far more likely to be impacted than women or whites/blacks - which could explain the huge numbers in China but relatively low numbers in other countries. We will know for sure in a week or two.

• Like 1

Whats missing is the nodal points of transmission, Where and how is the infection predominately being transmitted.  I think China is doing an amasing job under the circumstances.   I hate to think how bad it could be had they not acted when they did  It is still early days. 

5 minutes ago, JRUSA said:

I was told by the husband of a wife stuck in China that it is a man made virus. Got loose. Sound plausible?

I love a good conspiracy theory. Any more information? Was it the CIA or the Chinese equivalent that manufactured it?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I love a good conspiracy theory. Any more information? Was it the CIA or the Chinese equivalent that manufactured it?

Nothing like a good "conspiracy theory" to scoff at ???? "Governments would never lie to us ????

They love people that believe, think they call them "sheep' ?

Pure coincide:- 

"In January 2018, China's first maximum security virology laboratory (biosecurity level 4) designed for the study of the world's most dangerous pathogens opened its doors — in Wuhan.41,42 Is it pure coincidence that Wuhan City is now the epicenter of this novel coronavirus infection?"

4 hours ago, rabas said:

Here is another scientific study released by Lancet that correctly measured the death rate at 14.6%. Not sure how to say it more clearly.

Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China

You are NOT interpreting this study correctly.  At present, the "Confirmed Fatality Rate (CFR)" of nCoV is NOT 14.6%.  The death rate referred to in the Lancet paper was for a cohort of 41 cases that had gone on to develop serious complications (pneumonia and ARDS). 

Since only 20% of those admitted to hospital as "confirmed" cases of nCoV go on to develop serious complications requiring ICU care, the actual death rate for the virus (comparing deaths to confirmed cases) would be much lower than this.  In this cohort study, it is really comparing "serious complication" cases with deaths.

In order to know the Confirmed Fatality Rate (CFR) of any disease you must be able to compare total number of deaths against total number of confirmed cases.  You can not do this until the outbreak has played its' course due to the lag time of incubation.  It can only be known from a historical perspective, after the outbreak has peaked.  In the case of nCoV, that may not occur until April.

A far more informative white paper from Lancet has just been released involving a 99 case cohort study.  I'll post the link shortly.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

In order to know the Confirmed Fatality Rate (CFR) of any disease you must be able to compare total number of deaths against total number of confirmed cases.  You can not do this until the outbreak has played its' course due to the lag time of incubation. 

I believe I pointed this out with exquisite clarity in my post just below the first one.

As for to 41 cohort study, this was a closed study in that all 41 cases were either dead or recovered. Their outcome is known. You are correct about sampling issues, but, no one will ever have statistics on all the patients that never reported to a hospital or were not recorded correctly. Even today, numbers for the Spanish flu as mostly estimates. There will never  be exact figures, for 1918 or 2019.

Thus the 10% - 14% numbers now reported several times are useful working estimates. Much better than saying there is no problem, especially with the deep lung infections, heart infections, and new reports of cytokine storms in some healthy patients.

Edited by rabas

My daughter works in a hospital in Massachusetts USA, and I asked her whats the hospital doing about this coronavirus. Her response was normal precautions wash your hands and try to avoid people coughing and sneezing. In other words carry on your life just use normal precautions. I honestly dont know whats going on with this SCARE because I believe this virus is being overblown! The cold kills more people than this.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

It is promising to see an end point in April, but very troubling to consider what will occur between now and then, not only in China, but in all nations of the world because this IS a pandemic now by definition of the word, and how serious a one it will be depends on people making the right decisions, right now.

WH, was their projection of the April peak just for China alone, or for the world?

If for China alone, then all the other places and countries, including Thailand, are going to have presumably sequentially longer times to peak and resolution, because they were later starters in the process, so to speak.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Can't bump this link enough. People need to read this and pass it on.

That's a quite interesting and well written article...

I'd just have one comment on Teeranai's comment from Khaosod EN:

Now the Thai media has another option, to hear from Chinese people directly. From the perspective of Thai media, that benefits our coverage.”

When you get content from these kinds of Chinese sources, you're not getting content from "Chinese people directly." You're getting content and facts and spin from an entity and people under the control and influence of the Chinese government and its propaganda arms...

• Like 2

What are the chances of China telling the WHO the real extent of the virul spread ?

None, they tried to hide it from the outset (in which time they lost nearly 6 weeks of combat time) & just release whimsical figures to placate the rest of the world.

Stay safe folks, the next 6 months will tell

From the NYT today:

Experts warn they still lack enough data to say definitively how lethal the new coronavirus is. Many residents in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak and the capital of Hubei Province, believe the death toll is much higher than the official tally because people with flulike symptoms are being turned away by overstretched hospitals. The health care system in Wuhan is so overwhelmed that many cases have not been diagnosed because of a shortage of testing kits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

Sorry to go on here, but the real tragedy of this is that many people are going to needlessly die before April when the outbreak is expected to peak.  Considering that the estimated total number of infected people in Wuhan alone is 75,000 and possibly many more (according the the Lancet article I mentioned in previous post), the "serious complication rate" (those who are confirmed to be infected, and then go on to develop serious complications requiring ICU care) is considered to be 20% with nCoV.  The real danger is that with such a high number of suspected infections, the number of serious-complication cases requiring ICU care will outnumber the available ICU beds, and the medical care system in Wuhan will be overwhelmed, despite the highly publicized "token" construction of a couple of new hospitals.  When this happens is when the actual mortality rate (whatever it turns out to be once it can be calculated) will simply skyrocket!

49 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The reason is very clear.  They are hoping to somehow get a handle on things and don't want anyone from the outside to be allowed in to see what's really going, until they are able to do so...and they are failing miserably!

The NYT the other day produced a very interesting 4 minute video in which it remote video interviewed 3 Wuhan area Chinese residents -- a student, a doctor in an area hospital and a male resident, plus a 4th resident by audio only. The student is speaking in EN, but the female doctor and the adult guy are speaking Chinese with EN subtitles. It's well worth watching for an honest, uncensored take on what's really going on there. 

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/asia/100000006947043/wuhan-residents-coronavirus.html

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Experts warn they still lack enough data to say definitively how lethal the new coronavirus is. Many residents in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak and the capital of Hubei Province, believe the death toll is much higher than the official tally because people with flulike symptoms are being turned away by overstretched hospitals. The health care system in Wuhan is so overwhelmed that many cases have not been diagnosed because of a shortage of testing kits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

And the next paragraph in that article is:

Still, the number of people in China recovering from the virus is rising, suggesting that the treatment plan may be working. On Tuesday, 262 people left hospitals nationwide. The number of suspected cases has dropped for two days in a row. Officials said they were tracking 3,971 suspected cases, compared with 5,173 cases the day before.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

Still, the number of people in China recovering from the virus is rising, suggesting that the treatment plan may be working. On Tuesday, 262 people left hospitals nationwide. The number of suspected cases has dropped for two days in a row. Officials said they were tracking 3,971 suspected cases, compared with 5,173 cases the day before.

The phgs I quoted above were specifically in response to the prior posts in this thread on the subject of the mortality rate... this number vs. that number.

The part I posted wasn't intended to be any kind of summary of what's going on with the overall status of the outbreak, etc etc.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
12 minutes ago, SkyFax said:

The phgs I quoted above were specifically in response to the prior posts in this thread on the subject of the mortality rate... this number vs. that number.

The part I posted wasn't intended to be any kind of summary of what's going on with the overall status of the outbreak, etc etc.

And I was responding specifically to the OP where it stated:

"The country has to minimize the number of infected people for as long as possible, until the immune system can rid the body of the virus."