Woman relates horror ride in Bangkok taxi - he was falling asleep at the wheel but still drove on

webfact

Woman relates horror ride in Bangkok taxi - he was falling asleep at the wheel but still drove on

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: Dramatic escape jumping out of taxi

Picture: Sanook

A woman went on Twitter to relate a horrifying experience on Tuesday night in a Bangkok taxi on the Don Muang elevated Tollway. 

The woman stated in a Tweet that she had taken the cab to go home to Klong 1 north of the city.

But the driver had fallen asleep behind the wheel and hit the side barrier. 

But still he drove on weaving in and out dangerously as she tried to wake him by shaking him. 

When he regained his composure he couldn't understand why she wanted to get out. 

When he slowed she managed to jump out and was taken home by someone who stopped for her. 

It appears that the taxi was involved in a four car pile-up though the exact sequence of events was not clear from the Sanook report. 

The woman, who was not named, went to hospital for an assessment then reported the number of the taxi to police. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-05
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

No suprise !Many Bangkok taxi drivers from outside just rent a car and use it as a place to sleep and live. Working 20 hours a day !No Regulations

Except that it is a green/yellow one so is usually driven by the owner or a trusted relative. 

Have had them nodding off as many times as not. I always keep my eyes on them and make conversation with them or loud coughing noise. This is always late night/early morning. ALTHOUGH on the big Pattaya - Ekamai bus a couple years ago,...mid-day...we were in the front seats and the driver was nodding off. Spent 2 hours coughing, clapping my hands and smacking the seat. He kept mopping his brow with a wet rag and finally pulled over and bought a Red Bull. ????

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

But the driver had fallen asleep behind the wheel and hit the side barrier. 

But still he drove on weaving in and out dangerously as she tried to wake him by shaking him.

I'm sure he's not the only one who drives excessive hours.... 

A couple of years ago, I was in a cab to Suvarnabhumi at about 4am and the driver started drifting right, grazed the concrete barrier, and then bounced off and started driving straight again. He of course claimed that he hadn't fallen asleep, but no other explanation would be preferable ("I'm not capable of driving in a straight line" doesn't inspire much confidence).

He checked the body of the car after we arrived at the terminal, and remarkably there was no apparent damage, at least under the murky airport lights.

• Haha 1

Happened to me too once in a taxi late night in Bangkok on the elevated express way. He kept nodding off and the car began to drift across both lanes each time he did so.

Once we got off the express way, I had to cut the journey short and use another taxi. :saai: