Jomtiem Retirement Visa

Just to let you how it works at Jomtiem Immigration, after 4 visits, to secure a legal retirement visa and each time being informed that I would require more documents and being treated like a dog for  asking I've decided it's not worth it to me. I do wonder why they make it so difficult a process, but i think we all know why they do it. Funnily enough, a friend told me it's 11000 baht for a one year retirement visa extension or 21000 baht for a first time retirement visa, but that's the illegal way with no money in the bank. I do wonder though!!

NO problem for me really, I come 4-6 months of the year, the retirement visa was just a convenience, the 800000 baht is just as happy sitting in a bank in OZ, and I think the Thai property market will be OK without my input. I do feel sorry for you guys stuck for one reason or another in this place. Good luck all.

Peter

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have always had good and fast service there never ever a problem or question.

Extensions and 90 day never an issue.

Of course, I have all my documents in order, am polite, and don't dress/look/smell/act like a dog...

it's simple if you do the 800k method, it's difficult for them to find something to deny application even if you smell like a dog

• Haha 1

OP Peter....  your experiences do not match mine, on Retirement Extension number 12 or 13...never badly treated, occasional curtness or being made to wait too long! Mostly a reasonable experience. Is there more to your tale than you perhaps tell us? 

Reasonably dressed and not dragging something with her bum hanging out behind you? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

OP Peter....  your experiences do not match mine, on Retirement Extension number 12 or 13...never badly treated, occasional curtness or being made to wait too long! Mostly a reasonable experience. Is there more to your tale than you perhaps tell us? 

Reasonably dressed and not dragging something with her bum hanging out behind you? 

800k method? difficult for them to deny, they would if they could

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

800k method? difficult for them to deny, they would if they could

The OP also suggested 800k method!

They would deny it if I failed to qualify for some reason, that is their job. But they are certainly not scratching around and reading the rule book overly... my absence of a TM30 has not  been an issue yet! 

Edited by jacko45k
typo
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

The OP also suggested 800k method!

Just because you may not have had problems to date doesn't mean loads of others haven't had problems. I thought it was widely accepted now that they steer people towards using an agent (or direct) bung method when they find something they can use to deny

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Just because you may not have had problems to date doesn't mean loads of others haven't had problems. I thought it was widely accepted now that they steer people towards using an agent (or direct) bung method when they find something they can use to deny

I have a circle of friends who seem to manage it too. As to 'loads', aren't we discussing one, the OP? I have heard of those pursuing conversions of a TV or VE entry being steered towards agent use, and also those pursuing marriage extensions. But again, the subject of the OP is a retirement extension based on 800k on deposit. This is usually straightforward. The only hindrance might be proving one's address, or the money is not seasoned. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I,m another one who has never had a problem in the 6 retirement renewals through the 800k in the bank method.....possibly it,s because my paperwork is done correctly and I turn up there looking clean and tidy and speak politely.....give as you expect to receive :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, peterfotis said:

Just to let you how it works at Jomtiem Immigration, after 4 visits, to secure a legal retirement visa

So I assume that you are referring to a non-O visa conversion then. In which case I trust that each of your 4 visits was preceded by a border run. Correct?

Edited by OJAS
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, petermik said:

I,m another one who has never had a problem in the 6 retirement renewals through the 800k in the bank method.....possibly it,s because my paperwork is done correctly and I turn up there looking clean and tidy and speak politely.....give as you expect to receive :thumbsup:

I don't know why the old fellas always bang on about turning up clean and tidy as if that's likely the reason. The 800k should be straight forward. We know Immigration can be unhelpful especially the camp guy at the front, depends what mood he is in

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The 800k should be straight forward. We know Immigration can be unhelpful especially the camp guy at the front, depends what mood he is in

Yes, the Rottweiler, haven't had to deal with him for many a year. A couple of young girls on the desk every time I go issue the ticket. 

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just because you may not have had problems to date doesn't mean loads of others haven't had problems

Indeed we all have different experiences.

Since 15 years I am lucky; as I am Belgian no need to have any money in a Thai bank account, nor a mandatory monthly transfer for at least 65000,

I have always been treat correctly but I always visit government offices with trousers and shirt with long sleeves.

One minus point, one has to go back the next day to collect the passport and taking picture.

It used to be the same day, a while ago.

• Like 1

In 12 years never had a problem ,this year changed to Marriage as i did not want to HAVE TO  leave money lying in the bank if i did not want to ,needed a few more photocopies when there ,and it took a little longer ,everyone polite and helpful ,same with the 3 guys who came to our house . so why not for the op? 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

First visited this country 40 years ago,speak a bit of Thai, respect Thai people and law, present better than 99.9% of the Pattaya population even smell like a rose and got over my fascination with cheap Thai whores a long time ago. Found almost nothing but rudeness, misinformation and worst of all rudeness.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

it's simple if you do the 800k method, it's difficult for them to find something to deny application even if you smell like a dog

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Been here on extensions from Pattaya for fifteen years + now. Always used the monthly income method, never used the 800k in the bank.

I've never had a problem and never been 'steered' towards an agent or had any request for a 'direct bung'. Never had any of my documents questioned either. It's always been easy, quick and straight forward for me (and my mates). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

ive read of many retirees having 'problem free' visits at jomtien immigration-recently--myself included...i usually use the 800thb in bank method..

last november, i used 'combo' method= money in bank plus proof of pension income..

All my paperwork was accepted within 5minutes, come back next day for passport, then pay extra for multi entry, waited about 30 mins--all very simple..

I  dress tidy--my usual shorts t shirt and flip flops...

I always get treated decently like this-same at banks...

I  dont subscribe to the nonsense about 'dressing up'..

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You realise the rules seem to vary for each office and each IO?

Yes. I deal with the same people in Jomtien that the OP likely did. Sure, it wasn't that easy but they did provide a list of necessary documents, and I believe it took 3 or 4 visits to get it righ the first time, but we got there.

I did need to repeatedly refuse the "20k baht and we can do it right now" offer.

7 hours ago, peterfotis said:

First visited this country 40 years ago,speak a bit of Thai, respect Thai people and law, present better than 99.9% of the Pattaya population even smell like a rose and got over my fascination with cheap Thai whores a long time ago. Found almost nothing but rudeness, misinformation and worst of all rudeness.

So, no surprise you found the same at Immigration.

I guess you're just one of those farangs that Thais perceive dogs. Me, I've never had such a problem. I'm always treated nicely as a human except by drivers sometimes. They treat Thais the same. But we do have quite a few indignant, easily offended dogs posting here about some real or imagined slight. 

So, best to recognize that since you've always been perceived as a dog, and unsurprisingly were at Immigration as well, you always will be so in the future. And evidently your regard for the importance of your money to the prosperity of Thailand isn't shared by the Thais themselves. It appears they may think of it more as dog bones buried out in the garden, of no importance except to the dog himself. Now dogs do sometimes dig up their old bones and rebury them elsewhere. No one gets much concerned about it. 

Hence you may wish to rethink your doggy visits every 4-6 months of the year. Most of us perceived as humans who live in Pattaya 12 months of the year choose freely to do so because we enjoy the people and the place.

Edited by BigStar

44 minutes ago, BigStar said:

So, no surprise you found the same at Immigration.

I guess you're just one of those farangs that Thais perceive dogs. Me, I've never had such a problem. I'm always treated nicely as a human except by drivers sometimes. They treat Thais the same. But we do have quite a few indignant, easily offended dogs posting here about some real or imagined slight. 

So, best to recognize that since you've always been perceived as a dog, and unsurprisingly were at Immigration as well, you always will be so in the future. And evidently your regard for the importance of your money to the prosperity of Thailand isn't shared by the Thais themselves. It appears they may think of it more as dog bones buried out in the garden, of no importance except to the dog himself. Now dogs do sometimes dig up their old bones and rebury them elsewhere. No one gets much concerned about it. 

Hence you may wish to rethink your doggy visits every 4-6 months of the year. Most of us perceived as humans who live in Pattaya 12 months of the year choose freely to do so because we enjoy the people and the place.

Bigstar,

You have to practise you english comprehension, but thanks for your imput.

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

Yes. I deal with the same people in Jomtien that the OP likely did. Sure, it wasn't that easy but they did provide a list of necessary documents, and I believe it took 3 or 4 visits to get it righ the first time, but we got there.

I did need to repeatedly refuse the "20k baht and we can do it right now" offer.

This was pretty much my experience, except I really don't have to put up with their rudeness, I know they are busy, no excuse, if not wanted I'm off with my money-hopefully. 

Documents required for a retirement extension at Jomtien are straight forward. Could the OP enlighten us on what issues he was rebuked three times. Possibly a misunderstanding on OPs part as he states "illegal" extension which there is no such thing. 

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Documents required for a retirement extension at Jomtien are straight forward. Could the OP enlighten us on what issues he was rebuked three times. Possibly a misunderstanding on OPs part as he states "illegal" extension which there is no such thing. 

I let you figure out what an illegal extension is, I've been talking about a 100% legal retirement visa. If you could sort out the illegal visas the Thai goverment would be grateful but the bars of Pattaya would be empty. Your probably right, illegal extensions/visas don't exist.

11 minutes ago, peterfotis said:

I let you figure out what an illegal extension is, I've been talking about a 100% legal retirement visa. If you could sort out the illegal visas the Thai goverment would be grateful but the bars of Pattaya would be empty. Your probably right, illegal extensions/visas don't exist.

I know what you mean, however they are not illegal. More important, why did immigration send you away three times and what did they ask for on each ocasaion?