Thailand’s Tourism Council reports ZERO bookings following coronavirus outbreak

webfact

1 hour ago, Dannybigboy said:

And the Corona Virus is the final Nail in the coffin for Thai Tourism. Sad to say.  

Golden goose - check

Coffin - check

Eggs - check

TM30 - check

We're doing really well on this one. We just need brown envelopes and watches and Canasta!

6 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

This is pretty bad, even for hotels and holiday rental operators who don't cater exclusively to China.  For just about everyone in Chiang Mai for example, Chinese are about one third of everything.

Plus, other people from other Asian countries are also canceling, from Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc. 

So now you're down to about 50% .. and everyone is competing for that 50%, driving prices way down, so you end up with revenue that's perhaps 25% of normal.  

Can we expect statements from the girls now such as " I love you long time for 500 baht" hmmmmm - if so might be worth going and taking the risk eh guys ??

6 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

This is pretty bad, even for hotels and holiday rental operators who don't cater exclusively to China.  For just about everyone in Chiang Mai for example, Chinese are about one third of everything.

Plus, other people from other Asian countries are also canceling, from Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc. 

So now you're down to about 50% .. and everyone is competing for that 50%, driving prices way down, so you end up with revenue that's perhaps 25% of normal.  

I would not recommend anyone fly if they don't have to in the middle of a pandemic... and expect air travel (which brings most tourists) to absolutely crater worldwide.  Even with it's relatively low official mortality rates - it is not something to be trifled with.  This will last for longer than just the first quarter, I would not expect the situation to break until the middle of the summer at the earliest (more likely later in the year)... so there will be little if any good news on tourism for the rest of the year.

20 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Ah, the scowls and frowns.....yeah...why can't they put a coat hanger in their mouths and those questions! 'Why have you been here eight months out of the last nine on a tourist visa?' How dare they!!

Seems quite common when anybody on here is talking about the Thais.......

"Why have you been here eight months out of the last nine on a tourist visa?"

You have never been asked that question at the airport, neither have I nor has anyone else reading this topic so why imply that anyone has?

Neither do you know anyone who's spent eight months out of the last nine in the LOS on a tourist visa. It would not be permitted so let's keep things real shall we. Adding nonsensical posts to a topic serves no purpose at all.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 2

Just now, P100 said:

And then when Corona appeared, it was clear to every intelligent person what damage it will cause to Thai economy. There was a window of time when Thai officials could take aggressive proactive measures to keep the virus out and build a safe heaven for tourists who would be scared to travel elsewhere. They again chose to do not a thing, just deny problems.

There is no way to prevent the spread of the virus to Thailand only delay it for a matter of weeks or maybe a month.  Where you have tourists, you have people flying there in big petri dishes in the sky - the only way to delay longer is to absolutely close the border (which only closes the official path in) which would not only kill tourism (which would happen in any case) but also all trade... and would be even more damaging to the economy than the tourism hit.  There will be no safe haven for tourists...

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

No no no. Because of the concept of "saving face" which seems to control almost everything in Thailand, they won't make an about turn on previous decisions because they will lose face or be made to look stupid. Hence they won't welcome back the farangs, they will find another excuse, another thing to pin their hopes on, anything but admit that they were wrong. Even if that means damaging the country's economy further. Then they'll pat themselves on the back and say what a good job they did handling this crisis.

Saving face is holding the country back and has a lot to answer for. If they immediately scrapped TM30, 90-day reporting, and allowed as many tourist visits as you want per year, then that would have a quick impact and be a good first step to recovering from this crisis. Will that happen? Not in a million years. Thai logic is incomprehensible.

Admitting when you were wrong isn't just the decent thing to do, it allows you to make changes and progress and improve the country. But they's rather cut off their nose to spite their face than ever do so.

'Admitting when you were wrong isn't just the decent thing to do, it allows you to make changes and progress and improve the country. But they's rather cut off their nose to spite their face than ever do so.'

A selective paragraph, sorry SteveK. They are not alone in this attitude, sadly. My English ex. was just the same...it only took me 30 years to escape. However, I've found in my short time here to roll with the punches, as it were. I'm in a Central Province so I live with the locals, interact with officialdom only as absolutely necessary, enjoy being the only farang in the village and just make sure my paperwork is spot on for whatever official interaction I need to make. The I.O's are always polite and quick and I can't say a bad word about them...(so far? maybe, 5555).

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

As a long term Farang we used to take lots of trips either fly or drive somewhere for a few days spend quiet a bit of money, hotels, gasoline, food and drink over 3 or 4 days but we have stopped not been anywhere for a long time, how many people like me have done the same? 

i am one... less money now so less spending..after dead 800000 in the bank left me way down..baht to usd so now i am leaving next week after four years.. fell sad because i had always planed to live out my life here but what is the point...farang but a lot of money in this place but we are looked at as nothing now so better find place that i can at least have my money back and welcomed....such is life ... such is life in thailand now..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

"Why have you been here eight months out of the last nine on a tourist visa?"

You have never been asked that question at the airport, neither have I nor has anyone else reading this topic so why imply that anyone has?

Neither do you know anyone who's spent eight months out of the last nine in the LOS on a tourist visa. It would not be permitted so let's keep things real shall we. Adding nonsensical posts to a topic serves no purpose at all.

No I haven't. I've never been inclined to invite the question. Plenty of evidence in the archives here to back it up though. Check out Fridays and Saturdays. They're favourite.

When reality takes her bow and introduces herself on these sacred pages I shall join in with gusto. When nonsensical posts stop appearing on this hallowed turf I shall be enthusiastically cheerleading in my best and most glittery tutu. You're not making a good case for either with 'it would not be permitted...'

In the meantime........

• Haha 1

They've simply put too many eggs in one basket, causing them to lose their once famous teflon shield in the process.

Sooner or later that strategy was doomed to fail, not as quickly and spectacularly as with this unexpected virus outbreak, but doomed nevertheless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smudger1951 said:

I would normally be spending the UK winter months in Thailand. But the stricter criteria and internet application process has killed O visa & off farangs in large numbers. Registering your address and movements are a fine laden nightmare. LOS has shot itself in the foot. Any regrets ? ?

I guess it's not all bad then.

33 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Many Tourists are actually put off from a Holiday Destination when they hear its full of Chinese people.

33 minutes ago, Traubert said:

You got a source for that?

Not a tourist but I can say that is true for my friends and I

Edit Cake Monster wrote the top quote

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

The unfortunate thing about this will be many hard working Thais who are paid 10,000b a month will be out of jobs to support their families. This is really a very bad situation for these people, hope the government will help them out

they only have their government to blame for it, nobody else, just Prayut and his gang

• Like 1