Does Thailand have any 2 litre hatchbacks?

giddyup

I only see hatchbacks with tiny 1 and 1.2 litre engines now. What happened to the hatches with a bit of grunt? Couldn't, wouldn't have anything with less than a 1.5, don't care how many k's it gets to the litre.

Edited by giddyup

17 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

They seam to like bigger engine sizes in front of bigger ramming vehicles the pickup ???? 

Not really, my Triton is only a 2.5 litre, not that big when you consider the size an weight.

Not much available from Japan. 

Volvo V40 can give you decent power. Engine is solid and can be remapped to 300bhp, luxurious interior, safety is the best. You can pick them up used for about 650-700k now.

The VW gti mk6 has the 2.0 turbo engine. I actually modified mine to 430bhp. Very comfortable to cruise slow and crazy powerful when you want to go fast. See it for sale here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/608581776635463/

Edited by madhav
  • Like 1

Every car manufacturer has cars in their range, with rear opening doors. Some are small hatchbacks with 2Litre engines such as Mazda 3 and CX-5. Personally, because of occasional floods, speed bumps and rough roads, I bought the high wheel base Honda CVR 2.4litre petrol that runs on E20. Never had any problems with it in 6 years, still looks as good as new, despite having done a lot of mileage. There are many similar models sold by Toyota, Isuzu etc. All the cars, photos and Specs here: https://www.zigwheels.co.th/en/new-cars/

1 hour ago, Coremouse said:

There's a white wrx hatch near my block, looks brand new, not sure if new purchase or repainted. 

Also seen many BMW 5 gt on the streets looks great, but bulky with price bloated

Always fancy if Hyundai N are available in Thailand!

The Veloster sells for around 650,000 baht in Australia. Would buy one in a heartbeat if available here at that price.

2020-Hyundai-veloster-(2).jpg

2020-veloster-turbo-premium-11.jpg

• Like 1

Mazda 3 - 2.0L 160 HP standard on all trim levels

Ford Focus - 2.0L on older top trim level

But some hatchbacks now come with 1.5L with a turbocharger, achieving the same or better performance than their 2.0L counterparts. Examples:

Civic Hatchback - 1.5T 173 HP

Focus - 1.5T 180 HP

Wild card choice: MG6 "hatchback", 1.8L turbo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lloydyboy said:

Then what's the, quote "a bit more grunt" for then,  more noise? You could do that with any car,  just modify the exhaust ????

Grunt = HP, doesn't have to be anything to do with speed, just more power for climbing hills, overtaking etc. Give up while you're behind.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

More grunt from 2 litres 555

Buy something with a real engine, or if you are hopelessly in love with small powerplants best throw a large turbo on it so it can get out of its own way !

Unfortunately not too many hatchbacks come with a 5 litre V8, although the Holden Torana did.

LX-Torana-hatch-build-16-main-wide.jpg

• Like 1

Can’t understand the need for power, maybe compensation for something smaller in life.

i have had a Nissan Almera for almost 3 years.

yes low end grunt is obvious , but if you give it gas it gets up to speed in good time. 

1.2 litre engine, no problems on highways.

wouldn,t like it in the country side though.

Ram a 2 litre car into a wall at 120 there’s not much difference between a 1.2.

5 minutes ago, jonnodon said:

Can’t understand the need for power, maybe compensation for something smaller in life.

i have had a Nissan Almera for almost 3 years.

yes low end grunt is obvious , but if you give it gas it gets up to speed in good time. 

1.2 litre engine, no problems on highways.

wouldn,t like it in the country side though.

Ram a 2 litre car into a wall at 120 there’s not much difference between a 1.2.

We don't live in Thailand full time, but needed a car for when we are there (every year 2-3 months) about four years we bought a Mitsubishi Mirage which has a 1.2L motor. ,lust something to have while we are there, and not worry about living it at our Thai house for 9-19 months, 

It is a great little car, It takes as everywhere , often with four people in it, climbs mountains with no problem, never had a problem other than the passenger side mirror not automatically folding  when parking. 

We do 120kmph loaded with four people with no problem. how much faster would one want to go? 

We were thinking about moving here full time  this year that I retire from work,  and we might get a pickup truck for working around the house, and a small farm wife's dad left as when he died, But we are never selling the Mitsu.  WE LOVE IT. 

• Thanks 1

Engine size in regular cars is trending down because with today's modern electronic engine management systems as much power, if not more, can be obtained from a 1.2 as many an older 2.0 used to give.

Edited by Lancashirelad
  • Thanks 1

If you want power from a 2.0 engine, the A45 amg has more than 400hp and it weighs less than 1400kg. Awesome power to weight ratio.

I do understand the need to have a bit of power to overtake. I have driven a few underpowered cars and it can be scary when you put your foot down to overtake and nothing happens. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, madhav said:

Not much available from Japan. 

Volvo V40 can give you decent power. Engine is solid and can be remapped to 300bhp, luxurious interior, safety is the best. You can pick them up used for about 650-700k now.

The VW gti mk6 has the 2.0 turbo engine. I actually modified mine to 430bhp. Very comfortable to cruise slow and crazy powerful when you want to go fast. See it for sale here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/608581776635463/

Automatic ?

LOL (not the price either)