Radical changes to driving license renewal

BestB

Firstly do not shoot the messenger, just as confused as others might be.

took thai mate to renew his 5 year dl.

we are told   He must come 5 am to get the number only 60 people per day 

questioned the staff as renewal usually takes less than few hours.

told Thai and foreigner not the same, Thai must sit all tests including practical riding test and even pass the test to know how to operate bikes with remote as a key.

then were told as of April , no more 2 or 5 year license , only 6 months or 12 months.

i have not read or heard of such a change and when I renewed mine about 2-3 months ago was super easy.

anyone know of this new law of 6-12 months ? Or why thai must sit all tests but foreigner do not ?

Absolutely nothing I noticed.

This should have made big news?

12 months and practical driving test just for renewal?

This would finally make DLT offices break down.

Already overloaded now.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

You got wrong information or there was a misunderstanding.

Here an article from today on how to renew driving licenses, seems to be the same as always: https://www.autospinn.com/2020/02/driving-license-76825 (in Thai, but Google translate delivers an acceptable result)

I am only posting what staff said. Poor guy had to go in at 5 am and got out of there at 16:30. Went through all

the tests and all we got was thai and foreigners are not same and the reason why it’s so busy is because of upcoming change 

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Absolutely nothing I noticed.

This should have made big news?

12 months and practical driving test just for renewal?

This would finally make DLT offices break down.

Already overloaded now.

Totally agree and this is why I am posting . Nothing she said made any sense but he had to jump through alL the hoops and he was not alone, another 59 thai like him doing the same thing just for renewal

I renewed my d/l yesterday at a new government place in Central in Udon yesterday. Colour test, reaction test, & got it all done in 20 minutes, cost 505 baht.

Medical certificate was 200 from Wattana.

Was given a leaflet to get the license on my phone, but it doesn't work.

Edited by faraday

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

I renewed my d/l yesterday at a new government place in Central in Udon yesterday. Colour test, reaction test, & got it all done in 20 minutes, cost 505 baht.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

What is this medical certificate Faraday?

Got my license in Non Han 11 years ago. Have to renew this November.

Didn't need no medical stuff then. Are you sure? 

22 minutes ago, faraday said:

Sounds normal , same kind of procedure for me was about 3 months ago. For Thai as I explained not only different procedure but even

the price, more expansive 

I don't remember having to get a Medical certificate last time, but they asked for one yesterday.

At Wattana, they took BP, weight & height, a young female doc asked me if I was well, listened to my heart. All finished in 30 minutes including waiting time.

At the new government one stop shop in Central, you can pay water/leccy/ & ofc d/l. Very convenient.

2 hours ago, faraday said:

What?! No mandatory movies?!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, faraday said:

I don't remember having to get a Medical certificate last time, but they asked for one yesterday.

At Wattana, they took BP, weight & height, a young female doc asked me if I was well, listened to my heart. All finished in 30 minutes including waiting time.

At the new government one stop shop in Central, you can pay water/leccy/ & ofc d/l. Very convenient.

The Med/Cer came in around 18 months ago. As usual not all offices want it but that's the rule.

• Like 1

I recently converted my 2 yr licence to a 5 yr licence at Prakhon Chai. Maybe I was unlucky but what should have been a simple process dragged on and on. My  2 yr licence expired on Sunday the 5th Jan so on the Friday I went with all required paperwork (medical,Residence let, old licence, copy passport, copy visa, Wife ID, Housebook) to get the 5yr licence. Office was busy and I arived at 2pm. Was told after an hour I needed to come back on Monday before 9am or before 1pm. No problem
Returned Monday at 12.45 and again the office was busy. All applicants were put through the tests (lights, brake, depth + spatial) as a batch. I was held until last. Whilst everyone elce then went off to watch the video & some did the e test I got to sit and wait. All applicants were then processed and started to get their licences. By 4.15 I was still waiting and somewhat preturbed when the woman processing my documents disappeared off to the bank saying he she might or might not be able to process the licence. She returned at 4.45 and after checking her phone and a chat managed to process everything in 5 mins. Got my photo and cards (bike & car) issued 5 minutes later.
So over 4hrs waiting for a 10 minute job. Was the woman on a power trip ? Did she want a little tea money ? Was I just unlucky ? Was it really that busy ?  I don't know but for my next licence in 5yrs time I will choose a different office.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Got my license in Non Han 11 years ago. Have to renew this November.

Didn't need no medical stuff then. Are you sure? 

By the rules you don't need a medical certificate for 5yr to 5yr renewal.

Only needed for first application and renewal from temporary (2yr) to 5yr.

If a guy had to go through all the test (theory, driving) for "renewal" then his previous license is expired for more than 3 years. Void then, restart from scratch.

Still no other hint that there are dramatic changes.

30 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

I recently converted my 2 yr licence to a 5 yr licence at Prakhon Chai. Maybe I was unlucky but what should have been a simple process dragged on and on. My  2 yr licence expired on Sunday the 5th Jan so on the Friday I went with all required paperwork (medical,Residence let, old licence, copy passport, copy visa, Wife ID, Housebook) to get the 5yr licence. Office was busy and I arived at 2pm. Was told after an hour I needed to come back on Monday before 9am or before 1pm. No problem
Returned Monday at 12.45 and again the office was busy. All applicants were put through the tests (lights, brake, depth + spatial) as a batch. I was held until last. Whilst everyone elce then went off to watch the video & some did the e test I got to sit and wait. All applicants were then processed and started to get their licences. By 4.15 I was still waiting and somewhat preturbed when the woman processing my documents disappeared off to the bank saying he she might or might not be able to process the licence. She returned at 4.45 and after checking her phone and a chat managed to process everything in 5 mins. Got my photo and cards (bike & car) issued 5 minutes later.
So over 4hrs waiting for a 10 minute job. Was the woman on a power trip ? Did she want a little tea money ? Was I just unlucky ? Was it really that busy ?  I don't know but for my next licence in 5yrs time I will choose a different office.

Your post gave me a headache..????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

By the rules you don't need a medical certificate for 5yr to 5yr renewal.

Only needed for first application and renewal from temporary (2yr) to 5yr.

If a guy had to go through all the test (theory, driving) for "renewal" then his previous license is expired for more than 3 years. Void then, restart from scratch.

Still no other hint that there are dramatic changes.

In my mates case, the Thai guy, it expired 1 day before we went. As I  said, nothing she said made any sense or anything I heard or experienced myself , but even the price for license was different, for Thai it’s more expansive than a foreigner, with explanation that foreigners pay higher police fines.

Edited by BestB

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

In my mates case, the Thai guy, it expired 1 day before we went. As o said, nothing she said made any sense or anything I heard or experienced myself , but even the price for license was different, for Thai it’s more expansive than a foreigner, with explanation that foreigners pay higher olive fines.

Were you mistakenly in Tesco's.....????

• Haha 1