Entering Thailand again with a new and a old passport?

Soon I have to change my present passport to a new one and, because I am presently living and for some months in Vietnam. 

I wonder whether the old passport with the Thai visa extension together with a new passport can be used when entering Thailand again? 

Will the new certification of passport change by the Embassy in Vietnam also do for Thailand immigration when asking them to transfer my 1-year extension for

Thailand from the old passport to the new one? 

Thank you in advance for your kind suggestions...  

4 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

I wonder whether the old passport with the Thai visa extension together with a new passport can be used when entering Thailand again? 

Yes, but only if you have a Re-entry Permit for the extension. Show both passports to passport control and you should be stamped in for the remainder of the extension.

5 minutes ago, GeKoSc said:

Will the new certification of passport change by the Embassy in Vietnam also do for Thailand immigration when asking them to transfer my 1-year extension for

Thailand from the old passport to the new one? 

Technically it's not required as the passport was obtained abroad, but take the "certification" from the issuing embassy as some officers may insist on seeing it.

• Like 2

My experience was yes but that was about 3 years ago, presented both passports and he entered the stamp in the new passport. The problem came when I went for my next extension. There I was told that they needed the embassy to complete a form confirming that both passports belonged to the same person or some such nonsense. Of course 3 years is a long time here so god only knows what else they need now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Strange-normal practice says that as soon as a new passport is issued the old one will be made invalid-mostly by cutting a corner of it or stamping a few holes through it. But maybe different countries have different methods. I always had to bring the old one when I got the renewed one-and then it happened. This of course for pretty obvious reasons re fraud etc. If the old one has gone missing, at least in the registers it would have been made invalid-just as it had been stolen.

2 hours ago, pitrevie said:

My experience was yes but that was about 3 years ago, presented both passports and he entered the stamp in the new passport. The problem came when I went for my next extension. There I was told that they needed the embassy to complete a form confirming that both passports belonged to the same person or some such nonsense. Of course 3 years is a long time here so god only knows what else they need now.

The "letter" you refer to is to allow Thai immigration to transfer stamps if required.

For the OP he can reenter los with both pp if in old one he needs show reentry permit or something like a multi entry visa.

9 minutes ago, asanee said:

Strange-normal practice says that as soon as a new passport is issued the old one will be made invalid-mostly by cutting a corner of it or stamping a few holes through it. But maybe different countries have different methods. I always had to bring the old one when I got the renewed one-and then it happened. This of course for pretty obvious reasons re fraud etc. If the old one has gone missing, at least in the registers it would have been made invalid-just as it had been stolen.

Not sure what your trying to say. Yes old pp is invalid, but anything like a reentry permit that is in it remains valid. Hence point of carrying both. New one to show valid pp and old one to show valid permission of stay. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The "letter" you refer to is to allow Thai immigration to transfer stamps if required.

For the OP he can reenter los with both pp if in old one he needs show reentry permit or something like a multi entry visa.

You do not need the permission of an embassy to do that and for that matter you never did. It's just another loop to jump through. Just like an embassy is not concerned if you want to open another bank account with a bank you have been a customer with for the past thirty years nor are they interested that you want to renew your Thai driving licence and yet in each case you need to get the embassy to sign a form. As a friend of mine told me who works in the bank when you hand them a form they just throw it in a box and forget about it. Its fortunate that we don't need a TV licence or I am sure the embassy would need to sign a form for that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On February 8, 2020 at 6:51 PM, asanee said:

Your old passport may be cancelled and become invalid for use, but there may be things in the old passports that are not cancelled.

When I got a new US passport in Abu Dhabi they put a hole through the passport but before doing so asked me to paper clip any pages I didn't want punctured because they contained valid visas or permits, etc.

I had the same issue when I got a new US passport a year ago. In Phuket I handed over the new passport (with no stamps in it) and said "new passport." I showed her my old passport and she asked that I give it to her as well. She looked at the extension stamps in the old one and stamped the new one. I'd make sure you carry both the old and new passport for a while as you're traveling.

7 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I had the same issue when I got a new US passport a year ago. In Phuket I handed over the new passport (with no stamps in it) and said "new passport." I showed her my old passport and she asked that I give it to her as well. She looked at the extension stamps in the old one and stamped the new one. I'd make sure you carry both the old and new passport for a while as you're traveling.

From what you say that's because you (I assume) had a visa extension and a re-entry permit. I've never bothered to explain whether I have a new passport or not because I don't bother with extending my permission to stay and all that hoopla. Thai Immigration has never asked about or commented on whether it's a new passport replacing a previous one

I did exactly this, twice, a couple of years back. With a multiple re entry permit and my extension in the old passport. The new passport was stamped each time. I waited until renewing my extension of stay to get things transferred to the new passport. No Embassy letter requested then. The IO just did it. I think I paid something though for that though and given a receipt. Sakon Nakhon.

Not a problem.  I did exactly this only last week.  I had 9 months to run on my current passport and 6 weeks remaining on my retirement extension visa.  I went to the UK and got a new British (non European now since Brexit) Passport.  Got the new passport in 4 hours from Ecclestone Square.  Note now you have to book and pay online for this service.

My old passport was cancelled by the Passport Office (as you would expect) by curing off the top left corner, but my Thai Visa was still current inside.  When you enter Thailand at Suvarnabhumi, put your new passport details on the arrival card but where it says "Visa No." Use the number of the re-entry permit here.  Yes, as mentioned you will need a re-entry permit on your old/current passport before leaving the Kingdom.  On arrival, hand over the new passport with the landing card and show your old cancelled passport open at the page of your current extension and re-entry permit (to be helpful).  You will be stamped in your old passport and also in your new one.  The date you have to leave by will also be stamped in your new passport, and it will be the expiry of your current visa extension.

Then in a few days head to immigration with both passports and transfer what remains of your current visa extension into your new passport.  There is a special form for this procedure - i.e. transferring a visa from one passport to another.  Then once this is done, depending on how long your visa extension has left, you can extend for another year right there and then, or do it later as is your choice.  I would recommend doing it all and also getting a new re-entry permit all on the same day.  The you are up and running again for another year.

Can't comment on the Viet Nam thing as I have no knowledge of their long term immigration laws.  Hope that was helpful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frotting said:

Not a problem.  I did exactly this only last week.  I had 9 months to run on my current passport and 6 weeks remaining on my retirement extension visa.  I went to the UK and got a new British (non European now since Brexit) Passport.  Got the new passport in 4 hours from Ecclestone Square.  Note now you have to book and pay online for this service.

My old passport was cancelled by the Passport Office (as you would expect) by curing off the top left corner, but my Thai Visa was still current inside.  When you enter Thailand at Suvarnabhumi, put your new passport details on the arrival card but where it says "Visa No." Use the number of the re-entry permit here.  Yes, as mentioned you will need a re-entry permit on your old/current passport before leaving the Kingdom.  On arrival, hand over the new passport with the landing card and show your old cancelled passport open at the page of your current extension and re-entry permit (to be helpful).  You will be stamped in your old passport and also in your new one.  The date you have to leave by will also be stamped in your new passport, and it will be the expiry of your current visa extension.

Then in a few days head to immigration with both passports and transfer what remains of your current visa extension into your new passport.  There is a special form for this procedure - i.e. transferring a visa from one passport to another.  Then once this is done, depending on how long your visa extension has left, you can extend for another year right there and then, or do it later as is your choice.  I would recommend doing it all and also getting a new re-entry permit all on the same day.  The you are up and running again for another year.

Can't comment on the Viet Nam thing as I have no knowledge of their long term immigration laws.  Hope that was helpful.

i did exactly the same ,when got a new passport in Britain last time , no problem when re entering .