Married British TV presenter Schofield comes out as gay

rooster59

Married British TV presenter Schofield comes out as gay

2020-02-07T111156Z_1_LYNXMPEG160VF_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-PEOPLE-SCHOFIELD.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Television presenter Phillip Schofield arrives with his wife Stephanie Lowe for the Pride of Britain Awards in London, Britain October 30, 2017. REUTERS/Paul Hackett/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - British television presenter Phillip Schofield on Friday revealed that he was gay as he paid tribute to his wife of nearly 27 years.

"I am gay," Schofield, one of broadcaster ITV's biggest stars, said in a post on Instagram. "This is something that has caused many heart-breaking conversations at home."

Schofield, who hosts the long-running popular daytime show "This Morning", later told ITV : "This decision is essential for me and essential for my head. Every person I tell, it gets a little lighter and a little lighter."

Schofield, 57, said he had been unable to sleep and that he had gone through "very dark moments". He expressed sorrow at the pain and confusion he had caused his family, including his wife Steph and two daughters, Molly and Ruby.

"Steph has been incredible - I love her so very much," Schofield said. "My girls have been astonishing.

"Today, quite rightly, being gay is a reason to celebrate and be proud," he said. "Only by facing this, by being honest, can I hope to find peace in my mind and a way forward."

Schofield, who began broadcasting in New Zealand on the Shazam! music programme, became a household name in Britain by presenting BBC's children show "From the Broom Cupboard" alongside a hand puppet known as Gordon the Gopher.

He also played Joseph in the London stage show Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, taking over from Australian singer Jason Donovan.

"Every day on This Morning, I sit in awe of those we meet who have been brave and open in confronting their truth - so now it's my turn to share mine," he said. "Please be kind, especially to my family."

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-08
  • Haha 1

the list of those surprised and interested is perhaps a lot shorter than he was anticipating.

it might not be enough stimulate a dreary career; at least it gives him a new jumping record to play at dreary z-list/thespian get-togethers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

and all the progressive are patting him on the back and telling him what a brave man he is..

Just another "tool" that has been promoting & furthering "there" agenda! ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

"Schofield, who began broadcasting in New Zealand on the Shazam! music programme, became a household name in Britain by presenting BBC's children show "From the Broom Cupboard" alongside a hand puppet known as Gordon the Gopher. "

I have to say that the  last line of that  makes me laugh !

But that "He expressed sorrow at the pain and confusion he had caused his family, including his wife Steph and two daughters, Molly and Ruby." comes across as  quite selfish and  disingenuous if  he felt it  necessary after 27 years of  marriage to  go public. In these  days who would  care one way or the other except for the deception.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

and all the progressive are patting him on the back and telling him what a brave man he is..

while conveniently ignoring the fact that he's been lying to his wife and family for 27 years

so you want him to keep lying??  And do you really think his wife has been with him for 27 years and didn't have the slightest inkling he's gay? Starred on TV with a puppet? London theatre actor? Joseph with the rainbow-colored coat? she knew. it still doesn't make her pain any less, but at least now she can get to know the real him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Just another "tool" that has been promoting & furthering "there" agenda! ???? 

it is 'their' agenda... and what exactly is 'their' agenda then? I would point out that most homophobes hold latent homosexual feelings, but you would probably get offended ???? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CharlieK said:

I'd Just like to say, Who gives a ..........  

It's quite pathetic how these personalities seem to think they are scoring points by coming out. I guess being hetrosexual is a dieing trend certainly not going to get the publicity by being straight!

If you don't give a.... then why are you posting? Something to hide maybe ???? 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"Today, quite rightly, being gay is a reason to celebrate and be proud," he said.

Why is that then ?

Fair enough to consider it to be as sexual preference , but celebrating it and being proud is going a bit too far

• Like 2

Sexuality is not binary but a continuum; what he means is that he finds he can respond sexually to men and maybe that's a preference now. According to Kinsey it's a minority of people who under no circumstances can respond sexually to someone of their own sex, although probably only around one-third actually do so

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Sexuality is not binary but a continuum; what he means is that he finds he can respond sexually to men and maybe that's a preference now. According to Kinsey it's a minority of people who under no circumstances can respond sexually to someone of their own sex, although probably only around one-third actually do so

Good to know I'm in the minority then!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1