Airport and heavy coughing?

OneMoreFarang

Probably in a week I have to go on a flight to Cambodia for a couple of days.

Unfortunately sometimes I have a bad cough mostly related to the bad air pollution.

I checked this already with a doctor. It's not contagious and I have no fever.

Do I have to worry that if I have to cough in the airport that maybe someone will prevent me from flying because they panic about the coronavirus ?

Should I go a day or two before I fly to the doctor to get a medical certificate just to be sure?

• Like 1

How do you expect anyone to be able to give you a clear answer? A week from now it's anybody's guess what the situation regarding the corona virus will be: if it's worse then yes, you may get grief from the little Hitlers at Suwannaphum; if it's improving then chances are nobody will notice you, provided you cough into the crook of your arm and not over other people. It's really just your decision. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

How do you expect anyone to be able to give you a clear answer? A week from now it's anybody's guess what the situation regarding the corona virus will be: if it's worse then yes, you may get grief from the little Hitlers at Suwannaphum; if it's improving then chances are nobody will notice you, provided you cough into the crook of your arm and not over other people. It's really just your decision. 

I don't expect a clear answer.

I guess here are enough people who used a Thai airport in the last weeks. And maybe they know if the "health police" is very strict or if nobody really cares.

That will obviously not tell me 100% if they will stop me or not. But it will give me an idea about the situation.

In all seriousness though...I quit smoking for the new year and am now “clearing out”.  When I went for a massage, prior to the massage I explained to the masseuse that I wasn’t sick and was only coughing because of quitting smoking.

I still haven’t had a cig and the cough is going away...slowly

I know how you feel.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm a smoker and have a smoker's cough. Flew to Phnom Penh and back last weekend. No problems.

Thanks!

I am not a smoker but maybe I should buy a pack of Gauloises and put them in my shirt pocket. If anybody looks with that strange what's-going-on-look at me then I just wave the pack of Gauloises - I guess most people will understand that message. ???? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks!

I am not a smoker but maybe I should buy a pack of Gauloises and put them in my shirt pocket. If anybody looks with that strange what's-going-on-look at me then I just wave the pack of Gauloises - I guess most people will understand that message. ???? 

You can get cheap sleeves of Gauloises at the shop in the arrivals hall in Phnom Penh. Even cheaper on the way out in duty free. If you need a heads up on any other "smokers requisites" in Phnom Penh, feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

Talk to a pharmacist about cough suppressants. Maybe take a double dose which would numb the throat down to where you dont react to a coughing sensation.

I wouldn't worry about Suvarnabhumi. I came through earlier this week. It's a ghost town. You could easily find a spot with nobody around and cough to your hearts contents. The lines are very short too at all the controls.

The flight would be the issue. If you get a coughing fit in economy 30000 feet in the air you shall not be popular.

42 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Talk to a pharmacist about cough suppressants. Maybe take a double dose which would numb the throat down to where you dont react to a coughing sensation.

I wouldn't worry about Suvarnabhumi. I came through earlier this week. It's a ghost town. You could easily find a spot with nobody around and cough to your hearts contents. The lines are very short too at all the controls.

The flight would be the issue. If you get a coughing fit in economy 30000 feet in the air you shall not be popular.

As above.

PP airport won't be an issue either but on the flight people may get edgy.

Health Checks  when done are for fever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ricklev said:

Pick up some "Brown Mixture" at any Boots or Thai pharmacy and take a swig before going to the airport.  Opium tincture works!

https://decostrade.com/en/health-products/leopardbrandbrownmixture120ml/

Have it in some 7/11s too. Magic. One invention that Thailand can write home about. Leopard Brand (brown mixture)

image.png.11dd76a656e78f1b6cffa4e5b4aad35f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricklev said:

Pick up some "Brown Mixture" at any Boots or Thai pharmacy and take a swig before going to the airport.  Opium tincture works!

https://decostrade.com/en/health-products/leopardbrandbrownmixture120ml/

Thanks. I just looked this up and my conclusion is that is not good for me. 

It seems there is a big difference between Dry Cough and Wet Cough.

https://www.epainassist.com/chest-pain/lungs/differentiating-dry-cough-and-wet-cough

differences-dry-cough-wetcough.jpg

Above medicine is for dry cough which suppresses the cough. That is ok for dry cough.

But it seems its a bad idea to suppress wet cough. And that is what I have. So in my case I shouldn't take it.

Anyhow thanks for contributing. I am sure it will help some people with dry cough.

1 minute ago, NancyL said:

If you have a "wet cough" then perhaps you should be taking a 24-hour antihistamine to prevent post-nasal drip and allergic reaction to the air.  Several are available and a good pharmacist can help you.

Thanks

Today I visited the doctor again. He checked my chest and made a x-ray (no problem) and he gave me some more medication. Let's look how that will work.

And he gave me a medical certificate which I can show anybody who want to know at the airport.

And maybe I am lucky and the medicine works and in a week the situation is better.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

Today I visited the doctor again. He checked my chest and made a x-ray (no problem) and he gave me some more medication. Let's look how that will work.

And he gave me a medical certificate which I can show anybody who want to know at the airport.

And maybe I am lucky and the medicine works and in a week the situation is better.

sorry to hear your not well,  don't worry,  the chance of catching coronavirus is so small .... you've got more chance of catching syphilis  .... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

sorry to hear your not well,  don't worry,  the chance of catching coronavirus is so small .... you've got more chance of catching syphilis  .... 

I don't worry about that virus - I agree with you and the statistics.

I worry about the people who worry about the virus. Luckily my coughing does not happen too often. But I imagine if I am at the check in row and then the coughing starts for a minute. That might be "funny"...

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Rewritng my comment

Edited by GeoMill
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, GeoMill said:

The more of your comments I see on Thai Visa the more I realize we're dealing with an exceptional dim person. 

Syphilis and nCoV are spread in very diffrent ways. 

Syphilis spreads by direct contact with the chancres around the genital area's. Something which is easily avoided or even protected against. And in my situation the case of contracting the disease would be 0.0%

Coronavirusses are typically spread by aerosols or direct contact with body fluids from infected persons. The moment you're within proximity of an infected, you are at direct risk of being infected as well. Just think about Influenza. 

The ONLY reason why STATISTICALLY the chance of contracting nCoV is lower than syphilis, is because this disease has been around for barely over a month. Meanwhile Syphilis was discovered (probably been around longer) about 5 centuries ago.

In reality however, if you're in an area where carriers of both nCoV and Syphilis are, your risk of catching nCoV is way larger. Unless ofcourse you're at an orgy. 

Because of the (estimated) Ro rating of nCoV it could become as widespread as say, Influenza. Something Syphilis can only dream of.

I was having a joke with him in case you didn't realize .....   

oh never mind  !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Obviously we're in the dark because we don't know how bad or how loud your cough is.

But if you were on a long-haul flight with an airline based in the West, I could see the crew becoming very antsy in the current climate if you really started hacking away before take-off. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they asked to offload you.

Short-haul flight with an Asian carrier might be a diferent matter. Might not.

2 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

Just want to take the time to congratulate you on you achievement. This was no easy task for you, and you well deserve recognition. Good job! Any smoker, or even any daily drinker, can look up to you. Keep it up!! When I was a teenager, my boss used to say "Quitting smoking is easy, I have done it a dozen times". LOL

Thanks!  I hope it sticks this time.  It feels soooooo much better being able to breathe deeply again and not coughing for an hour when I lay down to sleep.  It was the combination of the pollution in BKK and cigarettes that did me in.  If I lived somewhere with clean air I might not have quit smoking.  So...the Bangkok “cloud” had a silver lining.  

Edited by Airalee

On 2/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, steven100 said:

I was having a joke with him in case you didn't realize .....   

oh never mind  !!

Hi Steven,

You need to make your jokes a bit more obvious as people here are taking you seriously.

For example, some people really believe that your admiration (worship?) of PM Prayuth is genuine, not just ultra-sarcasm.

• Confused 2