Will borders be closed?

Jeez, my post was full of mistakes. I was at Chaengwattana last Thursday and it seemed grim. This stuff is scary. I was 22 when I came here during SARS; I'm 42 now; not as  young and 'invincible'.

Thanks for the replies ubonjoe and moonlover

Edited by dayward1

In Thai news forum I found one very confronting post. His point was that if your living in Thailand and presented with symptoms. Obviously fever etc. Then tested positive. The result could be overwhelming for folk without health insurance. Even with it and even if small print did not exclude pandemic situations. 

Overstay would be least of your issues.

I am not scaremongering. 

Some folk including myself have planned for return home country if health situation arises. This however in a new ballpark.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dayward1 said:

@nausea I thinks it has taken off. Not going to mention anything here as it's the visa section, but Laos has 0 confirmed cases. If I was a leader, I'd like to keep it that way,

Laos along with Myanmar and even Cambodia have VERY limited way of testing. But yes not visa related directly.

• Like 1

@DrJack54  Actually contracting it would be the worst. I'm hoping it will subside with the flu season. 

I can't unimagine the money that could be made by making 'westerners' get a direct flight home or face fees and consequences. 

**Headline: Thailand closes all borders with neighboring countries; Only outbound flights are with BKK and Thai Airways; The only inbound flights are from....

Overstay fines will be doubled as will punishments.

Edited by dayward1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, dayward1 said:

I'm curious, with Thailand still accepting flights from China, how long it will take for neighboring countries to close their borders to Thailand.

I sincerely hope they don't. I have flights booked to Vietnam on 2 March for a Non O application.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

I sincerely hope they don't. I have flights booked to Vietnam on 2 March for a Non O application.

Have you been to China recently? Vietnam has closed the books I think. Thailand is the only cuntry in the region still accepting flights.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Going there next Friday 14. Will give you update. Thinking you fella got denied entry bkk. Maybe a mix up. 

Saigon for non o ?. Good joint good consulate.

49 minutes ago, nausea said:

Yeah, it's a possibility if the thing takes off. Thailand won't do it but other countries might. Anyway, we'll know in the next 14 days or so, the incubation period - inviting thousands of Chinese visitors, crazy or what?

And since the Thai don't take it serious at all it sure is all possible.

They don't wear mouthmasks around here, still grab raw meat with bare hands in supermarkets, still have uncovered food everywhere in busy places, don't have desinfectional soap in shops....it's waiting for a disaster and if you want to go out the best is to go now i think.

• Like 1

My first answer was somewhat abrupt. But there is a point I'd like to make. Thailand is a member of ASEAN and as such I think it would be unprecedented for it to close its borders on its neighbours or vice-versa. Introduce extra controls if deemed necessary, but not close them.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In Thai news forum I found one very confronting post. His point was that if your living in Thailand and presented with symptoms. Obviously fever etc. Then tested positive. The result could be overwhelming for folk without health insurance. Even with it and even if small print did not exclude pandemic situations. 

Overstay would be least of your issues.

I am not scaremongering. 

Some folk including myself have planned for return home country if health situation arises. This however in a new ballpark.

trust me they will treat you with or without money

what else could they do?

leave you downstairs infecting everybody?

leave you outside infecting everybody?

send you IDC and infect everybody?

deport you whilst infecting everybody? who would fly you?

quarantine you until you die or recover?

barricade you in your house and weld the doors closed?

shoot you?

i think they'll just treat you ????

then maybe deport you ????

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

trust me they will treat you with or without money

what else are could they do?

leave you downstairs infecting everybody?

leave you outside infecting everybody?

deport you whilst infecting everybody? who would fly you?

barricade you in your house and weld the doors closed?

shoot you?

i think they'll just treat you ????

then maybe deport you ????

No time for mindless jokes. 

"Leave you outside while infecting everybody"

Perhaps read up on cruise ships. One docked Japan and 2 others. Crazy solution.

Very simplistic reply from you.