Army chief admits Korat shooting spree reflects poor treatment of army rank-and-file

webfact

This is quite stunning. Whilst this was on TV at my father-in-law's house, they agreed with me that we shouldn't just sit blaming the soldier - have some understanding that it's probably the Army that drove him to it. Not a justification by any means, but it's better to understand his motivation for this crazy and inevitably devastating outburst than just condemn like a moron.

From reports, Sergeant Major Jakrapanth has a brokerage business with commander. This say a lot about Thai military that close their eyes on professional soldiers and high ranking officers having private businesses. This is not how a professional militaries operate. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

From reports, Sergeant Major Jakrapanth has a brokerage business with commander. This say a lot about Thai military that close their eyes on professional soldiers and high ranking officers having private businesses. This is not how a professional militaries operate. 

Who ever said the Thai military was professional??

For your information Mr. Apirat, this madman was a Soldier.

He was a Soldier in the Thai Army

He was a product of your Inadequate welfare and poor treatment by his Superiors.

And yes, you are responsible, very responsible for the Deaths  and Injuries to so many people that you are supposed to be protecting.

Time for you to go now.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

He probably has a few for eating all his dinner up

Many a battle between fork and spoon....

(quote attributed to Major General James Grierson,BEF.1914-"These ribbons represent many a battle between knife and fork.."

Edited by Odysseus123

22 hours ago, legend49 said:

Yes look at the bling he is wearing. The last active service Thais were in was Vietnam I had a battalion of them where I was stationed. That would make this guy 70 years old ( no way), so where did he buy all the pretty awards from?

Probably just like the police who also buy up their fancy ranks as well as all the bling, they pose around all the time in their nice uniforms, and are not noted for being good at their jobs, money buys everything.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, KhunKenAP said:

Thai Army, Navy, Airforce and Marines, get paid worse than police. I know a lower ranking Marine that get 7,000 baht a month and from that they deduct food, uniform and other charges. They are below minimum wages. No wonder some go rouge.  

Their bosses need as much money as possible to buy their fancy ranks and all that bling.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 12:16 PM, BobbyL said:

Good to hear some truth. However, whether or not this will result in positive change remains to be seen. 

He also has an incredibly impressive amount of medals for a man who has never actually fought in a war. 

A certain member of the UK Royal Family springs to mind.:cheesy:

• Like 1

I just don’t understand why he was not given chase and apprehended immediately after the base shooting?  He was not in an inconspicuous vehicle.  Helicopters and police and military personnel should have been instantly activated.  It was at least 1.5 hours until he went to the shopping mall-that’s when it got complicated.  I’m just curious what the disconnect was.

Edited by Redline

On 2/11/2020 at 5:32 AM, bluesofa said:

"Jakrapanth shot dead his commander, Colonel Ananrote Krasae, and a woman, and injured an army private following a heated argument before shooting his way into the arsenal inside the headquarters of the Battle Support Unit 2 in the northeastern province"

My wife tells me the Thai press is saying that the commander put Jakrapanth in military prison after arguing with his boss about non payment of money owed to him by his boss.

Apparently Jakrapanth's army salary worked out to 340 Baht per day, of which 240 Baht was cut for food, etc. while he was in prison.

I hope Colonel Ananrote Krasae was able to pocked the money and that she had several other privates that she withheld money from! Resulting in a nice paycheck / payday for her.

1 hour ago, Redline said:

I just don’t understand why he was not given chase and apprehended immediately after the base shooting?  He was not in an inconspicuous vehicle.  Helicopters and police and military personnel should have been instantly activated.  It was at least 1.5 hours until he went to the shopping mall-that’s when it got complicated.  I’m just curious what the disconnect was.

If you don’t report it , it never happened!

Edited by AlexJohanson

What would happen if Thailand would follow the example of Costa Rica, and have no standing army, just a nominal security force and national police force for those things which are absolutely necessary? Just think how that would attract the tourists.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:49 PM, holy cow cm said:

Yeah, but he cried or shed a tear on TV. Isn't that worth a pay raise?

He is a hypocrite,  seeing he himself opens fire on people only 10 years ago. I can't trust this general, he shouldn't be in this position.

On 2/12/2020 at 5:29 PM, Redline said:

The disconnect put simply is absolute uselessness, completely devoid of any constructive thought other than he was off the base and no longer a military problem. 

• Like 1

Another Pheu MP for the province, Mr. Sirasith Lertduaylarb, said he wondered how one rogue solider could steal several weapons and ammunition from a military armoury to use in the shooting spree.

“It would only take 20-30 people with similar mind sets as the rogue soldier, and we could lose all our tanks as well!” he quipped.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/their-majesties-offer-condolences-to-families-of-those-who-died-in-korat-mass-shooting/

So the secret is out Thailand has only 20-30 tanks...